1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 7:59 a.m.

I’d love a Digital SLR, but there’s no way $600-$1,000 is in the family budget, so I’m thinking of buying a used body. I have a mid 90’s Minolta α-7700i 35mm cameras (that’s JDM YO!), it was sold here as the Maxim 7000i. It uses what I think is called the A type lens fitting. I have 3 lenses I think, at least couple are autofocus. I’ll have to dig it out of the basement where it’s languished for the last 10 years since digital pretty much killed film and check exactly what I have. So I’m pretty sure I can buy a Sony or Minolta DSLR body. I don’t need the latest whizz bang Carlos Fandango equipment, just a decent basic unit. My biggest pet peeve with pocket Digitals is the write time to the memory card, it takes ages. I want to be able to shoot multiple action shots with a press and hold which is impossible with the series of pocket cameras I’ve had for the last 10 years. So, any recommendations for a body that I can pick up for $100ish on ebay. Primarily shooting scenery on vacation and shooting cars in action?

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/14/13 8:11 a.m.

If you go the eBay route, try Cameta Camera as a seller. Myself and others I know have all had good experiences with them. Even when UPS put a forklift fork through the package before it got to me, they handled the replacement fast and easy.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/14/13 8:33 a.m.

http://www.keh.com/

Never used them but heard good things. Grading system, decent prices, lots of options. Don't know about using your old lenses on anything. This might do the trick;

http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DM029990839330?r=FE

If Sony bodies do work, then something like this for not much more might be a great option;

http://www.keh.com/camera/Sony-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DS029991031310?r=FE

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/14/13 8:38 a.m.

Basically what you want doesn't exist. I know, I've looked. I too had a Minolta Maxim Camera (8000i) and have a couple decent lenses to go with it, all using the a-mount system.

I asked this over at reddit a while back and the a57 was they came back with as a good camera to start off with, on ebay it seems to go for around $300 to $400 though. I haven't seen any other a-mount cameras go anywhere near $100 unless they are damaged. It sucks, I don't want to pay $400 for a camera, but I really want to use these lenses and filters.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
6/14/13 9:21 a.m.

Keh is a good company to work with. I have ordered a half dozen bodies from them both film and digital. I even have several lenses I picked up from them that work beautifully. One of my go to setups is an old Nikon FM with 50mm 1.8E lens attached small package that takes beautiful shots and that E lens is more compact than other similar lenses.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/13 9:21 a.m.

Personally, I'd get a new Sony SLT-A37. You can get them for under $400 with a kit lens, and you have a new camera with all the latest tech and a warranty.

Cnet review: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-slt-a37/4505-6501_7-35299023.html

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:22 a.m.

Thanks for all the reply's folks. Having a look at Cameta Camera, all their stuff is too expensive. Keh has some great stuff by the looks of it in the $200-250 range.

Bottom feeding on fle-bay, what about these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-A100-Camera-with-18-70mm-Lens-/271221114914?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3f2609c822#ht_345wt_1399 Flash and autofocus issues. It could be the autofocus issue is the lens in which case I'd be luky. Unliky though and I'd probably get something in fully working condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-a-alpha-A230-10-2-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-w-DT-18-55mm-SAM-Lens-7-26266-/300918210693?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item46101f8085#ht_8122wt_1161

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONICA-MINOLTA-MAXXUM-7D-6-1-MP-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-BLACK-W-EXTRAS-BUNDLE-/140993043682?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item20d3d71ce2#ht_1491wt_1399 $103 with only 7 hours left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-Minolta-MAXXUM-7D-6-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/390609388962?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item5af22245a2#ht_528wt_1399

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/14/13 9:30 a.m.

I agree that what you seek doesn’t really exist at that price point. Would you consider a Micro Four-Thirds camera like the Panasonic Lumix GF1? Not an SLR, but I’ve never had any issue with write speed and the image quality is spectacular. I know they’ve come down in price, so you may be able to find something approaching your price range.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:34 a.m.
Mezzanine wrote: I agree that what you seek doesn’t really exist at that price point. Would you consider a Micro Four-Thirds camera like the Panasonic Lumix GF1? Not an SLR, but I’ve never had any issue with write speed and the image quality is spectacular. I know they’ve come down in price, so you may be able to find something approaching your price range.

I'm open too it, but I'd like to use my lenses

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 10:13 a.m.

If it stays low this really might be worth the risk of a $50 snipe bid a the end of the auction? Yes/No?

This Sony alpha 10.2 MP camera offers instant access to six different Scene Selection modes through the mode dial on its top, making it easier to automatically adjust the settings to any photo situation. The user interface of the Sony alpha A230 is customizable and four background colors can be chosen to optimize as desired the final result. This digital SLR camera is enhanced by SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization to correct shaking and capture sharp and crisp photos. An anti-static coating on the low-pass filter of this Sony alpha 10.2 MP camera has been added to help keep the image sensor clean. The Sony alpha A230 comes with an enhanced graphic display that makes it easier to understand how aperture and shutter speed adjustments affect the resulting photos. This digital SLR camera has an elegant and compact black body that weighs approximately 16 oz. Together with the Sony alpha 10.2 MP camera, a DT 18 mm-55 mm SAM lens is included to ensure the owner is immediately equipped for high-quality photos.

slowride
slowride Reader
6/14/13 10:53 a.m.

Assuming it works, I'd say it's worth a shot. You can always resell if it doesn't work out.

I've used KEH for lenses before, as the other guys said above, always had a good experience.

Sometimes you can find refurbished cameras for cheap on Amazon. Look for the ones sold by Amazon, they're listed under the "Used" section:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0029U0WWU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

(note: there aren't any for the a230)

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/14/13 11:04 a.m.

being that your camera sat in a basement... make sure it's not got some fungus growing in it before you go spend money on a body that is tied to those lenses...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 11:42 a.m.
donalson wrote: being that your camera sat in a basement... make sure it's not got some fungus growing in it before you go spend money on a body that is tied to those lenses...

My basement is bone dry, carpet, bedroom, never seen a drop of water down there ever. Not at all concerned about that.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 12:07 p.m.
slowride wrote: Assuming it works, I'd say it's worth a shot. You can always resell if it doesn't work out. I've used KEH for lenses before, as the other guys said above, always had a good experience. Sometimes you can find refurbished cameras for cheap on Amazon. Look for the ones sold by Amazon, they're listed under the "Used" section: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0029U0WWU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used (note: there aren't any for the a230)

I don't see anything for reasonable money from Amazon. But the used A230 is a pretty good bet. I've also been offered a Canon S3 IS, uncharacteristically SWMBO is saying hold out for what you want for a change. Debate in the Thompson household tonight. I am very very tempted by the Canon, it's not an SLR, but it can do rapid fire and takes nice pics. My only reservation is the 72.0mm optical lens, although with 6mp you could reasonably double that with digital zoom I think.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
6/14/13 12:14 p.m.

I have a Sony a100 which I bought solely because I was a Minolta user and had a bunch of Maxxum mount lenses. The a100 is a very sturdy basic camera, but it is a few years old and I can't imagine it is worth much more than $200 these day. Compared to the plasticy newer "low-end" Sony cameras it feels like a solid chunk of granite.

That said, if I had it to do all over I would just forget about using my film-camera lenses, buy whatever body I wanted and get all new lenses. Nothing sadder than mounting your beloved 24mm super wide-angle on your digital camera realizing it is now just a 36mm. But on your budget a slew of new lenses are out of the question.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/13 1:34 p.m.
SEADave wrote: Nothing sadder than mounting your beloved 24mm super wide-angle on your digital camera realizing it is now just a 36mm. But on your budget a slew of new lenses are out of the question.

That's a good point about using older lenses on a digital SLR. The sensors on the consumer-level stuff are smaller than 35mm film, so you can't compare apples to apples. Here's a good explanation I found on the webz:

Most consumer D-SLRs use image sensors that, while much larger than those found in point-and-shoot cameras, are somewhat smaller than a 35mm film frame. This can be a bit confusing when talking about a camera's field of view, as focal lengths for compacts are often expressed in terms of 35mm equivalency. The standard APS-C sensor features a "crop factor" of 1.5x. This means that the 18-55mm kit lens that is bundled with most D-SLRs covers a 35mm field of view equivalent to 27-82.5mm. If you're upgrading from a point-and-shoot that has a 3x zoom lens that starts at about 28mm, the D-SLR kit lens will deliver approximately the same field of view.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348992,00.asp

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
6/14/13 1:37 p.m.

Good point about the crop-sensor effect on focal length. Not a deal-breaker, but important to keep in mind.

Based on personal experience and preference, I'd suggest you wait until such time as you can buy a basic DSLR kit (I shoot a lot more film than digital, but I have and use a Canon T3 kit that was something like 400 and change last Christmas from Amazon with two lenses) and buy some film for your existing camera.

If you must go digital now, a previous-generation superzoom advanced compact is probably a better short-term option than an older crop-sensor DSLR.

All of this is considerably dependent on what you want to achieve. Landscape shots and fast action shots point to different primary attributes in your equipment. Which is more important? How much quality do you expect out of your images, and what do you intend to do with them?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/13 1:44 p.m.

Someone smarter than me make a device the size and shape of a 35mm film roll with a 35mm photo eye on a ribbon that will work to convert ANY 35mm camera on earth to digital. Shouldn't be impossible with modern tech.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/14/13 2:03 p.m.

I'd take a look at those lenses before plunking down any money on a body that may or may not be what you really want. Most times the lenses you bought for good money decades ago are worth next to nothing today. Minolta Maxxum AF lenses aren't really worth much with very few exceptions, and usually give you focal lengths that aren't exactly usable with a digital crop, as others pointed out above.

I too shoot with a Panasonic GF1. I would actually recommend the GX1 body, it's a bit better in every way. You can get the body for a bit more than $200 new in box. It's the camera to buy if you'll end up leaving the SLR at home because it's too bulky.

In other systems, check out Pentax's budget SLR offerings, they are very competitive on price, and backwards compatible.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/14/13 2:06 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

I've thought about that, and it seems like a difficult challenge. You'd have to fit a digital sensor in the same plane and space intended for 35mm film. Also you'd have to somehow fool the film advance mechanism into thinking it was working. And you'd also have to somehow coordinate the camera's mechanical shutter with the electronic shutter of the sensor. And fit a power source onboard somewhere.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/13 2:59 p.m.

Yes but you have a global (nearly) standard with which to work and all the space of the canister to put your brain and batteries.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/14/13 3:36 p.m.

Ha! That was a very cruel april fools joke from a few years back. Here's the site: Re35

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/14/13 8:07 p.m.
SEADave wrote: That said, if I had it to do all over I would just forget about using my film-camera lenses, buy whatever body I wanted and get all new lenses. Nothing sadder than mounting your beloved 24mm super wide-angle on your digital camera realizing it is now just a 36mm. But on your budget a slew of new lenses are out of the question.

Hmm so school me on this. Here's the stuff I have right now. Think it would be worth it to buy a Sony DSLR for them or do like you're suggesting and get a new kit with DSLR specific lenses?

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/14/13 10:06 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

Those two lenses would not be very useful on a normal dSLR body, and they're not fast enough aperture to be worth the bother. The filters you show in the first photo can be used on any camera.

I personally would not stick with the alpha mount in your case just to use your legacy lenses. A kit lens will cover much of the telephoto you will need, and have a lot more wide angle than the new you currently own.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/13 11:31 p.m.

Be careful on some of the older NIKON DSLR frames. Some of the will NOT accept bigger than a 2 gig card. I do paintball photography with mine and its a pain running around with a couple of spare cards on a field when you know your point and shoot is sitting on the table with a 16gig card in it. Oh and NIKON knows about it, and flat refuses to update the firmware so you can use the larger cards.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UDwC0VfkpKxfbmGf7cSYMPeULvyjV1WuGn9xKPTsSPyM1nuHWlEdVnxA6mh74JM1