1 2
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/10 10:12 a.m.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/1792274040.html
Giant Cypress, no suspension to worry about. Can't beat the price at $30.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/1762641380.html
This one is newer and has suspension, for $250.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/25/10 10:24 a.m.

you do realize that Dave was looking for an Atlanta CL bike two years ago, right? and i'm not going from Philly to Atlanta to buy a bike.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/25/10 10:27 a.m.
Buzz Killington wrote: you do realize that Dave was looking for an Atlanta CL bike two years ago, right? and i'm not going from Philly to Atlanta to buy a bike.

I LOLed

EastCoastMojo
6/25/10 10:33 a.m.

You know you want to drive down to Hotlanta. The trek wins over that mongoose.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/25/10 11:11 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: You know you want to drive down to Hotlanta.

ATL is an awesome town, but it's hot enough up here. besides, after seeing the kinds of Atlanta CL goodness that pops up on these boards, i should stay away from the area lest i end up forced to sleep in that caged Swift GT i'd end up bringing home.

EastCoastMojo wrote: The trek wins over that mongoose.

learn me.

EastCoastMojo
6/25/10 11:24 a.m.

Trek has a better quality frame construction than recent issue Mongeese, and looks to be in better shape - I see rust on the mongoose rotors. Ride 'em both and see how they fit and feel.
I will say that if you go into a bike shop, you are going to be riding different bikes. That's not going to tell you much about the two bikes in question. If the battle is between those two, arrange to test drive them and then take it from there. Different brands and even different models from the same brand will have different geometry and handling, some may feel good to you and some may not. Test ride the bike(s) you want to buy.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/25/10 12:26 p.m.
gamby wrote: Finding wheels that will support a 300 pounder is a bit tricky. You'll hear creaking spokes on a lower-end wheelset.

My spokes creak and I'm only 170. Are you saying I have cheap wheels?

EastCoastMojo
6/25/10 2:34 p.m.

If the spokes are black they do tend to creak because of the texture the paint or anodizing can leave on them, a little dry lube can help that go away, just apply at the point where the spokes cross each other.

If they are silver spokes and creak under load then your wheels are probably undertensioned. This will make for less durable wheels in the long run, so it's worth having a bike mechanic check it out.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
6/25/10 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Buzz Killington:

You sure 18" isn't on the small side?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/25/10 2:45 p.m.

"That's what she said"
-Michael Scott
Regional Manager
(and a hot link ftw)

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/25/10 4:40 p.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: In reply to Buzz Killington: You sure 18" isn't on the small side?

that's one of my questions. i'm worried that it is, but the only answer seem to be to sit on the bike itself to see...sitting on another 18" frame apparently won't tell me anything.

some of the intArweb sizing guides say 18" for my height/inseam; some say 20". FWIW, the guy selling the mongoose says he's 5'10" (I'm 6') with the same 32" inseam as me, and the bike's height is fine but the reach is a bit far for the handlebars. so it might work well for me given my additional height and the fact that my arms are long for my height. shrug we'll see.

EastCoastMojo
6/25/10 4:53 p.m.

Make sure when you stand over the frame that you have at least 1" of clearence, usually 1" - 2" is good for any riding that might include off road/gravel. you can get away with less, but you know what the consequences will be if you land on that tube. Lots of clearence, like 4", usually means that the bike will feel cramped in the reach, and may handle weird due to so much of your weight being forward/on top of the handlebar instead of behind it. The other part of fit is the reach, but this part is adjustable to some degree with a different stem, possibly a different handlebar. The standover height test is first, because you can't change that without getting a different size bike. Bikes with different size wheels may have the same frame size but have a very different stand over height clearences. That's why I suggested to make sure you are doing this test on the bike you are actually looking to pay money for. It's not that standing over other bikes in a store won't tell you anything, they might just confuse the issue.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/27/10 8:14 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: If the spokes are black they do tend to creak because of the texture the paint or anodizing can leave on them, a little dry lube can help that go away, just apply at the point where the spokes cross each other. If they are silver spokes and creak under load then your wheels are probably undertensioned. This will make for less durable wheels in the long run, so it's worth having a bike mechanic check it out.

"bike mechanic." LOL.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/27/10 9:18 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote: If the spokes are black they do tend to creak because of the texture the paint or anodizing can leave on them, a little dry lube can help that go away, just apply at the point where the spokes cross each other. If they are silver spokes and creak under load then your wheels are probably undertensioned. This will make for less durable wheels in the long run, so it's worth having a bike mechanic check it out.
"bike mechanic." LOL.

before you lol.. True a few wheels yourself, install a bottombracket/headset right, or lace a wheel..

or do this while going 20mph..

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/27/10 7:58 p.m.

In reply to ignorant:

Done all that, except for that last bit. I've maintained my own bike since I was twelve. Not exactly rocket science.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/28/10 12:18 a.m.

Just till you mess with a de-railer. They're made out of the same voodoo as auto transmissions.

EastCoastMojo
6/28/10 11:17 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to ignorant: Done all that, except for that last bit. I've maintained my own bike since I was twelve. Not exactly rocket science.

That's why I didn't recommend to take it to a rocket mechanic.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/29/10 10:13 a.m.

alright Dave, you will love me for this one:

This sale is for a year and a half old Big Wheel Bike. It is loads of fun to ride and curious people always want to look at it so be prepared to converse with folks. It only has a short learning curve before it is off you go. It has never been in the rain and it was recently maitained at the bike shop. The tires/spokes are true. It has front and rear brakes, free spinning pedals and a old timey bell. Anyone one of any size can ride it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/1816201397.html

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/29/10 10:35 a.m.

Wow. That would be a pretty awesome pit bike. I'd ride it with a top hat.

EastCoastMojo
6/29/10 10:37 a.m.

Need to work on a handlebar moustache.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/29/10 6:36 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to ignorant: Done all that, except for that last bit. I've maintained my own bike since I was twelve. Not exactly rocket science.

you've installed bottom brackets? Do you have the proper tools to face the shell? Or the right press for a headset?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/29/10 7:20 p.m.

I have an old Moongoose XR-100 that won't die. It is 8 or 9 years old and has lived the last three years of it outside. The best thing about it is the brakes.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
6/30/10 7:42 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: alright Dave, you will love me for this one:
This sale is for a year and a half old Big Wheel Bike. It is loads of fun to ride and curious people always want to look at it so be prepared to converse with folks. It only has a short learning curve before it is off you go. It has never been in the rain and it was recently maitained at the bike shop. The tires/spokes are true. It has front and rear brakes, free spinning pedals and a old timey bell. Anyone one of any size can ride it.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/1816201397.html

i've been wondering where my velocipede had got to.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
7/3/10 4:17 p.m.

i saw a guy riding a unicycle the other day. does not look like fun.

found a bike...an '09 Diamondback Insight 1 on clearance at REI.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/performance-hybrid/2009-performance-hybrids/insight-1-09/

i rode a few bikes, including a Marin Muirwoods 29, a Novara Buzz, and the Diamondback. Suprisingly (given the prices) liked the DB the best and the Marin the least. the DB certainly doesn't have the highest-end components, but for a starter hybrid i think it will do OK on the gravel roads and suburban/city streets i plan on riding. i can always swap out for better stuff later if i feel like it's holding me back. the bike is super light, though, which is nice. it was the most comfortable for me on the road, and rode better than the Novara (but not as well as the Marin) off-road (aka, a poorly-tended and rutted grass field).

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/3/10 11:04 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
"bike mechanic." LOL.

Speaking as a bike mechanic, you'd be stunned at how few people even know how to operate gears correctly--never mind knowing how to work on the damn thing.

I'm 195 and my wheels hold up pretty well on both my road and mountain bikes, FWIW. I've found that 280+ dudes really put a strain on a lower-end wheelset. A well-built doublewall is a must.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0A8CzpI9UBGwKwrqxOa6uZ8XbCWJXZGeEH130MsrbgnQCqT5X6PxsRVbVBRKaUJ