1 2
iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/8/16 9:22 a.m.

When in Air Force basic we fired a few rounds at a target with the 1911 pistol and a few rounds from a "grease gun". Now that was one crude weapon.

A couple years later some official discovered we had not qualified in firearms since basic. So off to the range we went. Fire a few rounds. Instructor marked us as qualified.

This was all for a group of aircraft mechanic instructors.

Not much need for a weapon here.

jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
7/8/16 9:30 a.m.

I just got back into shooting recently. Been enjoying pistols more now. To me pistol shooting is a good challenge at a reasonable distance. Finding a place to shoot rifles or shotguns in doors at a challenging distance can be a challenge. A pistol at 50ft is fun for a long time.

Jon

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/16 9:33 a.m.

Glad you moved out of your comfort zone, tried it, and enjoyed yourself. "Controversial" subjects might become less controversial once we expose ourselves to them.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/8/16 9:38 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Glad you moved out of your comfort zone, tried it, and enjoined yourself. "Controversial" subjects might become less controversial once we expose ourselves to them.

This. A little familiarity goes a long way toward reducing the inherent "evil" of an object.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/16 9:42 a.m.

Or people, or ideas.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/8/16 9:43 a.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to foxtrapper: Just seems like it should be covered in basic ...

It is, at a basic or boot camp level.

The Army and Marine Corps basic training will cover it a bit more than say the Navy, because of their mission (This is my gun, there are many like it, but this one is mine).

The Navy basic training on the other hand will go further into knots and ropes and fire fighting, because that is more fundamental to their mission.

All of them will have more specialized training later on. If a members duty calls for more extensive firearms training, they will receive it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
7/8/16 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

At least part of why I wanted to try it. I'm still not a "gun person" (trying not use the "gun nut" phrase at all) but I'm glad I gave it a shot. Pun intended completely. I meant to ask the staff exactly what it would take to buy one of their guns for sale, with gun control being a hot topic. I asked on Facebook last night, got some valuable information. Knowledge is always good.

And no, even during Desert Storm I never felt like I needed a gun. I just made the ship go, and send off planes full of bombs and stuff. And hoped we didn't hit any mines. (We didn't.) I don't remember why the gun range was closed during boot camp, but it also meant we didn't have to do the tear gas/gas mask drill either!

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
7/8/16 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Exactly correct Jerry, there is a reason you have different specialties around. Some need to know hand weapons, some need to know the giant microwaves, others need to know how to fix jet engines, and others need to know how to scram the reactors. All equally worthy assignments IMHO.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/16 10:25 a.m.

If the person in the engine room is in a position that they need a weapon things are not going well. I am currently in a Unit that has @ 400 people in it with only @ 30 rifles so even in the Army shooting is job driven.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/8/16 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Happy to hear you tied something new, and liked it. I've been shooting since I was a young pup, first air rifle at ~10 first shotgun of my very own (still have it) at ~14. I shot competitively in high school, 4-H Shooting Sports, had a lot of fun, my favorite sport was .22 silhouette, but sporting clays was pretty fun too.

I don't so much mind the term "gun nut" withing context, I'm very much a gun nut, in the same way I'm a Jeep, Volvo, video game, Thai food, BBQ, and fishing nut.

We took some of our closest friends (husband & wife) shooting last Summer, one for the first time, the other had shot a .22 or something in high school. They are much more liberal than SWMBO or I, fairly anti gun but curious. I'm not one to push an agenda, boy howdy you can bet I'll defend our rights, but if you don't like guns, that's fine with me, I don't like grapes nor grape flavored things, to each their own. Anyway over the years we've had a few adult civil discussions on the subject, I offered to take them shooting, they finally took us up on it, and according to them, they had an absolute blast. They've since asked me for my opinion of a few different shotguns as they shop for their first gun.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/16 10:42 a.m.

I can tell you that the Canadian reserves make their new recruits spend time on the range, even if they're only military musicians. And if you're sending the musician reservists in to battle, you're in trouble.

I use to joke that I've never fired anything that wasn't full auto That's not true anymore, since I came to the US I've spent an afternoon at the range firing more pedestrian stuff. The mechanical part of firearms are cool, but the shooting isn't any more exciting to me than taking pictures with a a long lens - and uses a lot of the same abilities.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/8/16 11:12 a.m.

Ha! I had the same item on my bucket list, and finally fired a gun for the first time in my life last year at 39. The funny thing is that I owned the gun and had for a couple years at that point. I got a Mossberg 835 in partial trade for my old 3/4 ton Chevy pickup and it just so happened that some friends of mine are into shooting sport clays. They were going out for the day and baby was out of town traveling with mama so I joined them.

We shot at 100 targets each and I had an absolute blast! I hit 44 of them, which I felt was pretty good for the first time ever even firing a gun. It was funny seeing my camo pump-action Mossberg at the range versus their beautiful Benelli break action guns.

I want to go back, and will go back, but it's hard to find an afternoon off nowadays.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
7/8/16 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

A little familiarity goes a long way when we expose ourselves to people. Lol.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
7/8/16 12:20 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I'm trying to convince my highly talented musician daughter to join the military and see if she can be part of a military band.

I have a good friend in the Army Reserves that has been in a military band for years. She loves it.

Keith Tanner
7/8/16 3:19 p.m.

It's a good gig, but it helps if you like marches

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
7/8/16 11:13 p.m.

Yeah, but straight to E-6 is nice. That's how it is in the CG at least (for band members).

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/16 12:18 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Yeah, but straight to E-6 is nice. That's how it is in the CG at least (for band members).

Yeah, straight to E-6 is killer! I made E-5 in less than 4 years (nearly a miracle for the USMC) and still stared down the "Thank you for your service" discharge for not making E-6 within 12 years. I became a civilian after 6 years because I was not willing to make that gamble. The Corps completely killed what I did 4 years after I was discharged, so I think I made the right choice...

Regarding the OP, glad you got to blast some rounds at a target! It can be a lot of fun if you are looking for a good time. It can also be a serious deal if you need or want it to be so...

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/16 12:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's a good gig, but it helps if you like marches

My "call sign" in boot camp was "My Unrhythmical Mother berkeleying Recruit!"

I wasn't into "marches"...

Keith Tanner
7/9/16 1:16 a.m.

A previous gig of mine. Not a good choice if you don't like drill and more drill and really shiny boots. The July 4th changing of the guard was my favorite because we got to shelve all the British marches for the day, and Alford just can't rock a march like JP Sousa can.

We never got to throw grenades during basic, though. That was a disappointment.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
7/9/16 9:06 a.m.

Former 2nd Marine Division Band member here. Had to do regular boot camp and infantry training. Best and worst experience of my young life. Lots of travel and worked with some incredible musicians. Also was qualified as a 50 caliber machine gunner! My MOS was 5534/37, clarinet and saxophone. Besides the 50 I shot the M1, M14, 3.5 rocket launcher, 1911 .45 cal pistol and threw a few grenades.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/16 1:11 p.m.

But to be fair, all Marines are rifleman first. (;)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giTtSd6k3gXAUCBIVRpGMdgww3949KxBTGEv1366sTF6mJJsIoQmOV7xguBxhIL7