1 2 3
Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 7:15 p.m.

What's it like? There's a possibility I may be moving there this summer and I have no idea what it's like. I stayed in Ithaca for a month once, and I liked it there. Is there any sort of autox scene in the area? I regret not doing more of that in this area, but I want to do more.

I see housing is affordable, so that's nice. I grew up in Wisconsin, and now I'm in Boston. Binghamton is between them, so I assume the climate is between them as well?

Does anyone have info that I couldn't glean from some googling?

peter
peter HalfDork
2/13/13 7:25 p.m.

You will need to get to know and love the spiedie.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/13/13 7:47 p.m.

I would imagine the weather would be milder than either of those two. The dirt oval is big time in that area, and you'd be pretty close to super dirt week.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/13 7:49 p.m.

I don't know about autox in the area but you are not far from Watkins Glen and a number of paved and dirt ovals. There are also some pretty nice museums like Corning Glass and some of the most beautiful scenery in NY.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/13/13 7:53 p.m.

Spiedies rock. Get used to high-ish local taxes. NY's little towns and municipalities like to have 6 cops for every one citizen and pay top dollar to make sure that only creationism is taught in their schools.

I'm kidding. Sorta. I will say that its a conservative area, but in a good way. I fully enjoy it

You will also be blessed by some of the finest sweet corn you've ever been privileged to sample.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/13/13 8:04 p.m.

I'm about half way between Ithaca and Binghamton. It is quite different from Ithaca, the atmosphere to me is typical NE small city, depressing. The SCCA region is decent, about 2-3 weeks between events. If I was going to be in Broom, I would try to find a place a few miles west in Vestal, or even as far out as Owego.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
2/13/13 8:36 p.m.

Besides speidies from Lupo's, there's also Nirchi's and Roma's pizza... yum!

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 8:59 p.m.

Depressing, eh? I find Boston angering, so I guess depressing would be a step up. I'm not really into oval track stuff, but I probably wouldn't be opposed to watching it now and again. Are the taxes worse than here in Taxachusetts?

How about auto inspection? Would my 1987 van be grandfathered in emissions-wise?

I'm big pro-scenery, so that's good. I always complain that I can't get far enough away from people in eastern mass, so maybe it'll be perfect for me? I do plan on visiting soon before I make a decision. I'm moving for school, and I haven't heard from any other programs yet, so I may have more options. I just want to make sure i'll be able to tolerate it, because it's a doctoral program so i'll be there a long time...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/13/13 9:18 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I always complain that I can't get far enough away from people in eastern mass, so maybe it'll be perfect for me?

I'm hurt!!!

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 9:23 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
Rufledt wrote: I always complain that I can't get far enough away from people in eastern mass, so maybe it'll be perfect for me?
I'm hurt!!!

Hey, if I lived in your neck of the woods I'd probably never want to leave, but there aren't any schools for me there!

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/13/13 9:26 p.m.

Pre obd2, as long as you have cats. School, BU? That is actually in vestal.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 9:27 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I'm about half way between Ithaca and Binghamton. It is quite different from Ithaca, the atmosphere to me is typical NE small city, depressing. The SCCA region is decent, about 2-3 weeks between events. If I was going to be in Broom, I would try to find a place a few miles west in Vestal, or even as far out as Owego.

I'm 60 miles south and, +1, depressing.

West toward the finger lakes (and the Glen!) or north east out toward Lake George is beautiful. There is nice country in all directions for that matter - it is just the towns are old mfg hubs that died in the 70s and look every bit the part.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 9:28 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Pre obd2, as long as you have cats. School, BU? That is actually in vestal.

Damn. do they have to be factory cats, or do aftermarket ones count? Do they actually check with a sniffer, or just look?

Vestal, eh? I assume driving around there isn't as time-consuming as it is in Boston.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/13/13 9:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
neon4891 wrote: I'm about half way between Ithaca and Binghamton. It is quite different from Ithaca, the atmosphere to me is typical NE small city, depressing. The SCCA region is decent, about 2-3 weeks between events. If I was going to be in Broom, I would try to find a place a few miles west in Vestal, or even as far out as Owego.
I'm 60 miles south and, +1, depressing. West toward the finger lakes (and the Glen!) or north east out toward Lake George is beautiful. There is nice country in all directions for that matter - it is just the towns are old mfg hubs that died in the 70s and look every bit the part.

This! He describes it better.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 9:33 p.m.

Ah, that almost happened to my hometown when the GM plant closed not long ago. Now there is a lot of activity at the plant, but they're still keeping their mouths closed as far as I know.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
2/13/13 9:44 p.m.

Ah, school. Makes sense. I originally suspected a summer internship or job transfer - there's only a couple of big names in the immediate area.

Do you like Genesse "Genny" Cream Ale?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 9:51 p.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: Ah, school. Makes sense. I originally suspected a summer internship or job transfer - there's only a couple of big names in the immediate area. Do you like Genesse "Genny" Cream Ale?

No need to settle for that swill water - there is GOOD beer in PA and NY.

Ommegang
Southern Tier Brewery
Guilded Otter

To name just three in NY within an hours drive... (plus, they sell it in bars :) )

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/13 10:23 p.m.

Ommegang is very good.

If you enjoy outdoor activities, Binghamton will be pretty good. There is some good fishing below the dam on the river, but go a bit east and you can hit the Pepacton reservoir- if they still allow fishing there.

You're not too far from NYC there if you want to get away for a day and do bigger city things.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/13/13 10:28 p.m.

I miss outdoor activities. i used to go cycling or mountain biking most days of the week growing up. I never did as much fishing but it could still be fun. As for beer, I actually don't drink. Yes, I know, i'm disgracing my home state of Wisconsin every time I say that. I actually rendered one of my current prof's speechless from sheer lack of understanding when I told him that, like I shook one of his foundational beliefs about mankind. I'm more into caffeine than alcohol. I berkleying LOVE that stuff.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
2/13/13 10:49 p.m.

I'm about 12 miles north of the Glen. I'm going to give you some of the things about NY that I see as positive.

If you like wine, beer, hard cider, hard spirits and/or food (both prepared and the local bounty, when in season), we have you covered.

There is an 1/8 mile drag strip up in them there hills, somewhere.

Woman can go topless in NY state.

FBM is in Johnson City, so there is a +1 for the Binghamton metropolitan area, if you are in to BMX.

Ithaca is gorges, among many other things and not too far off.

The Megabus to New York City can be had for as little as $30 round trip.

SCCA regions which may have events close enough to bother with are: Southern New York Region, Glen Region, Central New York Region, Finger Lakes Region and, maybe, Northeastern Pennsylvania Region.

The icing on my poorly crafted cake: There is a Harbor Freight store in Vestal.

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
2/13/13 10:59 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: I miss outdoor activities. i used to go cycling or mountain biking most days of the week growing up. I never did as much fishing but it could still be fun. As for beer, I actually don't drink. Yes, I know, i'm disgracing my home state of Wisconsin every time I say that. I actually rendered one of my current prof's speechless from sheer lack of understanding when I told him that, like I shook one of his foundational beliefs about mankind. I'm more into caffeine than alcohol. I berkleying LOVE that stuff.

Ithaca has good coffee available, I can't comment on Binghamton.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
2/13/13 11:09 p.m.

I was born in Binghamton but never lived anywhere near there only in PA I'm near Wilkes-barre. Just wanted to add that spiedies are amazing and now I want some

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/14/13 12:24 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Depressing, eh? I find Boston angering

Apt adjective.

Binghamton should be much more laid back. Granted, most places are more laid back than Boston--pretty low bar to set.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
2/14/13 8:30 a.m.
gamby wrote:
Rufledt wrote: Depressing, eh? I find Boston angering
Apt adjective. Binghamton should be much more laid back. Granted, most places are more laid back than Boston--pretty low bar to set.

Truth. I spent some time working in Binghampton and found it to be a neat little quiet old town. Also of relevance, there is a new track opening up not far out of Albany- http://www.nysafetytrack.com/

Supposed to open up this summer.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/13 10:43 a.m.

I went to college in Elmira, so I know the area pretty well. To give you some context, the Binghamton to Elmira trip is about 60 miles of the most boring highway ever. Thankfully they raised the Speed Limit of that stretch from 55 to 65, which helped a lot. The scenery is incredible and weather in the summer is beautiful. Plenty of scenic places around, but if you expect a lot of activity, it's not the place for you. It can get pretty depressing out there in the winter. If you do go there, plan to do a lot of driving to places, nothing is close by.

I grew up in central CT, and the climate was similar. Maybe slightly more snow in Binghamton and slightly colder, although some years we got more snow in CT. They assume you can drive in the snow out there, plowing in Elmira was never very good.

Cost of living is very reasonable for what you get.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6xSeK9vXPu9EXbGCENah0nTZxcff00PDzRnliZpCNmYskCBjgzgOYjk7MuEJTnxo