drew2
drew2 New Reader
6/26/08 11:56 p.m.

hooking up a kenwood kdc-x589 in my 300zx w/ bose stereo. i had the kenwood hooked up in another car before this. i have the appropriate adaptor (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=751&i=142C4NN02&tp=3486) to hook an aftermarket headunit up to the bose system. unfortunately i've had the adaptor sitting around for awhile and dont have any of the associated paperwork.

anyway..i wired up the stereo...using mostly crimp connectors but had a few wires just twisted together as i wasnt sure that i had it all hooked up right. turned the car on....stereo lights up, antenna goes up, but no sound......

ok start messing with things (ign still on), bump some of the twisted wires accidentaly and bam, stereo goes out.

blew the 10amp stereo fuse in the car fusebox but the 10amp fuse in the stereo is fine. Changed the car fuse and now the stereo wont do anything (no lights, nothing). i have it hooked up the same as before (when everything worked but the sound)

Did i ruin the headunit? whats going on?

what does the "power control wire" (blue/white) wire from the headunit do? i did not find a corresponding wire on the scosche harness. there is a "continuous power" wire coming from the scoshe harness that does not go to anything currently...i touched them when the stereo was still "working" and it didnt do anything.

sorry for the long post but i could use a hand!

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/27/08 10:52 a.m.

If you blew a fuse from bumping the wires, sounds like you didn't hook them up quite right. My best guess is some improperly insulated wires got crossed, or some of the power leads weren't properly crimped, and got pulled apart. Most likely it was the later.

If you have another stereo handy, I'd hook that up to test and troubleshoot the issue.

Double check all your wire connections and retry. If you still get no response, it's warranty time.

"Continuous power" is just that. It's the power lead that keeps your clock running and presets saved when you turn the car off. The head-unit will still work without it though. I think "Power Control" is for hooking up a remote or something.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/27/08 11:32 a.m.

The power control, IIRC is for hooking up certain Kenwood Excelon amps. However, it's been 4+ years now, so I may be mistaken. It essentially gave some amp controls to the head unit, making on the fly tuning easier. Otherwise, it's a power ant turn on lead, only powered when the tuner is in use. Again, I just can't remember.

drew2
drew2 New Reader
6/27/08 11:37 a.m.

well i have the factory headunit still (it works, the display just doesnt work anymore) and when i hooked up it just now it still works.

but that was using the factory wiring into the stereo, not the adaptors.

salanis: yes i blew a fuse from bumping wires but not 2 wires that i had hooked together, there were a couple just twisted together and onee group of twisted wires hit another group

so...another disturbing development is that my AIRBAG light is on now also (definitely related to this). THe airbag fuse is good.

not sure where to go from here...i went through the wiring again and it seems right to me. the aftermarket headunit does nothing. could i have fried it without blowing the fuse? Ideas?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YhbArffrbZKHlGX43c16D9dK6Ce0gG5GXwOlBf5y7Im691WnAnUtIBcsGJfLzked