1 2 3 4
foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/30/12 2:28 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Umm... you know they make coffee makers with these things called timers. You set it the night before and wake up to nice hot coffee.

Yea yea. (where's a raspberry smiley face?)

Honestly, I don't like having things turning on and getting hot while I'm asleep. I've already had too many house fires from appliances in my life.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/30/12 2:30 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Honestly, I don't like having things turning on and getting hot while I'm asleep

not... sure... if ... serious? Even if she wakes you up?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
11/30/12 2:32 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I am slorking on a pint of fresh ground Wegman's Expresso Roast, piping hot and black as the bitter, angry core of my own heart. If this day gets any worse I might add a jigger or 3 of burbon to sweeten it up a bit.

I have coffee. I have bourbon. Why have I not done this yet?

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
11/30/12 2:45 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Cafe Bustelo and a stove top 6cup espresso maker, FTW. Recently I've been enjoying some Italian espresso coffee from Ville, and Italian company. Kroger was selling it for $12 for 12 ounce (!!!!) but it had hit the manager's sale cart for $4. It's freaking fantastic. It's easily the finest ground coffee I've ever bought, like flour. It comes in these brushed aluminum finished cans that are heavier gauge sheet metal than my car and have a metal screw on top that is plastic lined for a positive seal. You open the can by unscrewing the lid and lifting the tab on the the pressurized metal inner top that then peels away. damn shame I bought the last two cans they had for $4.

Cafe Bustelo ftw, indeed. These days I keep an espresso maker on the desk in my office.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/30/12 2:47 p.m.
Mitchell wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I am slorking on a pint of fresh ground Wegman's Expresso Roast, piping hot and black as the bitter, angry core of my own heart. If this day gets any worse I might add a jigger or 3 of burbon to sweeten it up a bit.

This is one of those combinations that works great. Coffee=Awesome. Bourbon=Awesome. Coffee+Bourbon=Crazy Awesome Awesome.

It went much better than my other experiment involving bourbon: I was a little more than slightly inebriated, sitting in my boxers on the recliner watching tv when a commercial for ice cream came on. I thought, man, I should go get some ice cream from the freezer. I go to get it, and see a coke and think, hey, I should pour some coke on it--that is one of my favorite things, a black cow! As I'm about to pour it on to make my black cow, I spot my bottle of bourbon, and I think, hey! Bourbon and coke is one of my favorite things. And Coke and icecream is one of my favorite things. I should make a Bourbon and Coke and Ice Cream black cow! Bad idea. One of the worst things I've ever choked down.

/tangent.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
11/30/12 2:53 p.m.

I don't think slorking means what you think it does.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
11/30/12 2:53 p.m.

Denis Leary nailed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxgv4QtKM8

Coffee flavored coffee FTW.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/30/12 3:12 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
I don't think slorking means what you think it does.

I will go quickly update Urban Dictionary to make:

slorking: to hork a liquid

Those other motherberkeleyers are just stealing my made up words.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
11/30/12 3:20 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
This is one of those combinations that works great. Coffee=Awesome. Bourbon=Awesome. Coffee+Bourbon=Crazy Awesome Awesome. It went much better than my other experiment involving bourbon: I was a little more than slightly inebriated, sitting in my boxers on the recliner watching tv when a commercial for ice cream came on. I thought, man, I should go get some ice cream from the freezer. I go to get it, and see a coke and think, hey, I should pour some coke on it--that is one of my favorite things, a black cow! As I'm about to pour it on to make my black cow, I spot my bottle of bourbon, and I think, hey! Bourbon and coke is one of my favorite things. And Coke and icecream is one of my favorite things. I should make a Bourbon and Coke and Ice Cream black cow! Bad idea. One of the worst things I've ever choked down. /tangent.

see, your problem there was the Coke. Whiskey + vanilla icecream = win.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/30/12 5:35 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Yea yea. (where's a raspberry smiley face?) Honestly, I don't like having things turning on and getting hot while I'm asleep. I've already had too many house fires from appliances in my life.

I suppose... My first coffee maker died when after 25 years, the heating element in the plate melted through the plastic. No fire, but it did stink. Still made that last pot of coffee before it died.

You must live in a mighty cold house.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
11/30/12 7:19 p.m.

I've been spoiled by European coffee. Even a stop at McDonald's in Spain or Italy can produce very good Cappuccino or Cafe Americano. I buy LaVazza, which is a really inexpensive, but good Italian coffee, and just got a Nespresso machine - which uses capsules like the Keureg, but in my opinion, has much better coffee.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon HalfDork
12/1/12 3:32 p.m.

SWMBO has ruined me on coffee. We grind coffee beans at home, now all other mass produced stuff tastes dirt.

Sput
Sput New Reader
12/1/12 3:55 p.m.

Work has me in hotels 2-3 nights a week. Hamton inn and Holiday Inn Express have the worst coffees ever. At home SWMBO tries various brands so each week I never know what brand I'll be drinking at home. The bad stuff gets diluted with vanilla cream just so I can drink it.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/1/12 7:19 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Honestly, I don't like having things turning on and getting hot while I'm asleep
not... sure... if ... serious? Even if she wakes you up?

LAUGHING. I walked right into that one.

OK, I'll make an exception for that.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
12/1/12 7:58 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: Carolans is still whisky based. Far better than that Aldi swill but I still favor Bailey's
Carolans isn't quite as good as Bailey's but Bailey's sure isn't worth twice as much.

I've tried all the Bailey's alternatives i could find and the only one i'll buy now is Duggan's. it's usually about $24 for a handle vs $37+ for baileys and if its mixed with anything else, especially something strong like coffee, i prefer the duggans. still think i like baileys if its on the rocks though, but i havent bought it in years so who knows now.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/1/12 8:55 p.m.

when I spent a few months in Panama and Costa Rica i enjoyed drinking coffee at every meal... even the cheap stuff was so good...

I still enjoy a good cup occasionally... a friend of mine is a roaster... when we visit I have a cup... I need to get a grinder and french press...

but really I prefer drinking some good whole leaf tea...

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/1/12 9:43 p.m.

In reply to donalson:

French press for coffee, loose leaf for tea.

What more could one ask for?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/1/12 9:43 p.m.

I grind my own coffee, usually something purchased at Wally-world, use a Krups grinder and a Krups coffee and espresso maker, purchased used on ebay for $7 and $10 respectively.

10 years ago.

Now who's Grassroots Bitches.

BTW currently enjoying a fresh brewed cup with a shot of the Captain (Select)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d27f4eo6egzXGnBvhi3cquPwH6E2DNrAP4J9WvypvJz9Oerv5RGP3zEMZGho6Mlm