Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/9/23 7:11 p.m.

I have a bunch of panels to cut up for a my market booth and I think it's time to get some saw track system for my circular saw. 

The saw I've got is serving me well, so I'm looking for a universal track system. What says the hive? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/23 7:18 p.m.

I'm a cheap bastard.  I use a 2x4 and two clamps.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/9/23 9:17 p.m.

I'm also a cheap bastard. But I use a rip of plywood (because it's straighter than a 2x4)

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/23 10:48 a.m.

I use a clamp guide. Like this

It's not a track, just a guide.  I use it a lot at work, so I just have memorized how wide my plate is on each side of the blade.  For instance, if I need a 24" piece, I know my saw plate is 3-1/4" on the fat side, so I measure 20-3/4" and clamp the fence there.  Suitable math can be used to put the fence on the drop side or the stock side, and for either direction with the saw.

Festool makes a wicked setup that makes my hootus tingle, but I think it only fits Festool saws.  Kreg makes a very nice track saw guide as well that is universal, but a little clumsy to set up.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/23 10:54 a.m.

You can make your own, also.  clamp a straight edge on a stick of lauan.  Glue/staple a 1x3 to the lauan making sure it conforms to the straight edge.  Now run your saw down both sides of the 1x3 in the same direction so the one side gets cut on the fat side of the saw, and the other cuts on the skinny side.  Now you can measure, mark, clamp that on your lines using the appropriate side, cut.

Bonus points for using a sharpie to mark lengths on the lauan.  If you're cutting a 4x8 sheet and you need a 2x2 panel, you can use the numbers to estimate where to stop on each cut.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Dork
6/12/23 12:42 p.m.

I have the Kreg Accucut saw guide and it works fairly well but I would probably try something else if I had to do it again. The big issue I have with it is that it relies on rubber feet on the bottom to keep it in place with no means to clamp it down, so depending on the material it can slide around if you don't keep the guide and the material clean.  Also, the part of the guide that butts up against the edge of the material is plastic that fits a little loosely in the aluminum track so you can't rely on it to be square.  When it's lined up right and I'm careful to not slide the track it works great.

Like SXRex, I use a strip of plywood for anything longer than 48" and it works well.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/12/23 12:46 p.m.

I've got a Makita Plunge Cut Track Saw and I really like it, but I also could use a battery powered rear handle, too. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/12/23 12:46 p.m.

Festool makes a wicked setup that makes my hootus tingle, but I think it only fits Festool saws.  

Festool is pretty awesome if you can afford the gold standard of woodworking tools 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zCUAWcbWmOyygznymVYiQNHVj2FzLmEQ9BrgnvmxedYXGBl1GMMhpls4OeWDqdYi