1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/23/10 8:52 a.m.

<= This one handles well, but not much is original

Photobucket

This one has Bilsteins, air suspension and a supercharger to override that horsepower issue mentioned earlier

MA2LA
MA2LA New Reader
4/23/10 9:13 a.m.

well there used to be a scca group for compact trucks witch if i remeber right the jeep comanche won 2 years in a row. I have had a couple and they do handle very well. Heck even my dodge diesel hands great but i have put better shocks on it and a rear swaybar and a wider tires and much better brakes but i think the power it has really helps it handle since i can make it oversteer with very little throttle. I have played with a few people on back roads and no one has been able to pull away from me. the close to 600 hp and well over 1000 lbs of tq make it very quick out of a turn

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/23/10 10:07 a.m.

There is nothing wrong with good old solid axles in terms of handling provided the road is a smooth surface. I really want to make a road racing sixth gen F-100.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/23/10 1:03 p.m.
Keith wrote: Old Land Rovers have a little bit of British sports car inside them. I don't know if they "handle" per se, but they can maintain a decent rate of speed down a twisty road once they get up to speed. They have to, they can't accelerate if you slow down The fact that the CoG is much lower than you'd expect due to the aluminum body is probably a factor...

Very true and your best off apexing somewhere that other vehicles can't manage anyway. Like through a stream.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
4/23/10 1:18 p.m.

Trucks handle well until they don't. With the huge weight difference front to back, trucks tend to understeer up to the point that they snap oversteer. SUVs are better ballanced.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/23/10 1:23 p.m.

^ Crew Cabs with the real short beds are too.... but you have to do 3-point turns in the slalom....

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/23/10 2:58 p.m.

The Trooper handles surprisingly well for what it is. The steering's a little numb but the body roll is pretty low and you have to do some stupid things to get it unsettled (take THAT, Consumer Reports!). My Rodeo drove much the same but had a tendency to wag its tail on loose surfaces. The Nissan 4x4 was tall and narrow feeling, wasn't confidence inspiring.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/23/10 3:05 p.m.

The first thing that we did to my Excursion was to add the sway bars from the F-350 to the suspension. Made an incredible difference in handling. Good tires also helps. The real problem is that you usually give up towing and/or load abilities to get the truck to handle. I have several sports cars but only one truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vgEfcfhLoNNZMNg7kirAzwCO3G8eoNWfggc6D8LpmfIdKwyrrjBMNydIw8swkRWW