prima
prima
5/27/08 7:57 a.m.

Getting use to the new website. Computers, to me, are like having the correct gear to wear when working the course at a auto-x or having all the good tools to change and take care of the wheels and tires. That said where do all these computer terms come from? Like cookies, URL, spyware, etc, etc. do they mean something or are they some words the programer liked. Could spam be called crap or rubbish and mean the same thing? Thanks.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/27/08 8:11 a.m.

Spyware is a good term, I think. It's any software that is installed on your computer (usually with your permission - read those End User License Agreements!) whose function is to gather information about you and / or your browsing habits and send the data back to some source to be used for planning for world domination - or marketing.

Cookies are little bits of data that your computer saves for its own use. They help web pages load faster, they can save your password information for sites you use often (GRM), and they can do other things as well. They are so named, I suppose, because they taste suspiciously like oatmeal rasin cookies.

Can't remember what URL stands for. But I'm sure it makes sense to somebody here.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
5/27/08 8:28 a.m.

Uniform Resource Locater

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/27/08 8:29 a.m.

URL is Uniform Resource Locator, which is an indescribably geeky way to say we're going to have a standardized way of saying where this THING can be found. Later, some even geekier geeks tried to get it replaced by URI, but even the other geeks said that was just getting ridiculous. Meanwhile, all the normal people in the world just called it a web address, much to irritation of the geeks, who insisted it's not technically an address. Technically.

I have no idea how cookies got their name. Spam was partially named as a tribute to Monty Python.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/08 8:32 a.m.

I don't like spam

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 10:29 a.m.

Bloody Vikings.

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
5/28/08 10:13 p.m.

I wouldn't say spyware is good:omg:

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
5/28/08 10:33 p.m.
I don't like spam

You could order the spam, eggs, sausage and spam. There's not THAT much spam in it....

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/29/08 12:32 a.m.

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spamity spam spamity spamity spam

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 7:59 a.m.

Now in single slice pouches for emergencies.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 8:20 a.m.

I wish we had Google Ads on the left.

No really, I love the SPAM recipes. I cook it up and ship it to the neighbors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P1CqQQEttXXo8ScUVlBAvFU2Lu3kFGUyadxQgZtDKvufZRlRR001LVFH8TljT8rC