ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
10/22/15 8:54 a.m.

I have an old laptop. Fujitsu business level laptop with all Intel stuff circa 2009.

It runs Ubuntu ok, but lately I find that I'm not using it for anything aside from a browser interface, aside from the occasional terminal SSH into my Pis. I believe this can all be done through Chrome OS, which is conceivably lighter weight, faster, and easier to deal with.

Assuming Neverware Chrome is compatible with my laptop (its not specifically listed, but it is new enough and all Intel goodies, so it should be ok), any reason I shouldn't consider switching to it?

Edit: Someone with mod powers, feel free to fix the thread title.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/22/15 8:57 a.m.

What's wrong with the title? I think of myself as an Ubunut.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/22/15 9:01 a.m.

I've been Chrome OS for 2.5yrs (book and box). It does everything I need except for the few times a year when I need to scan/print something. I have a google cloud compatible printer but it's fussy. I will be getting a newer one some day. I just use the print app on my phone to print stuff, and evernote to scan to pdf - never fails. :)

slefain
slefain UberDork
10/22/15 9:02 a.m.

TinyXP and play Doom on it?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
10/22/15 9:09 a.m.

FWIW, I have a Win10 Desktop for gaming & any form of content creation. Laptop is essentially lazy couch web surfing of simple documents/spreadsheets.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/15 9:12 a.m.

Linux plays Doom just fine. I don't see any reason not to run Chrome OS, but I think Mint has a much more sensible selection of default packages (and desktop manager) than Ubuntu these days.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/22/15 9:16 a.m.

What about a lighter distro? I currently trying to get acquainted with linux distros and am considering putting Debian on my 2004 PC to get some more use out of it. I have XP and Ubuntu on it now but it will freeze before I can ever update anything in Ubuntu. I enjoy messing with my RasPi2 and have some grand illusions of putting together a FreeNas box to stream from.

GameboyRMH
10/22/15 9:28 a.m.

If you want a light distro I'd recommend Mint w/ LXDE.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
10/22/15 1:26 p.m.
RossD wrote: What about a lighter distro?

I'm not opposed to it, but what's the advantage of a lighter distro vs. Chrome OS?

GameboyRMH
10/22/15 1:34 p.m.

I think the idea is that you could get the greater usefulness of a full Linux distro with the speed of ChromeOS.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/22/15 2:15 p.m.

This is an interesting thread- maybe making me "revive" some old computers.

But my intention is to donate them.

Given that intention to donate to a recycling place- which change from Windows7 would make most sense? From both a future user standpoint and my security. I read that a ChromeOS wipes clean the hard drive- and that's pretty appealing- and I know chrome books are pretty common.

GameboyRMH
10/22/15 2:57 p.m.

I'd go with Mint w/ MATE desktop, It's a nice sensible desktop system that anyone used to Windows could pick up and use without any trouble. I run this on my own laptop and have a few relatives using it who are pretty clueless with computers. It's about as easy to use and maintain as a full GNU/Linux distro can be, and at the same time it won't get in the way of power users. Similar to Ubuntu before it went off the rails into crazytown with unusual package choices and a weird half-mobile desktop environment.

If you need something with lower system requirements, I'd go with Mint w/ LXDE.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
10/22/15 2:58 p.m.

Well, for the average user, ChromeOS is 10x less intimidating than anything with the word "Linux" in it (deserved or not). However, if its their only machine, the more powerful "office" tools of other distributions are going to be pretty handy.

Honestly, I'm far above the average user, but I find Linux to be quite cumbersome sometimes. Libraries/drivers/etc. that are all sorted out and easy on windows sometimes have weird incompatibilities in Linux and there is not easy button to sort them out.

For example, on my Ubuntu installation, Chrome uninstalls a library that Dropbox requires, so I can't have both of them working on it.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/22/15 3:55 p.m.

Yea, I'm also thinking that a Chromebook like laptop would be appealing to an average person.

Even IF it's an only machine, it's really close to other chromebooks that one can get.

I'll contact the place I'm donating it to, as well. It can't run W7 anymore- just too bulky.

I had considered doing some kind of Linux on the thing for fun, but being that I've never gotten around to it, I'm sure I never will- just not needed.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/22/15 4:04 p.m.

I tried 2 different installations of Chrome OS on an older laptop (2008 Sony) and could not get the touchpad to work.

jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
10/23/15 8:44 a.m.

Try them both. One of the best, aside from being FREE, parts about linux distro's is the ease of installation. I can have a full install up and running in 30 minutes or less. My other computer advice to almost every question is to start with what you want the computer to do, then choose the computer and or software that fits the need. I would however recommend a full linux distro rather than Chrome. A full distro can be set up to act like Chrome, if you want, but still have all the other functions available if needed.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/5/15 8:38 p.m.

Posting this from my Neverware Chromebook installation. It rocks. I think it fits my needs better than Ubuntu by far. A buttload faster too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5T1PnjpAq3f8kS1cWEqK28uzZzrz9kuanhCTnkDAvAZzsAeEH3zgHEVVZh0iRnQA