1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 8:50 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I'm still amazed that this thing had ABS and traction control in the '07s. I've already had to turn off the traction control, but I hope I never have a need for the ABS. 

Untitled photo

If they're air brakes be ready for some exciting characteristics if you do engage the ABS.  Because there's a bit of a delay in the air canisters engaging/disengaging our first ABS buses were a handful in snow and ice behaving like the ABS module was actually an Ouija board.  

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I seem to remember GM making a big deal about putting ABS in every car in the mid 90s as well. I can also see why they would have stopped shortly thereafter.  My brother had a 95 Cavalier and like Patrick said, it wasn't better it just allowed you to drive to a different accident then you originally would have.  My 99 did not have ABS and while not being a better car, it drove much better in bad weather. The cheap ABS seemed very sensitive to tire choice so my brother had the cheapest car possible on the most expensive tires available so it would stop. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/24 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I can imagine. Fords first ABS units in vans were like that. I ran over a short piece of pipe pulling up to a red light. The ABS kicked in and released all braking. I ended up in the intersection just in time for the ABS to drop and stop me in the middle of it. After cleaning my drawers, I pulled the fuse and never put it back. Those systems were worse than nothing at all. 

Luckily I don't drive the EndOver as hard as I did the van. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/24 3:07 p.m.
BoulderG said:

Going way back with the trivia I remember learning:
1974 - 5 mph bumpers [corrected]
1986 - third brake light
1989 - automatic seat belts, including the awful motorized ones [as 'passive restraint']
2018 - mandatory backup camera [corrected]

Automatic belts were only for vehicles that did not have an airbag.  Some cars got airbags, some got the belts.

I kinda liked the GM method.  It mounted to the door and in theory you just left it buckled all the time. Zero people did this.

I hated the VW method. Same as GM but there was NO LAP BELT. AT ALL.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJTT1wmX6ZQaS6TC4PFXROHgrOHVRjTVDsJtclYFYTDVgqNpophCW0zIhQI0knpu