Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/24 7:24 p.m.

I guess last fall's deer encounter with the Supra wasn't recent enough.

Wild turkey nailed the passenger side of the X5 on the way home today, demolishing the passenger side mirror and denting up the door.

I bet this exceeds my $1000 comprehensive deductible, even if if the door might be able to be PDR'd.

I doubt the turkey survived, but I definitely had a chance to look it in the eye before its demise.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/21/24 7:50 p.m.

I bet the turkey feels worse than you do.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/24 8:35 p.m.

You should have turned around and double tapped. Run his ass over again. Just to be sure

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/22/24 7:32 a.m.

How's he taste?

Karacticus
6/22/24 7:51 a.m.
914Driver said:

How's he taste?

Don't know, but certainly not good enough to justify a $1000 comprehensive deductible.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/22/24 10:25 a.m.

I feel you

don't know how she kept running after I hit her that hard

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/24 7:28 p.m.
914Driver said:

How's he taste?

One time in Rally Barbados a duck got hit on a stage in the north of the island. Kinda sad at first because the duck seemed to have a partner that mourned over it. Anyway, the duck became part of the BBQ at the finish.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/23/24 7:33 a.m.

Heck, the mirror is probably $1000. And ain't no PDR tech on the planet good enough to straighten that door.

Let me also chime in as an industry insider that a $1000 comp deductible is, frankly, foolish. That coverage is so inexpensive compared to collision you should have the lowest deductible possible. Like, $100.

My educational example is a windshield. They get broken all the time, through no fault of anyone but fate. Most windshields are $300-$600. If they have whiz-bang electronics related to them, double it. But say you need a $498 windshield. You have a $500 or $1000 deductible. You'll get ZERO from insurance. So you're paying for coverage you can't actually use except in extreme circumstances. And every time a stone hits it, or a turkey, or a deer, you have to come up with a grand to get the car fixed. False economy, IMO.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/23/24 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Well, be thankful you weren't on a motorcycle. 

Karacticus
6/24/24 10:40 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Talking to my (independent) agent, things have reached a point where they aren't generally able to write a policy with a comprehensive deductible less than $1000.  While they would be able to do a $500 deductible with my current carrier (West Bend), it would depend on whether there's been a recent comprehensive claim or not, and unfortunately that's the case with the deer last fall on the Supra.

I've got homeowner's on the same policy as well, and that just went up due to me having just replaced the roof, which needed doing after 20 years.  Insurance wasn't going to cover anything on a 20 year old roof, but with a new one they do.

With two drivers, the house, three late model cars and two trailers, I'm at just under $750/month for insurance.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/24/24 1:12 p.m.

I had a similar experience right after I got my new 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S, just driving along on a 6 lane highway when something came up out of the median grass and nailed me hard - hit the drivers window (scared the crap out of me) and it sounded like someone hit my window with a hammer, and put a dent in the roof!

I do have $100 collision deductible for all the reasons ddavidv says, and about every two or three years I get a new windshield due to a rock or something cracking it. For my cars it's def worthwhile. 

$750/mo sounds like an insane amount to pay for insurance, but if you lump in all the things we insure now it really adds up. We insure 3 cars and a home, and for just two ticket-free adult drivers mine is just over $500/mo! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sUbKRcZG9j6lxGk6bDTzHhAEMIylmtolu4N4OANiT01iwJyL9aWYVTNCLSO2BIIx