1 2
drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/28/15 8:38 p.m.

Looking at two used cars. Both are '07s, Lucerne (3.8 v6) vs Camry (4 cyl), both auto trans. Both around 125k miles, in good shape appearance wise. Gas mileage ratings surprisingly are not far from one another. I woulda thought the 4 cyl would be rated quite a bit higher. Both are priced fairly close to one another. As for use it would become my daily driver, usually 30 miles a day. Hauling kids around periodically to.

Dependability and reliability are my main concerns. Im hoping some here can offer some experience, wisdom, etc either for or against these two choices.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/28/15 8:45 p.m.

Get the Toyota.

I have driven my mother's Buick, which is either that car or one real close to it, with ~60K on it. It's a POS. My 97 Camry with 225K on the clock is tighter, drives better and is all around a better car.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/15 8:53 p.m.

buick. 3.8 is indestructible and buicks are more comfortable. or buy beige camry and fall in line with the rest of the masses.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
2/28/15 8:58 p.m.

Timing belt or chain on either?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/15 9:15 p.m.

chain on buick

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
2/28/15 9:32 p.m.

My daughters have a 2002 Camery 4cyl with 280,000 miles.Solid car,every thing works,never breaks down.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/28/15 11:17 p.m.

Camry. The buick will eventually devaluate. The Camry is probably already at the bottom. You're not buying these for fun.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/1/15 12:49 a.m.

Buick. More power, more luxury. Camrys are overrated IMO.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/1/15 6:21 a.m.

I'd say get the Buick, because anything is more interesting than a 4-cylinder Camry. But...if reliability is the top issue, your hands are tied.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/1/15 6:32 a.m.

Whichever one physically fits you better. I doubt you'll actually enjoy either one, so you might as well be comfortable in your self loathing.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/1/15 7:37 a.m.

Camry. The body will go back to the earth before bad mechanical things happen.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/1/15 7:47 a.m.

Camry-tastic adventure. With a few suspension bits, wheels, and tires it might not be too much of a soul suck.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/1/15 8:43 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Buick. More power, more luxury. Camrys are overrated IMO.

+1. 95% of toyotas are overrated. Sheeple gonna be sheeple.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/1/15 9:10 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: +1. 95% of toyotas are overrated. Sheeple gonna be sheeple.

Haters gonna hate.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/1/15 9:25 a.m.

I would think that 2007 is still in the "The accountants made us screw this up" time for most GM products. And, guys, we're talking about cross shopping Camry vs. Lucerne. Sheeple are lining up for the Camry but not for a Buick? I mean, we're talking about this;

I'd say, test drive both and see which one drives better. I'd personally lean towards the Camry. Oh, and open the radiator cap on the Buick and see if the coolant has turned to acidic mud. Dexcool and junk electrics are my biggest fears with anything GM based on my experiences with my Olds Intrigue.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/1/15 9:26 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: +1. 95% of toyotas are overrated. Sheeple gonna be sheeple.
Haters gonna hate.

Says the guy with Calvin pissing on a Honda symbol.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/1/15 9:41 a.m.

Gimme the Camry as an appliance any day. A bud's fleet consists of two Camrys, a '94 4x4 pickup and a Sienna minivan, he recently got rid of a Saturn wagon and bought my Trooper. The Trooper has the lowest mileage at 205k. The Sienna needed front wheel bearings at 240k, otherwise everything is maintenance.

Well, he killed the 22RE in the truck; it's old enough to have the single row timing chain. He replaced the chain and guides as a precaution, saw some plastic was missing from one guide but didn't investigate any further. The plastic bits blocked the oil pump pickup... kaboom. Given that the odometer on the truck had quit at 305k miles, he got his money's worth out of that one. Still had the original clutch disc! The A/C works, has never been recharged etc. He and I stuffed a reman motor in it, it was doing great till some dingbat girl pulled out in front of him. It still runs but needs a good bit of bodywork which he's doing a little along.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/1/15 9:44 a.m.

Buick. If it's good enough for Tiger Woods, It's good enough for me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/1/15 10:10 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I'd say, test drive both and see which one drives better. I'd personally lean towards the Camry. Oh, and open the radiator cap on the Buick and see if the coolant has turned to acidic mud. Dexcool and junk electrics are my biggest fears with anything GM based on my experiences with my Olds Intrigue.

Haha! It sounds as if you and I have had a very similar GM experience.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/1/15 10:28 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
pres589 wrote: I'd say, test drive both and see which one drives better. I'd personally lean towards the Camry. Oh, and open the radiator cap on the Buick and see if the coolant has turned to acidic mud. Dexcool and junk electrics are my biggest fears with anything GM based on my experiences with my Olds Intrigue.

Based solely on my own personal experience with GM's I would expect years of trouble free driving only doing routine maintenance and replacing wear items.

Based solely on my own personal experience with Toyota's I would expect days of trouble free driving before catastrophic engine failure.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/1/15 10:34 a.m.

Anything is better than a Toyota, worst mistake of my Automotive life was buying into the turdbota reliability myth. The GM will probably run for ever

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/1/15 10:58 a.m.

I say go Toyota. If reliability is your goal, then why choose a Buick.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/1/15 12:03 p.m.

Because some people can reality past the myth.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
3/1/15 12:12 p.m.

Wow it's more split than I expected. Yes reliability is my major want. But since the Camry does not have much of a mpg benefit being its smaller than the Buick, I can utilize the extra room and likely more comfy interior. Not that it's a swing factor but the front bench seat in the Lucerne is kinda cool. Means Mrs drainoil can sit next to me just like we did in cars of the past.

As for electronics, neither of these cars have anything compared to the over the top fully loaded vehicles of present day. Can anyone specify what electronic gremlins your talking about with a Buick of this era?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/1/15 12:31 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
Based solely on my own personal experience with GM's I would expect years of trouble free driving only doing routine maintenance and replacing wear items. Based solely on my own personal experience with Toyota's I would expect days of trouble free driving before catastrophic engine failure.

It may be that your experience is something of an anomaly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
isYQhjtMSHBjuNxHPcbQOBfa5FYARQal6EQRjsRexlNThf9d0PepTjA30y06ewu1