1 2
N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/24/12 10:27 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Add a couple inches of water inside the tub. Hook up video camera. ???? Profit!

Sunny, the little white one loved playing with water, but once when the tub was full.... Well, the kitchen was mopped for free that day. So were ask the carpets and my lap. Laughed my ass off.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/12 10:29 a.m.

You can train cats to use the toilet, and use a motion sensor to flush it.

There are Youtube videos of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4wka4aKtZE

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/12 12:31 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Put the cat out of the house where it belongs. Houses that have cats always smell gross, but the owners never seem to be able to smell it. Sorry and no offense, just sayin.

I have cats in the house and I agree with this.

But the smell comes from having the litterbox in the house. The litter isn't able to fully absorb the stench, and even in the total absence of cat poo the stench will linger in a room for a couple of days. No litterbox in the house and all you have to deal with is shredded furniture

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/24/12 1:21 p.m.

OUr litterbox is the closet of one of the spare bedrooms, cleaned daily, no stink.

Our friends that have a Yorkie and a German Shepard? I can barely stand to go over there because of the smell.........and it's not like they are dirty people or don't clean their dogs.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
9/24/12 2:07 p.m.

Get 3 squirt guns one for the Lrm., one for the kitchen, and one for the bedroom. When they misbehave, squirt squirt, NO! Worked for me.

I agree though, put the suckers outside. They're animals. My cats preferr being out side. However, during freezing weather they do come in.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
9/24/12 2:56 p.m.

Water guns are effective, but nerf guns are way more fun!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/12 3:05 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: Get 3 squirt guns one for the Lrm., one for the kitchen, and one for the bedroom. When they misbehave, squirt squirt, NO! Worked for me.

You can't let them figure out where it's coming from though or they'll just avoid doing bad things when you're watching. They need to think cat god is punishing them for misbehaving.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/24/12 3:09 p.m.

I've had some great cats, but even great cats are hell on nice furniture and the litter box thing is a deal breaker. I won't have cats again. Now I have kids!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
9/24/12 3:23 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Add a couple inches of water inside the tub. Hook up video camera. ???? Profit!

I was actually thinking of seriously suggesting this. Teach the cat to associate the tub with water instead of being a litterbox.

And big +1 on getting more litterboxes.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
9/24/12 4:49 p.m.

Using a high quality dry food will lessen the smell - and improve their health. Purina is pure crap. If you want to shorten a cat's life, feed it Purina. So are some of the "quality" brands, such as Science Diet, including their very expensive prescrition food. The best I have found is Innova.

I have two 15 year old cats that look as if they are six years old. Lean with soft coats. When I switched to Innova the coarse hair shed completely away!

I also agree that cats should be indoors. They kill anything they can catch.

For intestinal health they should be given grass to eat.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/24/12 5:19 p.m.

+1 on the CatGenie, I love mine

Before that I used a rubermaid tote, cut a hole in the center of the lid about the size of a loaf of bread. You don't need to fill it more than normal, the cat will climb up and out and the up action will shake most of the litter off. Worked great and I could leave two in the house when I went on trips, one with the hole and one without, so my roommate could just swap lids after a couple of days instead of having to change the litter for me.

Will
Will Dork
9/24/12 10:08 p.m.

I got a second litter box for my 2 cats once one of them became...picky about only having one. I think the second box just convinced the other cat that she should poop twice as much.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQOE0km4bViqlha8vHFVjXZkfkYp0Xo8vOFYVD1k5UATCGOiZzmZ0jlOFnS6Mg58