1 2 3 4 5
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
3/21/23 9:00 a.m.
Jerry said:

A friend with abilities to do background checks looked up the driver.  At least 4 citations for speeding and DUI going back to 1991, including a license revoke in 2008 for a bit.  Really wish they had done a breathalyzer.

Now I have to answer every stupid unlisted call I get in case it's the company USAA uses for subrogation to get my deductible back.

The hospital might have in doing standard lab draws.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 4:46 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Jerry said:

A friend with abilities to do background checks looked up the driver.  At least 4 citations for speeding and DUI going back to 1991, including a license revoke in 2008 for a bit.  Really wish they had done a breathalyzer.

Now I have to answer every stupid unlisted call I get in case it's the company USAA uses for subrogation to get my deductible back.

The hospital might have in doing standard lab draws.

I think they would have to get his permission as he may have the right to not let them do that. I am sure this varies state to state. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/28/23 8:55 a.m.

Sunday I rented an electric jackhammer and turned this.

Into this after 2 hours and finally.

Into this 4 hours later. I'm getting too old for this E36 M3. I got to meet multiple neighbors while I worked, asking about it and the driver.

Now I just need to haul everything away. Either rent a truck and do it myself (maybe with friends) or find a service. I don't seem to have any young friends with a truck looking to make a quick $100.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/23 9:32 a.m.
Jerry said:

Now I just need to haul everything away. Either rent a truck and do it myself (maybe with friends) or find a service. I don't seem to have any young friends with a truck looking to make a quick $100.

Ewoks?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
3/28/23 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Add all of those expenses to the claim.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 New Reader
3/28/23 10:44 a.m.

what a unit  of a mailbox

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/28/23 11:14 a.m.

Gonna suck out there moving rocks around sweating like a horse when that reckless twit blows by in his new Civic.  =~(

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

The guy had to do this AFTER Evan got his patio filled in...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/2/23 8:44 a.m.

Saturday morning, and that's about it except for maybe something decorative around the number plate that survived.

Roller-coaster weather and open hours for the local dump, I called the first Google listing for debris removal. They came out that morning, gave me an estimate. When he realized that I knew how much the dump charged and what a rental truck cost, he dropped the price a bit.

He started at $450. When I said I figured myself I'd be in about $150-200 he dropped it from "half-load" to "one-third load" and $350. For the convenience of being DONE I said do it. 15 minutes later they were done and we talked about Star Wars for a couple minutes.

Google says subrogation takes an average of 6 months, so we'll see how long till I have my $1k deductible.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/23 7:34 p.m.
John Welsh said:

There are even rules about how mailbox height.  Be versed in these when setting your post height.  https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm

I used ^this today when I reset my crooked mailbox post.

Thank you.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/17/23 12:28 p.m.

I still havent made it into Say What? yet, but at least my thread has.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/17/23 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Say What By Proxy?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/19/23 7:26 p.m.

So, the reason for bumping this.

My wife comes home this evening and goes, So, do you know what happened the mailbox?

Me: Um, no.

TL;DR: Someone clipped our mailbox. 

That explains why the mail was left by the front door. (I figured it was because the package wouldn’t fit in the box.)

Guess we’re going to Ace tomorrow....

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/23 8:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ok, this is your thread now. Follow up required. wink

David S. Wallens
12/19/23 11:03 p.m.

The thread so far:

I texted my neighbor to whine/complain.

He’s in bed sick.

So, wanna help replace my mailbox post? I asked.

That got a LOL.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/23 11:10 p.m.

Our town road crew demolished our mailbox with their wing plow two weeks ago. Again. 3rd in three years. The new guy that took over plowing duties when the old timer retired needs to work on spatial awareness. They bought us a new one and installed it this week.

For you southerners a wing plow is an extension off the side of the plow truck that extends to increase the path covered by the plow truck. And take out mailboxes apparently.

David S. Wallens
12/19/23 11:14 p.m.

This is the second time (that I know of) that our mailbox has been hit in the 20+ years that we have lived here. 

I came home several years ago and thought, Did I just see our mailbox on the ground? 

I parked in the garage and let the car idle for a minute. 

When I got out, a woman was walking up the driveway–pretty much in tears.

She had winged the mailbox–just the box, not the post–and was very upset with herself. I told her no harm, no foul. I’ll make it all right. (I know, I’m a softie.)

The next day, I found a $20 beneath our door mat. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/20/23 8:33 a.m.

'Round here there are snow plows that don't even blink when totaling out a mail box.  Cantilevered posts are popular, one guy put his 6 ft from the road and had it self center back on location after being hit.  Clever.  David, put some 3/8" boiler plate covering the headlight side of the box, they'll stop hitting it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/20/23 9:00 a.m.

I was wondering why this was suddenly popular.

I do notice mailboxes on the roads now, someone near my work has piled cinder blocks around his mailbox post.  I never did get around to redoing the my post, it's kinda flimsy and leaning forward, but it works.  See if it survives winter and snow, and the neighbor around the corner.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
12/20/23 9:07 a.m.

I also have a funny mailbox story-  

This past summer I was doing my usual-  late for work, drinking coffee on a curvy road.  I spilled hot coffee on my lap and in my panic and pain, I clipped a mailbox.  I stopped, and there was a mailbox post with no mailbox on it right where I hit it... It ripped my mirror right off my car.  In a rush, I left a note apologizing profusely, with a promise to come replace it after work, left my phone #, etc... 

After work, I buy a mailbox and some wood and screws and the likes for a roadside install.  I get the mailbox on without any issue when the homeowner comes outside, very confused.   I explain what happened, apologized in person, and showed him my handiwork.  He starts laughing, and goes 'I'm sorry to tell you this, but I have a PO box.  I haven't had a mailbox in 15 years.'  Well crap.  Turns out, I hit his neighbors mailbox, which was totally unscathed aside from some Blue BMW paint on it... 

Now I have a brand new mailbox in my garage for next time though, haha. 

David S. Wallens
12/20/23 9:17 a.m.

I woke up this morning and thought, Ah, nothing planned for this evening.

Then I remembered that I have to go to Ace. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/23 10:32 a.m.

I had to replace my mailbox a couple of months ago. 

It didn't get hit though, it rusted through and a wind gust blew it over. 

The replacement post and box were exactly like the original and slid right over the base that was driven into the ground. Total replacement time for me, 0 minutes. I sent my son to Lowes and let him take care of it. 

Winning!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/20/23 10:37 a.m.

My mailbox is 5 miles away, in town, at the post office.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/23 10:42 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

thanks for the LOL

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/20/23 10:43 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I woke up this morning and thought, Ah, nothing planned for this evening.

Then I remembered that I have to go to Ace. 

Ace IS the place with the helpful hardware folks. Make sure you tell them you know that. THEY LOVE IT. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFzIBIcDyizQ2e5ia8GScxE40RHaw6rcOuatCArpsnkCVIWB3K7I4Ki1YXf3p7BD