1 2
Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/25/08 10:33 a.m.
petegossett wrote: OK, I'm old & out of touch...I've never heard of "emo". Any examples of the genre?

Go to Starbucks. Look at the whiny guy behind the counter; the one in black lipstick with his hair hanging over one eye, looking vaguely like a goth that had his balls lopped off. Just imagine the kind of music he'd listen to.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/25/08 10:34 a.m.

we dont wish to inflict it on you so no.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/08 10:26 p.m.

Eh, no wonder I haven't heard of it. I'd wondered what was up with those metrosexual/goth dudes though...

FWIW, there is one new band I've been really diggin lately, though I'm not sure there's actually that much new about their music. http://www.enamelband.com

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
7/25/08 11:50 p.m.

When contemmplating this question, I keep coming back to the "...peaked in 1976" thread, which I think could more accurately be 1972.. But then, I'm an old fart.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/08 8:43 a.m.

You know, the more I think about it, I'm not so shure the '00's are about genre, as they are about format.

Corporate radio has taken over 90% of the FM stations, meaning that no longer do you hear such a wide variety of music as you travel across the country.

Satelite radio definitely has a broader spectrum of music, but it is the same all across the country.

MP3's have taken over as the format of choice for most - be it for their Ipods, cars, computers or phones. Along with that, illegal pirating has greatly increased, making it harder for record companies(and thus artists)to make money. With so many people downloading albums, or just singles, album cover artwork has even less of a factor now, than it did after the shift away from vinyl.

Yet, for new/independent acts, it's far easier to go it alone now. It's possible to generate a far greater amount of media & pr through a band's website, and everything from recording their album, to cover art, to filming their own video and publishing it on youtube. Virtually everything a band needs can be done on one computer, and it can be done for the price of a decent instrument.

Let's not forget American Idol either. While I'm not a fan, it has given many people a chance at stardom who may not have otherwise had the opportunity. A few have them have even reached varying levels of success.

So while not much significant in music may have changed this decade, the music industry has seen almost a complete revolution from where it was 10-years ago. I was just getting out of music at that time and remember all the talk of the coming changes. Looking back, I think the artists of today have more leverage than they did a decade ago, but if anything, I think it's even harder to make any money now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wj08lwgIJxoutNz1LPOObF6CyNcRcbm4I0GHxUY3zcx3oL5wpzeyKlWJHIyi7vBJ