poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/20/11 9:22 p.m.

Oh wow.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/11 9:24 p.m.

Wikipedia:

An automobile, autocar, motor car or car is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transporting passengers, which also carries its own engine or motor. Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to have seating for one to eight people, to typically have four wheels, and to be constructed principally for the transport of people rather than goods.[3]
So, the best would be the one that does the best job of carrying the most people, right? This must be the definitive answer.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/11 9:25 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'll take one of these.

Please tell me it has a rear-facing third row seat.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/11 11:35 p.m.

^ From drooling over one at a car show I do not think they have one.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/21/11 7:51 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: So, the best [car] would be the one that does the best job of carrying the most people, right? This must be the definitive answer.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/21/11 8:00 a.m.

If only the stack was a little bigger....

http://nwga.craigslist.org/cto/2643349706.html

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
10/21/11 8:24 a.m.

Volvo 244 Turbo...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
10/21/11 11:31 a.m.

Best car in the world? Easy. 1984 Toyota Celica ST.

What?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
10/21/11 11:34 a.m.

I'll take one of these.

Yeah. I like those. Too new for my wallet, but along those lines, I'd kinda like to find one of these at a good price.

Toyman01 wrote:
mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/21/11 11:34 a.m.

We will not discuss the things I would be willing to do to own that. I'm fairly sure that the CIA is already scanning my brain and preparing to arrest me for thought-crime.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/21/11 1:15 p.m.

e30 M3 Evo II

Because it's the winningest race car in history.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/21/11 1:18 p.m.

Because it's the last truly manual supercar.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/21/11 2:28 p.m.

IMO Toyota corolla comes the closest of any mentiioned. Most people mentioned the best performing or best looking car that they can think of, but many of them would be horrible at being a car (which to me means transportation to places that you aren't going to walk it ride a bike, reliably, in any reasonable weather and road conditions). I would say a OM617 powered Mercedes would be pretty good too, they are great for anywhere you want to drive, and will last 800k miles.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
10/21/11 3:43 p.m.

+1 on the STI. It is just as well rounded as the Audis mentioned earlier, but much cheaper to buy into and it won't break down.

I mean how many other cars could you use to commute to work, haul stuff in the hatch back, carry 4 friends in comfort, canyon carve in the rain, take to the mountains in the snow, go to a track day, and set FTD at a RallyX.

Oh yeah, and you can do that without changing anything more than tires, maybe not even that if you are not too worried about the FTD part.

I want one.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/21/11 3:57 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Fuel Economy: Probably not bad if you lower it a little, put some larger wheels/tires on it, and stay out of the boost. I'm thinking 30+mpg hwy is easily attainable.

Nope. Not happening.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/21/11 4:17 p.m.

AMC Eagle Station wagon--- the template for every "crossover" machine on the market today.

utilitarian, unstoppable, and oh so sexy for the ladies!

end of thread

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/21/11 4:29 p.m.

Thought this was already decided in the earlier Dr. Boost thread.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/21/11 4:45 p.m.
Joshua wrote: Because it's the winningest race car in history.

Umm... not really.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/11 5:49 p.m.

What more objective way could the question be answered than to look at what people choose to buy.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/21/11 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

What do you mean not really!?!? Did wikipedia lie to me?

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
10/21/11 6:50 p.m.

I was gonna say my wagon....89 Country Squire....300 hp, outhandles miatas, gets OK milage, seats 8 and can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back and can close the tailgate....

But, yeah... I like the caddy better.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
10/21/11 8:44 p.m.

For 30 grand, you should be able to buy around 45 of these. One would always start, you could carry 224 of your closest friends, and you'd have enough cars to restart the Spec Neon class.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/21/11 9:05 p.m.
Joshua wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: What do you mean not really!?!? Did wikipedia lie to me?

Well, it might be the winningest touring car for a few sanctioned series - but I believe it is impossible for any production based car, muchless one with a reasonably short production run to have more overall wins in the greater sphere of racing than a Porsche 911. I would go as far as to guess the E36 chassis has more touring car wins by now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cuFgrfK0k0499Dlf2xmK4poloQ7OmEdkBy9MnQxMMhLewayxBdWsPzpu1KDjpt96