1 2
Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
10/22/09 5:16 a.m.

and if you add some wrist and ankle cuffs to the design, you could also use this in a way your blonde wife might enjoy....

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
10/22/09 7:50 a.m.
Supercoupe wrote: and if you add some wrist and ankle cuffs to the design, you could also use this in a way your blonde wife might enjoy....

As in: Dabney Coleman's character in "9 to 5".

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
10/22/09 8:19 a.m.

nah, I meant so you could hold her up there while she waxes the top of your truck.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
10/22/09 8:24 a.m.

As with most problems in engineering, someone else has already solved it.

Do a google search for 'Jeep hardtop hoist' and you'll get a lot of home-made and commercially available systems people use for removing the hardtop from their Wranglers.

Bob

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/22/09 10:29 a.m.

I just bought a commercial solution because by the time I found all the pieces and assembled them, the cost (including the value of my time) was the same or less than homemade. (I did find one cheap on ebay back before ebay sucked.)

Mine uses a block and tackle to increase the mechanical advantage to the point that I can easily lift/lower it with one hand. There's no need for a re-purposed garage door opener, winch, etc.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/22/09 10:34 a.m.
alex wrote: 'Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the Earth. Or snap this bolt. Whatever, just hold my beer.'

I like this.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/22/09 1:07 p.m.

In reply to alex:

I did something similar to store my son's cart on the ceiling of my garage -

took a square of plywood, mounted a D ring in the center and routed 4 pieces of aircraft cable (hooks on one end) to holes drilled right above the axles and attached to the D-ring. Hooked the D-ring to a thicker piece of aircraft cable, around a single pulley (stolen from the clothes line) and to a boat hook on the wall.

You would probably have to put your beer down, but it was cheap and took about 20min to make.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/22/09 1:12 p.m.
alex wrote: And how did you know my wife is blonde...?

I hope he hasn't been helping lift her top....

alex
alex Dork
10/22/09 10:50 p.m.

I like simplicity. And I like ease of use. And I'm cheap.

I'm thinking of a cheapo rope block and tackle ($7 from China Freight), combined with four equal-length segments of rope, with a carbiner on each end. Hook one end of each biner to the lower end of the B&T, the others each to a corner of the ladder rack. Using equal rope lengths should ensure even lifting, right? With this system, I have two pulleys working for me, and a pretty simple attachment system. I can hoist manually, or, if I feel the need, employ a manual crank winch mounted on a wall.

Make sense? Thoughts?

TJ
TJ HalfDork
10/23/09 8:49 a.m.

I had a somehwat similar contraption to remove the hardtop from my Jeep. I only used 2 pulleys, a come along, and some big eye bolts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kwXeXjrneb8P1NoGaiAkNQGsX1UbV9oIvmy8NUwOXDRvca51osHjpn2iRTHaHMue