1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/18/09 1:12 a.m.

Worst cook ever:

I had a friend whose mom managed to burn a green salad.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
8/18/09 1:20 a.m.

Which reminds me of a very good warm salad:

Rinse off a decent bunch of fresh baby spinach, set aside. In a small saucepan, heat up 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. To this, add a tablespoon of pine nuts and a few ounces of thinly sliced, slivered pancetta; fry in the olive oil until the nuts smell a little toasty and the pancetta becomes crispy. Slowly drizzle over the greens; if they wilt a little, it's okay. Toss, and top with a little grated parmigiano reggiano.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
8/18/09 6:48 a.m.

Very similar to ^^

Wilted Lettuce Salad:

cook up 1/2 lb of bacon VERRRRY crispy. saute some sunflower seeds and red pepper in the resulting grease. Pour the hot grease/peppers/seeds over cold romaine lettuce, top with fetta crumbles, crumbled bacon, shredded carrots, sometimes corn if Im feeling wild, and honey mustard, and serve immediately.

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
8/18/09 9:34 a.m.
Josh wrote: I believe I may have mentioned this here before, but I have gone pretty GRM with my cooking, I actually built a smoker using a terra cotta flowerpot and an electric hotplate this summer, based on a design in an episode of Good Eats on food network.

I've been meaning to build one like that.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
8/18/09 11:48 a.m.
keethrax wrote:
Josh wrote: I believe I may have mentioned this here before, but I have gone pretty GRM with my cooking, I actually built a smoker using a terra cotta flowerpot and an electric hotplate this summer, based on a design in an episode of Good Eats on food network.

DO IT! Tried split chicken breasts for the first time last night. Brined for an hour, an hour and a half in the smoker at 240ish (until they hit 160 internal), and they were great. I am going to have to do these more often because they are much less time intensive than ribs, brisket, or pork shoulder.

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
8/18/09 12:03 p.m.
Josh wrote:
keethrax wrote:
DO IT! Tried split chicken breasts for the first time last night. Brined for an hour, an hour and a half in the smoker at 240ish (until they hit 160 internal), and they were great. I am going to have to do these more often because they are much less time intensive than ribs, brisket, or pork shoulder.

In the process of moving to a new house at the moment, so no time. But once there and settled...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/18/09 12:12 p.m.

I do a thing I call CheddarSlaw Mountain Muffin Burger Mignion. Mix finely minced onions and a pinch of shredded horseradish with ground beef, form into a patty the same diameter as an English muffin, and wrap the perimeter with bacon, secure with toothpicks. Douse with Worsteshire. Broil or griddle fry patty.While it's cooking, slice an English muffin like a hamburger bun, cover with extra sharp cheddar, and toast. Slice lettuce very thin and mix with Kraft coleslaw dressing (I know coleslaw is normally made with cabbage, but you should try it anyway; it works)

Put the cooked patty on the toasted muffin, and pile on the slaw. Serve. I've seen grown men cry eating these.

Plus, it has bacon, so you know it's good!

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
8/18/09 3:22 p.m.

I'm a decent cook. Cooking is like building an engine or setting up a suspension; start with good ingredients,assemble with some care in the proper order, pay attention. It'll work! May I be excused now? I have to go put a chicken on the rotisserie.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FmcJ9HePixQaxrqBhrNlseAii9fnHn54xkq2tedjm4ig1cPUzzCch2cf1YRVqUhR