tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/18/22 2:09 p.m.

I don't even know what Dev-ops is, but my buddy is the best guy ever, and is looking for a job. Remote or near Greenville SC. Contact me directly if you have an in somewhere.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
10/18/22 8:45 p.m.

Devops is a very vague and wide reaching term describing a methodology withing software development and operation.   What does he do within DevOps?   Is he a developer? An enginer?  A project manager or scrum master (the latter being more of an Agile term but the role somewhat exisits within DevOps.

Without any information on what he actually knows how to do its hard to place.  DevOps iteslf is not a job description.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
10/18/22 9:23 p.m.

He has LinkedIn? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/18/22 9:33 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-herrmann-2a689846

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/20/22 8:23 a.m.

I had breakfast with my buddy today. He said the biggest issue he is having is that he has no Terraform experience.

I don't know what that means, really. He is working to go through some training offline to get some experience, but I suspect that won't be enough to avoid the issue where it is required.

Any advice?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/20/22 9:54 a.m.

I don't know  what any of this means.  I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/20/22 10:40 a.m.

Tell him to check the Oracle job site. Lots of jobs for developers there, lots of remote positions, and pay/benefits are pretty good. We have still been hiring all year and have plans to keep hiring. The NetSuite side only continues to grow. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
10/20/22 11:33 a.m.

Terraform = infrastructure as code... i.e. a way to express cloud solutions that can (in theory work cross platform) in a single language and be able to deploy them across multiple platforms (on-prem, azure, aws, gcp, etc.)

is your friend willing to consider contract work?  usually pretty good demand for Contract DevOps people 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/20/22 11:56 a.m.

Software Development and Programming is pretty wild these days. 

It's akin to being a Veterinarian, but instead of most jobs being Dogs (Java), Cats (.Net), Horses (Python), farm animals (Sql)...you find that every job is specific to a species. "In search of vet for arthropods." 

I mean, the money is probably worth it, but that's probably why the industry is still largely "computer science" because its not just being a developer, it's being able to understand the theory of a wide variety of languages and systems so even if you can't don't know them intimately, you have some chance of coming up to speed. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/22 6:17 p.m.

Hmmm. When I read the thread title, I figured a devops guy was someone who removed vops from things. If I only knew what vops were...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/22 9:07 a.m.
Turboeric said:

Hmmm. When I read the thread title, I figured a devops guy was someone who removed vops from things. If I only knew what vops were...

Like how the Foo-Fighters are doing such a wonderful job handling all of our foo problems?

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/22 9:23 a.m.

My company may actually need a DevOps guy.  We are in the offshore engineering business and the company decided we had to use DevOps for our Scrum meetings and Deliverable tracking.   DevOps is not really designed for engineering, its more for software developers, so its been a challenge.   PM your email address and I will be in touch.

We are in Houston and Metairie but remote working is probably possible.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/22 9:45 a.m.
jharry3 said:

My company may actually need a DevOps guy.  We are in the offshore engineering business and the company decided we had to use DevOps for our Scrum meetings and Deliverable tracking.   DevOps is not really designed for engineering, its more for software developers, so its been a challenge.   PM your email address and I will be in touch.

We are in Houston and Metairie but remote working is probably possible.

PM sent!! Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Y7d7gMv1NdPsvhlv43Zn69JW2LlNPucAX2VapSTE8FwVAdTvYgjlt4YTGBNb0Hs