8/30/24 2:51 p.m.

Or Kaboom......i just can't lol

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
8/30/24 5:55 p.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, CSX basically said, "We're tired of you idiots hitting our bride and we're going to close your road and fill in the underpass."  To which the city replied, "No, you're berking NOT, because that road is the only way across your tracks on this end of town."

It's been dug down as deep as it can be because it is already the low point for most of the terrain in the area.  They had to add a big area drain to reduce the flooding.  They can't raise the line because then they won't make the grade crossings to the north.

The other option would be to fill the road level and turn it into a grade crossing. I know that's been proposed here.

Then you'd have the idiots running the crossings and getting KABOOM'd by trains.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/30/24 9:48 p.m.

Just drove through it yesterday around 2p. I always have to remember to cut down appleton to elkton rd if I have the trailer. 

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
8/30/24 10:02 p.m.

https://youtube.com/@11foot8plus8?si=PsvkQ0OM0MMqUXhg

11foot8.com has cameras pointed at this one in Durham.  According to Wikipedia it's caught over 100 crashes since 2008.

edit: the most recent video from last week is crash 184 (minor though).  Note that this is after they raised it.

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
9/1/24 10:36 p.m.

I was in Newark in the CJ this evening and took a detour to pass under the clankers. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
9/3/24 12:03 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Needs for people to LEARN HOW TO berkeleyING DRIVE. If you're in a truck, you should know the height, and there are 23 warning signs on approach from either direction. You should see at least one of them. Now, if you hit the bridge, you get ticketed individually for every single sign that you drove past. 

Related aside: I bought a boat that was over-width, but on a trailer and had a tower that folded. It was in MD, and owner had (supposedly) trailered to FL multiple times in his ownership. That knowledge in mind, I folded the trailer, tried to get permits for the oversize load in MD and VA and eventually gave up on doing it "right" and just trailered it home (VA). I then only trailered it a few miles at a time, twice a year (put it in the water in spring, pull it out in late fall). Eventually, I needed to get it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel for maintenance, which required me to get a permit/Ford Econobox to cross given the width. Showed up for my Ford Econobox appointment and was told I was over-height. Used their dangly thing that hangs at 13'-6" to see what was hitting, assuming I was missing by a fraction of an inch or something; nope, I was 14'-4", legal max is 13'-6". I'd just assumed that because previous owner trailered it somewhat frequently that surely it was 13'-6" or less.

So, while I like to think I'm a conscientious operator of motor vehicles, sometimes E36 M3 happens. Luckily I didn't take down any power or telecom lines during my 4 years of ownership with that thing.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/24 1:00 p.m.

Around page 1235 of the meme thread these were brought up with some humorous links. Saw it the other night when I couldn't sleep. 

Here we have Bells Mills Covered Bridge. 6 feet 6 clearance. 

I had to get out and measure to make sure the excursion would fit. I'm one of few smart enough to check first, apparently. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/6/24 7:10 a.m.

This happened semi-locally yesterday. 

How do you not know entire dump trailer of that size is raised, at interstate speeds?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
9/7/24 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

KABOOM!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/24 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

I am astounded at how often dump trucks just drive away with the bed lifted. I would think that first thing on the checklist is  DID YOU PUT THE BERKING BED DOWN?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/7/24 2:50 p.m.
NickD said:

My new favorite "fix" was to reduce the parkway from 4 lanes to 2 lanes. So now, when something hits the bridge, it stops traffic completely, instead of just reducing it to one lane in that direction.

I presume this is so that if you get out of your truck after hitting the bridge, you just get punched instead of run over.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/24 11:00 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I foresee the next phase as a railroad crossing-type gate to be triggered to lower when the over-height sensor goes off.  

Or this 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/8/24 12:33 a.m.
Spearfishin said: 

...How do you not know entire dump trailer of that size is raised, at interstate speeds?

Torque man.  Lots and lots of torque!

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/8/24 8:58 a.m.
aircooled said:
Spearfishin said: 

...How do you not know entire dump trailer of that size is raised, at interstate speeds?

Torque man.  Lots and lots of torque!

Yeah. Gobs of torque and zero checks in the rear view, and I'm pretty you're there. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/9/24 9:24 a.m.
Spearfishin said:

How do you not know entire dump trailer of that size is raised, at interstate speeds?

And then saw this today on marketplace, haha. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/24 2:10 p.m.

So, due to attempts to get people to avoid the Onondaga Lake Parkway Bridge, the Park St. bridge in Syracuse has also been stacking up quite a few. Including this sight:

The truck on the right scalped it's trailer on the bridge yesterday and was dumped in this parking lot for eventual retrieval by a wrecker. Before it could be removed, another truck slammed into the same bridge today and did the same thing to it's trailer. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/13/24 2:39 p.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/13/24 2:52 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

This happened somewhat local to me, and I was impressed at the strength of the sign support structure.   I know they've got to withstand high winds, but 70 mph trucks?!  Even though it eventually came down, I'd call that a win for the sign.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/24 11:11 p.m.

In Boston, we call it "Storrowing" - Storrow Drive is supposed to be closed to commercial traffic, but is nonetheless notorious for claiming trucks, especially during college move-in season, where folks who don't know where they're going blindly follow their GPS devices...

https://www.nbcboston.com/investigations/boston-storrowing-bridge-crash-map/3468934/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2qdB3myhXxfv1KXtsTJNXH4wVSk3OoiiezDU6tnWJFpeIHAN3nDHjnVWZB9Nv001