1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup Nutella

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375º

From here: http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2012/03/26/nutella-chocolate-chip-cookies/

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
9/3/12 1:04 p.m.

Peach Tart

This is wonderful this time of year. The crust is shortbread.

1 stick of butter

1 cup of flour

1 cup sugar

touch of good vanilla.

spread 2/3 of the mixture on the bottom of a springform pan of pie plate.

mix the peaches in a mixture of cornstarch and sugar.

place the peaches on top of the shortbread crust, the spinkle the rest of the mixture on top.

bake @ 350 for an hour. I think I might make this tonight.

That would be a nice finish for lamb and rice stuffed peppers I am making now.

enjoy Chris

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/4/12 6:06 p.m.

I made this tonight for dinner:

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Seared-Chicken-with-Maple-glaze.aspx

To borrow a phrase, [Rachael Ray] YUM-O! [/Rachael Ray]

Even my picky eating 4 yr old daughter ate it! The rest of the family approved for at least one more go round with it too.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/5/12 10:50 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:

Can I plus-1 this a thousand times? Goodness that looks delicious.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/5/12 10:57 a.m.
cdowd wrote: Peach Tart This is wonderful this time of year. The crust is shortbread. 1 stick of butter 1 cup of flour 1 cup sugar touch of good vanilla. spread 2/3 of the mixture on the bottom of a springform pan of pie plate. mix the peaches in a mixture of cornstarch and sugar. place the peaches on top of the shortbread crust, the spinkle the rest of the mixture on top. bake @ 350 for an hour. I think I might make this tonight. That would be a nice finish for lamb and rice stuffed peppers I am making now. enjoy Chris

I should have come to dinner. What are you having tonight?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/5/12 11:31 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Can I plus-1 this a thousand times? Goodness that looks delicious.

Thanks! Mitchell has tried it and says it ain't bad!

EastCoastMojo
9/10/12 3:31 p.m.

Here's another recipe for cast iron lovers, you're gonna love this one it's super easy!

No Knead Artisan Bread Baked in a Dutch Oven

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. Yep, just cover it and leave it sitting on the counter. I let mine rise for the full 18 hours to help increase the flavor. It will expand a lot, so use a big non-metallic container.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. You aren't so much punching the dough down as you are pulling the edges to the underside and giving the top a taught smooth surface. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger. (I used some old large cloth napkins for this step, as I did not have pastry cloth. They worked fine and cleaned up in the washer - no problems)

4. At least a half hour before the dough is ready preheat the oven to 450°. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats so that the pan warms gradually. You do not want to throw a cold iron pot into a 450° oven, and the pot needs to be good and hot before the bread goes into it.

When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Place a small aluminum pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven, leaving room for the dutch oven to sit on the rack above. The steam produced helps give the bread a wonderful crust. Place a circle of parchment paper in the bottom of the dutch oven and sprinkle with cornmeal. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.

Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. (I brushed the surface of the bread with an egg wash when it had about 7 minutes to go, to give it that shiney-ness. I think it softens the crust slightly as well. To make an egg wash, use 1 egg white and 1 tsp water and whisk together in a small bowl using a whisk or fork, until bubbly. Use a pastry brush to lightly apply to the top of the bread and return to hot oven to finish baking.) Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes in the dutch oven, then remove loaf to finish cooling on a rack. Wait at least an hour before trying to slice. Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Was I smart enough to take before and after photos? HELL NO! But, here's a few shots after I had some bread.

Here's a close up of the crust:

Here's what the dutch oven looked like inside:

And here's the delicious bread up close:

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/12 7:07 p.m.

Ok, I'll share my recipe for Smoked tomato and onion soup.

10-ish large tomatoes
2 large onions
2 cloves garlic
3T olive oil
Kosher salt
Fine ground white pepper.
2 C heavy cream

Cut tomatoes in half. Finely slice onions. Peel garlic (but leave whole). Arrange the tomatoes (face down) in a couple large cake pans. Lay onion slices on top. Add garlic cloves. Drizzle the whole thing with olive oil and kosher salt. Using a smoker and wood of your choice, smoke for 5 hours at 250 degrees. Remove and place all the contents of the pans in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. (for smoother soup, remove the skins before blending and/or pass it through a sieve to remove larger chunks.) Once the desired consistency is achieved, it should be cool enough to add the cream. Add cream and pulse to combine. Finish with salt/white pepper to taste. Serve.

I tried this with a little white wine and it wasn't helpful. I do like to serve it with little crusty breads which I make by toasting some baguette slices brushed with olive oil and some good Parm Reg.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
9/12/12 4:17 p.m.

ECM, I'mna try that dutch oven bread thing with my cast iron dutchy- I don't know that I have ever actually used it. Last time I tried that bread method it was in a larger stainless covered pot. It worked, but it was meh.

What does your timeline/process for that stuff look like? Ingredients together in the morning, bake at night? I think the reason I've only tried it a couple times is that you have to have a very certain amount of rise time, etc.- or so I thought.

EastCoastMojo
9/12/12 4:38 p.m.

I started it around 4:00pm on day 1, and let it rise for 18 hours. (It was bubbly around 12, so you could certainly shorten the initial rise. A longer rise will improve the complexity of flavor and I think it makes for a chewier crumb.)
About 10:00am on day 2, I transferred the dough to a floured work surface and folded it over a few times. After a 15 minute rest, I reshaped the dough into a more uniform ball shape with a taught surface, bringing ends together on the underside of the dough, and let rise the final time for two hours. At the hour and a half mark (11:45am) I started warming up the dutch oven. Transfer to a hot dutch oven can be tricky because you need to turn the dough over as you place it in there. I just plop it in there, don't worry too much about it falling, this dough has a nice oven-spring. The humidity helps with that.
At 12:15pm the bread went in to the 450° oven, at 12:45pm the lid came off. At 12:52 I brushed it with an egg wash, 1:00pm I removed it from the oven to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then on a wire rack for at least an hour before cutting. Bread was being eaten by about 2:30.

Mix ingredients together the afternoon/evening before your day off and you will have bread in time for a late lunch or dinner.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/18/12 2:57 p.m.

Repost from the chop thread:

I have a go-to chop recipe that I believe came from a magazine years ago; works great for "today's" pork. Goes like this...

Season 4 medium-thick chops (3/4 inch) with salt, pepper, garlic and whatever herb rub you favor (I like fines herbes with this one). Now, here comes the weird part:

Plop 'em down in a non-stick pan coated with spray, fill pan to about 1/3 of the way up the chops with water (no E36 M3) and bring to a big simmer. Simmer, partially covered, until the water is evaporated, mebbe 20-25 minutes. Chops will start to brown/sizzle in the little bit of fat you managed to render with the water; turn up the heat and let 'em go for a couple minutes, then deglaze the pan with a quick few glugs of wine, sherry or vermouth (especially good), finish browning chops in that until it's reduced to a glaze on them. Serve and enjoy.

It's unconventional, but it works.

Margie

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/18/12 4:30 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Repost from the chop thread:

Thanks, Margie. Here's a link to that thread in case if any other tasty pork chop stuff ends up there and not here.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/pork-chop-heaven/54730/page1/

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
9/20/12 11:55 p.m.

paging neon4891,

Thanks, I tried this last night. It was REALLY good, and very easy. We're talking two minutes prep time. The only things I added were onion powder and a little chicken bullion.

neon4891 wrote: Home made hummus. can garbanzo beans EVOO Garlic Whatever you feel like. drain beans, pour all ingredients in food processor or blender, mix/blend/whatever.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/12/12 6:59 a.m.

Napa Cabbage Salad

1 Napa Cabbage cut into bite size pieces

5 Green Onions (scallions) diced

1 package Chicken flavored Ramen Noodles Brown the noodles in 1/2 cup butter and the seasoning pack

1/c cup almonds

1/2 cup Sesame Seeds

1 cup Vegetable Oil

1 cup Sugar

2 Tblsp Soy Sauce

Mix all but the cabbage together. Pour over the cabbage within one hour of serving.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/12/12 9:00 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Napa Cabbage Salad 1 Napa Cabbage cut into bite size pieces 5 Green Onions (scallions) diced 1 package Chicken flavored Ramen Noodles Brown the noodles in 1/2 cup butter and the seasoning pack 1/c cup almonds 1/2 cup Sesame Seeds 1 cup Vegetable Oil 1 cup Sugar 2 Tblsp Soy Sauce Mix all but the cabbage together. Pour over the cabbage within one hour of serving.

That's really good. My ex's dad used to make it. He would add little strips of carrots and tiny little bits of broccoli florets.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/12/12 10:04 a.m.

It's comfort-food season so here's a link for crockpot lasagna: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-lasagna/detail.aspx I've used this recipe with the listed ingredients and with modifications; it has been tasty in every configuration.

Note: If you want your food to look "pretty" on your plate, you have to be very careful when removing it from the pot. Make sure you have a long-blade knife to run around the perimeter and to cut through the layers of pasta.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/12/12 10:24 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
914Driver wrote: Napa Cabbage Salad
That's really good. My ex's dad used to make it. He would add little strips of carrots and tiny little bits of broccoli florets.

Somehow the tart vinegar offset by the sweet sugar and soy; something just screams bacon bits to me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/19/12 9:54 a.m.

Cookies anyone?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip to be exact.

They look like pricklely hell, steel cut oats didn't want to grind properly, and they are really thick and filling. Best part is they fit in with a clean eating diet mostly.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/27/12 10:07 a.m.

Buzzfeed has some recipes from a cookbook that was compiled from the recipe column in New York Magazine.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/7-foods-youve-never-heard-of

I have not tried any of these, but they sound good:
Yvon de Tassigny’s Pan-Fried Mashed Potatoes
Bret Macris’s Sautéed Spigarello with Chile Flakes and Honey
Mathieu Palombino’s Roasted Kabocha Squash
Anna Klinger’s Cardoons with Fonduta
Anita Lo’s Chilled Coconut-Fruit Soup with Mint and Crosnes
Shaunna Sargent’s Sunchokes and Pears

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/30/12 1:45 p.m.

Beef and Bratwurst chili. You know the drill, brown the meats, chop everything up, throw it all into a crock pot and let er rip for several hours, stirring occasionally. Pack it up, throw it in the fridge, As chili often does, it tastes even better the next day.

1lb lean ground beef
1lb bratwurst (or try another sausage, we tried chorizo this weekend)
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce (or diced tomatos)
1 bottle of ketchup (around 15oz, half a larger bottle, etc.)
1 can miller high life (or try another beer, we tried sam adams this weekend)
gratuitous use of Chipotle Tabasco
1 yellow pepper
1 small onion
1 can of corn
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of black beans
tablespoon of chili powder
tablespoon of grilling/cooking rub/seasonings of choice
tablespoon of garlic (we prefer the kind in a jar over garlic powder)

Original recipe shared here and which we added our own twists to it (aka additional/different ingredients) http://beerandpig.com/2012/06/spicy-beer-bratwurst-chili/

Quite frankly we liked it better the first time we made it with bratwurst and miller high life. This time the only thing we changed was use the chorizo and sam adams boston lager. Definately like it better with bratwurst, I am going to try it with Sam Adams Winter Lager when I can get it, I really like that with brats in general so we will see how it does in chili. Original recipie calls for spicy ketchup, which typical grocery stores dont have around here so we used regular ketchup and chipotle tabasco.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
10/30/12 2:11 p.m.
failboat wrote: Beef and Bratwurst chili. You know the drill, brown the meats, chop everything up, throw it all into a crock pot and let er rip for several hours, stirring occasionally. Pack it up, throw it in the fridge, As chili often does, it tastes even better the next day. 1lb lean ground beef 1lb bratwurst (or try another sausage, we tried chorizo this weekend) 1 can tomato paste 1 can tomato sauce (or diced tomatos) 1 bottle of ketchup (around 15oz, half a larger bottle, etc.) 1 can miller high life (or try another beer, we tried sam adams this weekend) gratuitous use of Chipotle Tabasco 1 yellow pepper 1 small onion 1 can of corn 1 can of kidney beans 1 can of black beans tablespoon of chili powder tablespoon of grilling/cooking rub/seasonings of choice tablespoon of garlic (we prefer the kind in a jar over garlic powder) Original recipe shared here and which we added our own twists to it (aka additional/different ingredients) http://beerandpig.com/2012/06/spicy-beer-bratwurst-chili/ Quite frankly we liked it better the first time we made it with bratwurst and miller high life. This time the only thing we changed was use the chorizo and sam adams boston lager. Definately like it better with bratwurst, I am going to try it with Sam Adams Winter Lager when I can get it, I really like that with brats in general so we will see how it does in chili. Original recipie calls for spicy ketchup, which typical grocery stores dont have around here so we used regular ketchup and chipotle tabasco.

Wow, that's really close to the chili that my wife and I made over the weekend! We did 73/27 ground beef, ground pork, and ground chorizo. We didn't put any beer in it though. We elected to use a dutch oven instead of the crock pot for this batch. The chorizo is key, as it adds the right amount of spice for the base. She doesn't like spicy stuff as much as me, so I elected to season it after with a local burrito joint's cayenne garlic hot sauce.

It ended up being the best chili I've ever had, and it's still awesome 2 days later.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/30/12 2:22 p.m.

fwiw, this one isnt too spicy either.

the way we were making before, you should have seen the amount of chili powder that went into it, plus yellow chile peppers and jalapenos. Good but hot.

This "new to us" chili recipe is nowhere near as hot, just good. Its just the 2 of us so it lasts us for dinner for at least 3 or 4 days. I can see why you dont want to overdo the seasoning, it would just hide the hint of bratwurst and beer flavor.

I want to make a chili with pulled pork in it

alex
alex UltraDork
10/30/12 2:44 p.m.

I put together a cheap, pretty quick, way tasty dinner last night: smoked chicken thighs and lentils. (Stay with me now.) On the plate in about an hour, with maybe 20 minutes of active prep time if you work slowly.

I smoked bone-in skinless chicken thighs for about an hour in my R2D2 smoker, with about a quart of lump charcoal and a couple handfuls of fruitwood. Struck by inspiration, I looked over to my overflowing pots of rosemary, thyme and oregano, lopped off a few stems of each, and threw them on the fire, too. That added a really nice herbaceous aroma that permeated the chicken along with the standard smoke. Highly recommended. After about an hour the fire had died off, and I finished cooking the thighs on a stovetop grill pan to get them up to temp.

The lentils are the star of the show, in my mind. Lightly smoky from the pork, just a little heat from the peppers, yet the earthy lentil flavor comes through. This is one of my favorite side dishes, period. The recipe comes from Sally Schneider's great book "A New Way To Cook." In the pot/pan of your choosing, chuck in:

• 3/4 - 1c of lentils
  • 1 shallot, halved or quartered
  • 4 cloves of garlic, lightly smashed
  • 1 - 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed, depending on your heat preference (this time I used 5 tiny Thai chilis from the garden, worked perfectly)
  • 2 - 3oz piece of smoky, salty cured pork (I use about 1/2 and 1/2 smoked jowl and salt pork; bacon works)
  • 2 bay leaves

Cover that all with water by about an inch, bring it to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Check the seasoning at the 10 minute mark, add salt if desired. Simmer for another 10 minutes, then kill the flame and let it continue to gently cook with residual heat for 15 minutes. Remove the all the big chunks of flavoring agents, adjust the seasoning, and they're ready.

This whole meal costs a few bucks, tops. And unlike a lot of cheap food that takes several hours to braise, roast or stew all the good flavors into, this takes next to no active time for tasty results.

It's a humble looking plate, but it brings the flavor:

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
11/5/12 3:22 p.m.

Must Attempt! http://www.occupybacon.net/OB/2012/11/05/porked-eggs/ Porked Eggs

Things you’ll need… 27 tons of low sodium Bacon. 8 hard boiled eggs. 1/4 cup of mayo. 1/2 tablespoon of Cayenne powder. 1/4 tablespoon of cumin. 1/4 tablespoon of paprika. 1 piping bag. Start by placing the Bacon in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.Once the 15-20 minutes is up, dice the Bacon and cook it in small handfuls over medium low flame.

Next, place the eggs in a boiling pot filled with cold water. Let it come to a rolling boil. As soon as it starts boiling, turn the flame off and cover the eggs. Let them cooking the hot water for 8-10 minutes. Once the 8-10 minutes has elapsed, remove them from the water, then run and shell them under cold water.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
11/5/12 3:25 p.m.

Prim Rib Soup Recipes, anyone?

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jyai1VuQcpTue4FrZh43PT3NdXXRJBqEkQVxcIYYFWV6FLFSujyKkaP0HENpWX2V