1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/24 8:00 p.m.

My wife and I are doing 52frames.

How it works: Each week, everyone gets a new assignment that represents some kind of challenge. The weekly challenges can simple or complex: minimalism, background, technology, phone photos, something you made, faces in things, etc. Photos are due every Sunday at midnight.

The photo shall be taken that week, and the goal is simply to motivate people to make more pictures. My sister-in-law and niece are doing it, too. 

Last week’s challenge: a line from a song. 

The first thing that popped into my head: “The power lines have floaters so the airplanes won't get snagged” from R.E.M.’s Driver 8.

By now, I should note, it was already like Thursday. Finding floaters seemed like a long shot. Were there any near the airport? The hospital? I started looking at Google Street View. Then I figured it would be quicker to just drive there. Then I figured I’d be better off going to Plan B.

I made a quick list of other lyrics that I thought I could (easily) capture in a photograph. 

“Mirror in the bathroom”

“Two minutes to midnight”

“Girls on film”

“Legal tender”

“All I wanted was a Pepsi”

Now it’s Sunday. I still haven’t done my homework. I’ll do it after the autocross. 

As I’m arriving at the site, I’m reminded where I have seen floaters on power lines:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/12/24 8:44 p.m.

"Moving in Stereo" is playing in your head right now.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/12/24 9:11 p.m.

Hot for teacher. 

Dragula

(I realize these are song titles but they're lines in the song too) 

Bitchin' camaro

Aother brick in the wall..... can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/24 9:44 p.m.

I know it's AI, but you still hear Joe Jackson

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/12/24 10:18 p.m.

Blunder
Blunder Reader
6/12/24 10:23 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/13/24 7:32 a.m.

With all the rain goin on in Florida this week you could probably get everyone's favorite song by a band they didn't know was Christian rock till they listened to the music.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/13/24 7:40 a.m.
Appleseed said:

"Moving in Stereo" is playing in your head right now.

There was music in that scene?  I didn't notice.  cheeky

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/13/24 8:10 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Wait.

You guys can actually understand the lyrics to REM songs?

Don't get me wrong, I like the band (especially the first 4-5 albums), but even Peter Buck hasn't figured out all the words to their songs.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/24 8:32 a.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/13/24 8:43 a.m.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FMUwpGGPAtd8%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d9adbdeecc96590578d834e5e14cd2e7920c8397917c5b7347b44002fb819907&ipo=images

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/13/24 8:49 a.m.

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 8:53 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Wait.

You guys can actually understand the lyrics to REM songs?

Don't get me wrong, I like the band (especially the first 4-5 albums), but even Peter Buck hasn't figured out all the words to their songs.

It was required course work for us at UGA. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/13/24 9:05 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The first thing that popped into my head: “The power lines have floaters so the airplanes won't get snagged” from R.E.M.’s Driver 8.

There was a time when I was very much into REM, and I've heard Driver 8 dozens of times at least, but I'd never picked out that lyric.  And I feel like I can understand most of their lyrics.  Some songs, like Cuyahoga, I've taken the time to actually look up the lyrics to make sure I've got them all right.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/13/24 9:28 a.m.

"The day the music died"

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 12:54 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

True story: I was up at the radio station when the breaking news about Milli Vanilli came across the wire.

Yes, we had a news wire. This was during the olden times. No, I wasn’t on the air at that moment. I think I was just hanging out in the lobby or something. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/24 1:02 p.m.

The Kinks 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
6/13/24 1:20 p.m.

Prince...

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
6/13/24 1:28 p.m.

Janis...

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
6/13/24 1:30 p.m.

one more...

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/24 11:23 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the lines from Yellow Ledbetter. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/24 11:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The first thing that popped into my head: “The power lines have floaters so the airplanes won't get snagged” from R.E.M.’s Driver 8

I was pulling my trailer up 680 today, on my way to Thunderhill, and saw the floaters on the power lines.  I thought about taking a picture, but decided fumbling with my phone while negotiating narrow lanes with a trailer and lots of traffic was not the best idea, so I'll make do with Google street view. :)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/14/24 9:29 a.m.

I don't really need another thing to do in my life but this seems like a very cool other thing to do in my life. I should probably register.

David S. Wallens
6/14/24 10:20 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

It’s been fun and get me shooting things I normally wouldn’t. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/24 11:01 a.m.

That makes me feel good

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hKYbu6vPrnWFH1Pe3Go0JJWYgSaQNTb43ql2pNc4f3ojFnbT1kJ2Dw6sIRXhTKyn