1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/24/10 4:36 p.m.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
6/24/10 5:19 p.m.

Maybe it was in 1978. The combined switch that is.

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
6/24/10 6:03 p.m.
pete240z wrote:

yelch.

Jensenman wrote:

Awesome.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/24/10 8:28 p.m.

Man Vans still exist. You just can't buy them new. Usually they're used cargo vans. A proper man van is:

• Painted a boring color
  • Dented and scratched
  • RWD or AWD
  • Probably has a tow hitch
  • Has room to berkeley in the back
  • Inspires people to move out of the way when merging
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/24/10 8:42 p.m.

I'd rent one on vacation. I'm sure they'll end up in rental fleets.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/24/10 10:50 p.m.

Oh come on guys you don't remeber that SUV from a year ago or so with sperm whale penis leather seats? The shame..

It's the Pombron Monaco Red Diamond Edition SUV.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/11/dartz/

And sadly Whale penis seats are even to manly for it anymore.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/24/10 11:15 p.m.

Here are a couple of real vans

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/24/10 11:23 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I'm still tempted to take our '00 Villager & turn it into the "Pillager" -> 4" lift all around, black steelies with Mudders, flat-khaki or desert-camo paint, custom cargo roof rack with lights, back ladder with rack for spare & gas can, custom front bumper/bar with winch. ...yeah, it'd still be a 2wd posermobile, but it would be a helluva lot cooler than that ManVan thing.

I plan to do something similar if my sister sells me her windstar next tax season. Badge delete, winter camo, ect..

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
6/24/10 11:49 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Man Vans still exist. You just can't buy them new. Usually they're used cargo vans. A proper man van is: * Painted a boring color * Dented and scratched * RWD or AWD * Probably has a tow hitch * Has room to berkeley in the back * Inspires people to move out of the way when merging

you just described my tow rig perfectly

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/25/10 12:11 a.m.

I pity da foo who don't think this is a man van!"

jhaas
jhaas Reader
6/25/10 12:50 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Here are a couple of real vans

that is so badass!

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 New Reader
6/25/10 4:02 a.m.
Salanis wrote: Man Vans still exist. You just can't buy them new. Usually they're used cargo vans. A proper man van is: * Painted a boring color * Dented and scratched * RWD or AWD * Probably has a tow hitch * Has room to berkeley in the back * Inspires people to move out of the way when merging

What he said...except mine's a stretch (155" wb!) passenger van that's one of the best tow rigs ever, and still gets a solid 14 mpg.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 New Reader
6/25/10 4:06 a.m.
fornetti14 wrote: I'd rent one on vacation. I'm sure they'll end up in rental fleets.

Aye, they do, and when they DO sell, it's for pretty reasonable money, because there's not much market for them. Makes 'em a heckuva deal. I was gonna say a 'whale of a deal', but I thought that might be misconstrued...

Luke
Luke SuperDork
6/25/10 5:05 a.m.

Man Van.

Salanis wrote: * Painted a boring color * Dented and scratched * RWD or AWD * Probably has a tow hitch * Has room to berkeley in the back * Inspires people to move out of the way when merging

Check!

integraguy
integraguy Dork
6/25/10 7:41 a.m.

I was thinking that maybe if they made the van look more like an SUV, ala the Nissan Xterra, and less like a people hauler, they might be headed in the right direction. Then, I got visions of all the drivers I've seen lately of big, hulking SUVS....they are almost always women.

Chrysler, you need to actually ASK men what a "man-van" would look like, instead of just building what you THINK a man-van would be.

If I could build a man-van, it would be a "cargo van" just a driver and front passenger seat, with an interior upholstered in material that blocks outside noise but has great acoustics so when I crank the stereo it doesn't have to be to levels of distortion, and with hooks strategically located for tieing down ....well, pretty much whatever fits inside.

The colors would be black, charcoal grey, fire red, or orangey yellow. And wheel choices would be buyer selectible at the dealership....a sort of no-cost accessory.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
6/25/10 8:42 a.m.

That looks more like a desperately trying to compensate for my boring suburban existence van. Big wheels and a scoop on a minivan just makes it sad.

The real man van these days is and should always be a sport station wagon with way more power than any sane person would expect and fat rear tires necessitated by the RWD layout.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
6/25/10 8:48 a.m.

The scoop makes the minivan look even dumber.

ep3_lol
ep3_lol New Reader
6/25/10 8:57 a.m.

Has this really not been posted in here yet?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/25/10 9:08 a.m.
  1. I like the Chrysler Man Van.
  2. I think that "combined starter and ignition switch" was this cool innovation where you turned the key to turn the car on, and turned it more to engage the starter. Sadly, this innovation was abandoned and we now have start buttons again.
  3. The race-oddity is berkeleying awesome.
  4. So is the 1978 Dodge Street Van. In a completely different way.
  5. Quigleys, hands down, are the baddest van in the land.
Ian F
Ian F Dork
6/25/10 9:12 a.m.
integraguy wrote: If I could build a man-van, it would be a "cargo van" just a driver and front passenger seat, with an interior upholstered in material that blocks outside noise but has great acoustics so when I crank the stereo it doesn't have to be to levels of distortion, and with hooks strategically located for tieing down ....well, pretty much whatever fits inside. The colors would be black, charcoal grey, fire red, or orangey yellow. And wheel choices would be buyer selectible at the dealership....a sort of no-cost accessory.

THIS!!!! A more 'basic' version of the current Caravan would make an awesome UV. And with the stow-n-go seats, you still have people carrying capability (and also keeps it titled as a car - which is good), while maintaining a flat floor for cargo. Ditch the 3rd row and rear side windows, make the floor rubber, add a raised roof option and trailer-brake towing package and I'll be at the dealer first thing in the morning.

I've been drooling over Quigley's for years... but they are VERY pricey...

orphancars
orphancars Reader
6/25/10 12:53 p.m.

I've got yer man-van........riiiiight.......here:

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/25/10 2:55 p.m.

Oooooh Damnation Alley!

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/25/10 3:30 p.m.

I came across this site years ago when I was considering a 4X4 Van as a tow rig for my Bronco's :

http://www.thundersgarage.com/4x4vans4sale.html

Cool galleries.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/25/10 4:10 p.m.
Luke wrote: Man Van.
Salanis wrote: * Painted a boring color * Dented and scratched * RWD or AWD * Probably has a tow hitch * Has room to berkeley in the back * Inspires people to move out of the way when merging
Check!

WHAT IS THAT I MUST HAVE ONE

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/25/10 4:11 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I was thinking that maybe if they made the van look more like an SUV, ala the Nissan Xterra, and less like a people hauler, they might be headed in the right direction. Then, I got visions of all the drivers I've seen lately of big, hulking SUVS....they are almost always women. Chrysler, you need to actually ASK men what a "man-van" would look like, instead of just building what you THINK a man-van would be. If I could build a man-van, it would be a "cargo van" just a driver and front passenger seat, with an interior upholstered in material that blocks outside noise but has great acoustics so when I crank the stereo it doesn't have to be to levels of distortion, and with hooks strategically located for tieing down ....well, pretty much whatever fits inside. The colors would be black, charcoal grey, fire red, or orangey yellow. And wheel choices would be buyer selectible at the dealership....a sort of no-cost accessory.

It's what a man van would look like it if it was designed for the perfect man, by women.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RblQkHvAcZqIlhoYFFAKMb6T1idf5qZXqCNnZtr3awaCcK9ZpzwczcYaMldlfmis