1 2
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
12/22/23 3:23 p.m.

I have wanted to add "StreetVan" emblems to DogeVan, but they are a little played out at this point, and the font doesn't really work with the newer bodystyle and updated (yet still outdated) graphics I used on the van.

So, when I recently saw an emblem I would like to use, I immediately went to t3h Googles to find it.   Thing is, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I swear I've seen something like this before, but can't find one (I would need two) anywhere.  Even photos of any others besides this particular emblem.   Complicating things is the fact that the van in question is located somewhere in Europe, and I don't know if that emblem is OEM, custom, or semi-custom.  

Now, I thought of maybe cobbling together parts from a pair of emblems to make this one, but it appears that the only place I can get the "VAN" part is from a Dodge Caravan, and everything I have seen so far is a smaller scale.

"Dodge Ram" emblem I picked up last week at a JY.

"Grand Caravan" in a similar font, but smaller scale.

Now, here is the thing- even if I do manage to find the "VAN" part in the same scale as the "DODGE", it appears that there is a recessed area that the gradient is in.  I am sure I have never seen any of these emblems in that font in the states with that recessed area.  Which means I would likely have to figure out some way to mill down the center of each letter to add the three color blue gradient of DogeVan's graphics.  

So where does that leave me?

Buy a 3D printer, learn how to use it, and then figure out how to somehow scan and enter the dimensions for these emblems with the recesses?  (Seems like a long, steep, expensive learning curve, and I'm not getting any younger)

Cast emblems out of pewter or aluminum?  (Still quite a learning curve, but with much more hands on, and a lot more work cleaning up the castings)

Epoxy?  (Still would need to make a mold, as above, and I would really prefer for the exposed edges to appear as brushed aluminum, if possible)

Any other ideas?    I'm kinda stuck on this right now.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/23 3:28 p.m.

I can help on the modeling and printing side of things. I've remade a few center caps for wheels and did a set of custom emblems for Monzora.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
12/22/23 4:45 p.m.

Nothing I can find.

Found this tho: Dajiban

not very big, 

*edit*

DID come across this tho:

listed on ebay as 78-80 dodge van emblems. linky

Maybe close to the font to make it happen?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
12/22/23 6:11 p.m.

There is a guy on TicTok that 3d prints custom emblems  , and a German guy that 3d prints stuff with "magnetic" emblems with carbon filament and chromes them.

Next time they pop up I can post the name ?

here it is , customcaremblems.etsy.com  and @customcaremblems  is the TicTok name 

You can see how he designs them , prints them and paints them,

12/22/23 10:10 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Thank you!
That probably would make the most sense in this circumstance.  I can take care of the color myself.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/23 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

Shoot me a message with what you are thinking and we can go from there. I'm out of town and away from my printers and CAD software for the next two weeks but we can get some ideas going

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
12/22/23 11:44 p.m.
CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/23 1:24 a.m.

Don't know if this will help.  Obviously not the same font, but says what you want at least.

1985-86 Dodge Mini RamVan Lift Gate Emblem Nameplate - 4319994

https://www.ebay.com/p/1323860405

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/23/23 6:09 a.m.

That C/V Ram Van logo is cool!

12/23/23 6:50 a.m.
CJ said:

Don't know if this will help.  Obviously not the same font, but says what you want at least.

1985-86 Dodge Mini RamVan Lift Gate Emblem Nameplate - 4319994

https://www.ebay.com/p/1323860405

I would be all about that, except for two issues.

1) I would need 2 of them; 1 for each door.
and
2) I have already seen how cool the gradient looks on the red van in the OP.

Also, I learned some Important Information during my time in the rabbit hole last night. (see below)

12/23/23 7:01 a.m.

So, while deep in my googles in the search for the emblems on the red van last night, I discovered a blurb from someone saying it was the first van that he had seen with this set of emblems actually installed.   Apparently, he has seen the emblem, gradient and all for sale on t3h eBay, NOS, no less.    

Which lead me to further googles, which lead me to this-

Yes, that is the very emblem I am looking for, on an actual Dodge RAM VAN found in this brochure.   It appears that Dodge dropped the StreetVan option package around 1980, and offered the RAM VAN option package in '81.  It doesn't appear to have been quite as popular as the StreetVan, which makes me like it all the more.  

12/23/23 7:06 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Shoot me a message with what you are thinking and we can go from there. I'm out of town and away from my printers and CAD software for the next two weeks but we can get some ideas going

Will do.
It may take me a bit to get my thoughts in order to write a coherent email.

While the latest development is big, I doubt I am going to be able to find a pair of original emblems anytime soon, and even if I did, I would still need to strip the original gradient off and them repaint with the colorway of my van, because that's just how I roll.    And I would hate to do that with a pair of emblems that rare when there are better options available.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/23/23 8:18 a.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself said:

So, while deep in my googles in the search for the emblems on the red van last night, I discovered a blurb from someone saying it was the first van that he had seen with this set of emblems actually installed.   Apparently, he has seen the emblem, gradient and all for sale on t3h eBay, NOS, no less.    

Which lead me to further googles, which lead me to this-

Yes, that is the very emblem I am looking for, on an actual Dodge RAM VAN found in this brochure.   It appears that Dodge dropped the StreetVan option package around 1980, and offered the RAM VAN option package in '81.  It doesn't appear to have been quite as popular as the StreetVan, which makes me like it all the more.  

Ok, now I want a van restored to look exactly like in the picture.

12/23/23 9:33 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
12/23/23 9:59 a.m.

It was driving me crazy because I knew I had seen that emblem before, and like you, couldn't find it. There's a Ram Van like the brochure one that pops up at cars and coffee here every so often. It has barn doors vs sliding, but same color, paint, wheels, etc. 

12/23/23 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

If you notice, the first photo is also the same color, and has the same wheels.
Heck, it even has what looks like the original RWOL General Steel Radial tires on it.  surprise

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/23 12:18 p.m.

Look at the way contact is spelled on the sign in the window.  Maybe it is a Euro Ram Van emblem.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/23 12:51 p.m.

I would say that 3D printing is the easy button here. It's not a complex design at all. Print it in black ABS with a lip around the top and then you can fill in the gradient as you like. If that's what you want, I'd be happy to do the design and printing as a fun way to spend the time. You can do the paint work :) Just give me the dimensions you want, and if you want RAM and VAN to be joined as one piece or separate.

12/23/23 4:51 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Look at the way contact is spelled on the sign in the window.  Maybe it is a Euro Ram Van emblem.

As I mentioned in the original post, the van is located in Europe. (Norway, to be exact)

But it is an U.S. Spec van-

I believe the mileage to correct, based on the original tires and other photos of the van.

And the brochure I posted above shows it was an U.S. option package.

Keith Tanner
12/26/23 12:25 p.m.

3D model done. Tell me how long you want it to be and I'll pop one out for you.

12/26/23 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

WoW!

I didn't expect anything so soon!   I feel like an ass to ask if could you do two of them?
I would gladly compensate you.   

I would have to do some cipherin' to get an OAL, but from the beginning of the "R" to the end of "M" at the base would be 5 11/16"

Keith Tanner
12/26/23 7:14 p.m.

No problem, it was fun. I'll scale it and print out a couple for you. I'll put it on a single solid bar so it looks like the factory ones.

12/26/23 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

THANK YOU!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/26/23 9:42 p.m.

More of what makes GRM Great!  

Keith Tanner
12/27/23 12:21 a.m.

Question.

Due to the print size of my bed, I can either print it at 88% scale in one piece (RAM would be about 5.5" long), or I can separate RAM and VAN into two pieces and hit your 5 11/16" measurement for the RAM part. What's your preference?

Also, the recessed area (for your color) is 1mm (0.040") deep. I can make that any depth you want, just let me know if you want something deeper.

I'll print this in black, but the rendering looks better in grey :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cKeeZI4ZEOXiFoCKR7sqUa28VxXqN1I2M5yu0pPmzLhDCj7V72S0eGcAhCLe7WAQ