Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 9:22 p.m.

I'm 48, conservative, probably a stick in the mud.

A bunch of touchy feelie hippies, building crap in the desert, shouldn't appeal to me, but it does. Build some really huge sculptures and then set them on fire, what's not to like.

This would be a lot of fun.

Might have to start off small.

Too bad it's 2600 miles away.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
11/24/15 9:43 p.m.

Fly and drive . It is actually appealing to me too, which is a little odd as I am a Midwest moderate. Liberal for here, not liberal overall. I just want to go and help others with their insanity. Mobile handy man type.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 9:45 p.m.

yep, it's on my bucket list too. I'm sure a group of GRM'ers could build an awesome Miata based thing for under Challenge money

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/24/15 9:52 p.m.

That looks like a very non sterotypical type of hippie to me. I think most of us would be fine in that crowd.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
11/24/15 10:08 p.m.

the first pic of the huge cabin cruiser...how the hell do you trasport that to the desert to play with it for the week or weekend? can it be driving on roads or what. very cool build for sure and biult in motor bome for the weekend though....

El Cheapo
El Cheapo HalfDork
11/24/15 10:10 p.m.

I'm digging that cabin cruiser, I wonder how fast it goes.

Perhaps we should send an away team to get a GRM prospective.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/24/15 10:13 p.m.

I showed my wife the hot chicks with hula hoop cam video a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to go.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/15 5:12 a.m.

Agreed. I have no interest in the "party", but the whole "build crazy vehicles and hang out in the desert" really calls to me.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/25/15 5:14 a.m.

Some day I'll get there. It's a bucket list thing for me.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/25/15 5:27 a.m.

Just be prepared for your "random" drug test on your arrival back to work.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
11/25/15 6:30 a.m.

I've heard it described as not "hippies" but "Punks - every sub-culture of punks you can imagine."

I'd say it's less hippy and more libertarian taken to the extreme. So... yeah, I can see GRM folks fitting in just fine.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 6:55 a.m.

You know, a team build would be a hoot.

Or we could just talk Speedy Cop into hauling some of his Lemons builds.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
11/25/15 7:27 a.m.

I'll contribute to a boat based miata or a miata based boat.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/26/15 8:45 p.m.

5 years ago it was on my bucket list. Burning man is all about rejecting "the man." In the last 5 years it has accepted all kinds of sponsorships from "the man" in an attempt to make it profitable. That's like a bacon company sponsoring a synagogue. Still, fun, whimsical, and wonderful despite the betrayal of its roots. Here is a video that will give non-burners a vignetted glimpse into what its like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahv_1IS7SiE . This was from 2011; widely regarded as the last true burning man before the corporate influence. Haven't heard much about what its actually like now.

(by the way, I can't watch that video without tearing up, mostly because the Seuss poem is fantastic)

There is a group of former burners who have made Envision Festival in Costa Rica. Its less art cars and more yoga and music/fine art, but I'll report back after I go this February. http://www.envisionfestival.com/

Sput
Sput Reader
11/27/15 4:43 p.m.

There are various "local" events also, such as Transformous near Asheville.

unk577
unk577 HalfDork
11/27/15 5:23 p.m.

This is enough to make me want to go. Semi sfw Burning man

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
11/27/15 5:27 p.m.

Burning Man seems interesting, but not my style. I'm more interested in checking out Wasteland Weekend. Seems like something a lot of GRMers could get into

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
11/27/15 5:56 p.m.
unk577 wrote: This is enough to make me want to go. Semi sfw Burning man

Well. That certainly didn't disappoint.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/15 8:16 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: I've heard it described as not "hippies" but "Punks - every sub-culture of punks you can imagine." I'd say it's less hippy and more libertarian taken to the extreme. So... yeah, I can see GRM folks fitting in just fine.

i've seen pics and videos, those are no punks that have ever been at any punk rock concert i've been at in the last 20 years. they most certainly look like dirty hippies though.

if i were single and looking to nail every hippie chick in the desert southwest, might think about it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/15 8:47 p.m.

When do we leave?

I assume there was some kind of Nobel Prize awarded to its inventor.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/28/15 1:10 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Burning Man seems interesting, but not my style. I'm more interested in checking out Wasteland Weekend. Seems like something a lot of GRMers could get into

Sweet Jesus!

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
11/28/15 7:03 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: When do we leave?
I assume there was some kind of Nobel Prize awarded to its inventor.

If only we knew a bus driver....

Joey

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsXUU5EKKVqF0stpP5CUS83HFdIqVAhBUteqoFuHx9k4akkFqyn7Eqz6GiH1S5BO