1 2 3 4
grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/11/10 8:54 p.m.

due to work/school/life, its been a while since ive done any real drinking but today i got into a couple of brews today and remembered how much I LOVE BEER. I dont mean like being an alcoholic, i just really enjoy a cold brew after my pizza. winners that ive experienced in the past include: corona (and lime:)), sam adams, st pauli girl, stella artois, and heiney. im an adventurous soul and want to branch out, so i guess this has taken the form of a what beer thread! what else is good?? (dont say pbr)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/10 9:05 p.m.

I'm German so that's kinda reflected in my beer taste; what I found quite palatable recently was:

• Trader Joe's Bavarian (wheat) beer
  • Trader Joe's Dunkelweizen (dark wheat beer)
  • Sierra Nevada Wheat beer

Yeah, so I lived in Munich for a while and still entertain the Bavarian habit of drinking wheat beer in the summer.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
9/11/10 9:18 p.m.

Chimay Belgian ale is a good one. Guiness, India pale ales, and yes the German weiss beers are tasty. Did i mention our challenge team is called hopfen und malz rennensport

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/10 9:46 p.m.

Chimay is superb and best consumed while watching the classic bike racing on the road circuit around Chimay...

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
9/11/10 10:19 p.m.

I really like Leinenkugel, and now that I am somewhere you can actually buy it, I like Yuenglings.

Sweetwater is a good brew if you are ever in the Atlanta area.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/11/10 10:21 p.m.

Time of year for Pumkin Ales... Thats all I have to say for now.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/11/10 11:08 p.m.

First, I admit that I'm not a beer connoisseur. I was visiting Carl Heideman several years ago, and he handed me a PBR. PBR? Yep, it's his beer of choice. Know what? It's pretty much all I have bought since then. If I'm feeling fancy, then I'll go with Red Stripe.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/10 11:16 p.m.

I am a hoppy beer drinker so my recommendations are mostly IPAs.

Pretty much anything Stone brews
Dogfish Head 60 and 90 min IPA, MIdas Touch is also good but very different
Bells Twohearted or Oberon is a decent wheat
I usually don't enjoy wheat beers but Lagunitas Sumtin Sumtin Ale is quite good.

I also tried Chupa Chupacabras Pale Ale for the first time tonight and it was good, especially for being a Mexican brew.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/11/10 11:47 p.m.

Carlsburg, Koestrizer Lager, Wernesgruener Pils, Blue Moon, Busch Lite.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/12/10 12:04 a.m.

This is gonna devolve into one of those "list the most obscure beer you can to look to look classy" threads anytime now.

Having said that I like miller lite, corona, linenkugel, yuengling when I can get it, an hacker schor.

Joey

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/12/10 12:10 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: PBR

bro... come on

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/12/10 12:17 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote:
bro... come on

Honestly, PBR is pretty good. I personally think that its one of the best beer for the money, and last I checked, it is one of the two remaining American owned beer companies--the other being Samuel Adams.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/12/10 12:19 a.m.

Lasko beer.

its from Slovenia and its fantastic.

beer review

just finished off a large amount of em tonight and i cant get over how great it is.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/12/10 12:25 a.m.
mtn wrote:
grimmelshanks wrote:
bro... come on
Honestly, PBR is pretty good. I personally think that its one of the best beer for the money, and last I checked, it is one of the two remaining American owned beer companies--the other being Samuel Adams.

i <3 sam adams, always a good decision. pbr not so much

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/12/10 12:56 a.m.
mtn wrote:
grimmelshanks wrote:
bro... come on

Assuming you're speaking of the large volume breweries, you're still leaving out Yuengling, and Shiner may qualify, too.

Then of course the hundreds of "craft" breweries, Dogfish, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, etc.

As for beer snobbery, well, people should drink what makes them happy, even if it's made with rice. No harm in broadening one's palate, though. Might find something you really like (and hopefully it's not too expensive).

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
9/12/10 1:01 a.m.

I'm "Fully Krausened" tonight. Just got back from the "End of Summer Bash" in La Crosse, WI, home of Heileman's Old Style.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/12/10 1:11 a.m.

Fortunately you live in CA, so there are tons of great beers to choose from.

Your best bet is to go to a local microbrew/brewpub/taphouse and get a taster flight of some different styles and see what tickles your fancy. Then find similar commercial beers.

My favorite brewery is North Coast. I highly recommend you check them out:

Scrimshaw - this is their Pilsener, and will probably be the closest to what you're used to, only better.

Red Seal - I believe this is their flagship, and an excellent all-around ale

PranQster - a Belgian Golden style ale; one of the best beers I've ever had. A step up in strength and complexity, without getting aggressive.

Rather than Stone brewing, check out some of the stuff Lagunitas produces. They're less aggressive. I'm quite partial to their L'il Sumpin' Sumpin' ale.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/12/10 1:11 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I am a hoppy beer drinker so my recommendations are mostly IPAs. Pretty much anything Stone brews Dogfish Head 60 and 90 min IPA, MIdas Touch is also good but very different Bells Twohearted or Oberon is a decent wheat I usually don't enjoy wheat beers but Lagunitas Sumtin Sumtin Ale is quite good. I also tried Chupa Chupacabras Pale Ale for the first time tonight and it was good, especially for being a Mexican brew.

How bout some Pliny the Elder? There's a place near here that has it on tap!

dj5000000
dj5000000 New Reader
9/12/10 1:30 a.m.

Yuengling.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/12/10 5:12 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: This is gonna devolve into one of those "list the most obscure beer you can to look to look classy" threads anytime now.

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a mans hat. That or Becks.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
9/12/10 6:32 a.m.

My wife has a Bavarian background, and is an accomplished drinker.

She introduced me to weizen, and I will ocassionally brew a batch.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
9/12/10 6:32 a.m.

Summer is over, so I forgot about Oberon. As a Kalamazoo native, I used to look forward to oberon day as if it were Christmas!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/12/10 7:47 a.m.

According to the wiki, Yeungling is the second-largest American-owned beer company. Don't know where that leaves PBR.

I think I'll pick up a six of PBR to see what all the fuss is about. Gotta be 20 years since I've had one.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
9/12/10 8:15 a.m.

If you get six of PBR, tastes best out of tallboys/pounders. My tastes tend to lean towards Sam Adams but lately i've been drinking a lot of Narragansett since it has come down into PA. I have to conclude that it is a fantastic beer. Also, PBR has turned into a daily driver/drink while out beer since it is cheap and tasty. Yeungling is a good fallback while being out if the place has a crappy selection. I started a liking to Tecate also.

Speaking of Red Stripe, I had it for the first time last night in pounder/tallboy form and it was pretty tasty. Much better than in bottle form. Wish it wasn't so damn expensive in case form!

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
9/12/10 9:39 a.m.

I don't know if you can get it, but, anything from the Spoetzl Brewery (pronounced Spet-zle) in Shiner, TX. I haven't had a bad one yet.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ASB4M1WgUEs2atM1ZCeZDFIrAyfvbbmoBChb1ywWpx0gzAuPrI7oHwxLKF0xDgG2