David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/23 2:25 p.m.

I have an upcoming event that is perfect for this Seiko pilot’s watch that I bought years ago just because it had so much stuff on it. (Hey, I’m easily amused.)

The watch has sat for so long that the battery died.

I see so many options for watch battery tools on Amazon–blue ones, yellow ones, silver ones. Are they all the same? Is the one from Acfun better than the Jorest? 

Thanks. 

David S. Wallens
8/15/23 2:25 p.m.

Photo of the back:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/15/23 2:31 p.m.

I do know HF has had an adjustable one for a while.  In case you want to see it in person:

https://www.harborfreight.com/watch-case-opener-91550.html?_br_psugg_q=watch+repair+tools

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/15/23 2:34 p.m.

I prefer the 3 pin tool, more grip to prevent slips.

Harbor Freight sells one too, and a 2 pin tool with a kit.

David S. Wallens
8/15/23 2:39 p.m.

TIL that Harbor Freight sells watch tools. Thanks! Of course, this means that I have to leave the house....

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/23 2:57 p.m.

I've been told that the seal is a one time use so you might want to avoid taking the watch into the water if you don't replace it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/15/23 4:07 p.m.

I got mine from Amazon.  It came in a little yellow box that says "GDGJ No. 2098A Case Opener for waterproof watches.  I've used it a couple of times and it works much better than a pair of needlenose pliers that invariably slip and scratch the literal bejeebus out of the back of your watch.  It was part of a larger kit.  Recommended.  Best of all, I didn't have to leave the house.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/15/23 4:14 p.m.

Good that you have a screw on back.  If it were a snap one, just take it to the battery replacement store.  I broke a watch trying to snap one back together.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/15/23 5:02 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Good that you have a screw on back.  If it were a snap one, just take it to the battery replacement store.  I broke a watch trying to snap one back together.  

Same.  Fortunately, it was not an expensive watch.  And it belonged to my wife.  laugh  I can buy her another one.

I've had to resort to carefully squeezing the case with pliers to get some of the harder-to-snap-together cases shut.  Not fun.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/15/23 7:41 p.m.

I just wait until I have two or three dead watches and then take them to Batteries+.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/15/23 8:04 p.m.

Professional Watch Back Remover Tool, Metal Adjustable Rectangle Watch Back Case Cover Press Closer & Opener Opening Removal Screw Wrench Repair Kit Tool For Watchmaker https://a.co/d/fF7HEyH

http://Professional Watch Back Remover Tool, Metal Adjustable Rectangle Watch Back Case Cover Press Closer & Opener Opening Removal Screw Wrench Repair Kit Tool For Watchmaker https://a.co/d/fF7HEyH

This is the one I bought, it worked well.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/15/23 8:41 p.m.

I've been watching some watch repair videos recently, it seems the repair guys often use a small children's rubber ball to remove the watch back - they just press it against the back and turn it.  If you google 'rubber ball watch back removal' a bunch of short videos demonstrating the technique pop up.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/23 9:02 p.m.

You're going to miss this opportunity to start ogling the tools and other bits and bobs at Esslinger (no relation to the 4-cyl Ford folks, AFAIK) or Cas-Ker? cheeky

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/23 9:16 p.m.

Try a racquetball or a hockey puck.

David S. Wallens
8/16/23 9:28 p.m.

I like the racketball idea, but I need to see if I have the tool for that. 

Worst case, I’ll wear it with a dead battery. Not the first time I have worn a watch that wasn’t displaying the correct time. 

Thanks. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
8/16/23 11:16 p.m.

I'm sorry; I cannot help myself.

"Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?"

I deeply apologize, and will see myself out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/17/23 2:13 a.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

Let me see... looks like it about 25 or 26 to four...

David S. Wallens
8/17/23 7:02 a.m.

According to my watch, it’s like three to three. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 9:36 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's "two fifty seven", if you're under 35. 

At least, according to my kids...

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/17/23 11:00 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I got this kit off the 'zon about a year ago to change the battery my Nautica "daily" which looks pretty similar to your Seiko.  I remember it being about $16.00.  Not exactly jeweler quality but I've opened my watch, my son's cheapo and my wife's Movado to swap out batteries without any issue.  I haven't tried the band pin tool but it looks like it would work on my watch.

Hydroonic
Hydroonic New Reader
9/28/24 6:41 a.m.

For a watch battery replacement, a simple tool kit with a case opener, tweezers, and a battery holder works wonders. I picked up a cheap kit online, and it’s been a lifesaver for my watches.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sD8wuhJqzXoKyzLuCpUk8eY1XFxLkKATC4nGGXjG0GnheQKaR1nLG0aawqKyHhpf