1 ... 96 97 98
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/24 10:23 a.m.

Anyone mess with air rifles here?  I have a 10 shot Gamo Swarm in .177 that has been my go to for the chipmunks that try to make homes in my vinyl siding and under my shed.  I've started to have problems with raccoons lately and they seem to be too smart or too strong for my traps.  I just picked a PCP air rifle to be my Raccoon Remover 3000 Air Venturi Avenger in 25 cal, 8 shot magazine, side lever action. Dead quiet and laser accurate compared to my break barrel Gamo.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 10:26 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

A decent scope and you will be fine.  You may need a bit more magnification than someone else.  I  have glasses and don't have any issues.  I like to get scopes that are a bit over-magnified rather than under.  You can always dial it back a little.  Also, most scopes, and especially LPVO's, have more distortion at the extreme ends of their range, especially in the less expensive ones.  In some cases, getting a cheaper scope with a bit more magnification is cheaper than a high-quality one in which you are running out to the max magnification.  

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/18/24 4:03 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I have a Umarex Notos that I use for small pests.  It's impressively accurate.

For something raccoon sized, I'd just use one of my .22s with a suppressor, but a .25 cal airgun will probably get it done.

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/18/24 4:07 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I went with the Ruger and was not disappointed at all. 

I found a Ruger Gen2 Ranch in town this morning, and it looks like a pretty decent rifle, and a really great value.  I ended up ordering a Rem 700 SPS Tactical...  the deciding factor for me was the much better aftermarket for the Remington, especially triggers.  I have a Triggertech in my Bergara 6.5CM and love it.  They don't make one for the Ruger.

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/18/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

If your friend decides on an AR, this is a smokin' deal at $479 with free shipping:  PSA 16" 5.56

I have basically the identical rifle.  I swapped in a Geissele trigger and with a 1-10x LPVO it's an MOA rifle with decent ammo.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
10/18/24 5:09 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

He's been looking at those pretty hard, too. We put him behind a couple ARs last weekend just to try them out. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/24 8:26 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Anyone mess with air rifles here?  I have a 10 shot Gamo Swarm in .177 that has been my go to for the chipmunks that try to make homes in my vinyl siding and under my shed.  I've started to have problems with raccoons lately and they seem to be too smart or too strong for my traps.  I just picked a PCP air rifle to be my Raccoon Remover 3000 Air Venturi Avenger in 25 cal, 8 shot magazine, side lever action. Dead quiet and laser accurate compared to my break barrel Gamo.

I have a break barrel Gamo, and I need to get it out and try one more time to sight it in.  I've never been able to get it to group very tightly.  Makes a bit of a noise also.  Believe it's .22 cal. 

Not sure I'm in the market for another air rifle, but I'm curious to know how accurate they can be, since my Gamo is disappointing in that regard.

1 ... 96 97 98

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TiEhZkKvDLnPjnyx1tH5UhABDZIVf87QYmoUtCrJfIdLwUMPi7AB3t33mwEaUMjs