1 2 3 4
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/24 10:05 a.m.

I was always diligent with these type actions when I had my Miata.  With the Prius, less so.  

But, I have been known to be proactive with getting license plate photos of neighboring cars in a parking lot if the spot I've had to take has a risk like a poorly aligned neighboring car.  Of course, first choice is to find another parking spot.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/22/24 10:22 a.m.

If by planning ahead where I'm going to minimize motions etc, then yes. I don't really worry about door dings. I drive Kia's, not Aston Martins. 

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
2/22/24 10:54 a.m.

Whenever the wife and I go to the store, especially Walmart, we try to get the spot next to the island. What really grinds my gears is when I pull over almost to the curb and the guy next to me moves over in his parking spot to shade towards me! Hey dude! I moved away from you for a reason! 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/24 11:10 a.m.

I'm also a park in the shade kind of guy. Shady spots are the most prime, and I'll walk a ways so that I don't have to bake in the car and burn my hands on the shifter and steering wheel. Window shades are also a requirement. Many people down South follow this method.

I've been known to park up on a curb to get next to somebody taking up two shady spaces in the back of the lot. If you want to take up multiple spaces to keep your car safe, don't park in the prime spots. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
2/22/24 11:40 a.m.

How many times do you park by backing in ?

I often back in if its tight , its easier backing in and a quick getaway  , 

This is a full size Chevy Express van

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/24 11:58 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Not me but a kindred spirit:

But for me, parking by the cart return is a big no no.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/24 12:00 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I hear the concerns but am okay with it since, at least here, it puts you next to a curb. I have used this very spot many times. 

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 12:01 p.m.

I was looking for a photo from last spring’s British car day in Sanford, Florida. This is near the beginning of my shots.

I really snugged it in there, huh? 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/24 12:04 p.m.

It depends on what I'm driving. 

I'm pretty particular about where I park the Bentley. It's going to be parked in a distant part of the lot next to a curb assuming I park it at all. There are a few lots I won't take it to just because of the quality of customers the businesses attract. Walmart for instance. If I desperately need something from Walmart, I'll go back to the house and pick up a different car. 

The DDs I'm less particular about. I'm going to prioritize shade over curb parking though those frequently go hand in hand. I don't mind walking so I tend to park at the back of most lots in a shady spot. Parking garage spaces are always too small so I immediately head for the top levels and let the impatient take the lower floors. From there, I'll find a spot away from the elevators. 

There are a few parking lots I just won't park in no matter what I'm driving. There is a really good Japanese restaurant near my office I won't go to because the strip mall they are in has the parking lot from hell. It's all narrow, short spaces just looking for a parking lot accident. If the lot has bad access, small spaces, poorly marked lines, and such, I just don't go to those businesses if the lots are crowded. 

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 12:06 p.m.

Along those lines, when parking the Miata, I often think, Will someone not see the car and back into it?

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
2/22/24 12:34 p.m.

Ideally, the task of parking should strike a balance between analysis paralysis and utterly reckless action. 

I tend to go into it with that in mind. What results is usually a breathtaking display of driving prowess, performed with little or no conscious thought on my part, that ends with the vehicle being placed in a configuration that is not only perfectly aligned with the parking lines and the cars around it, but quite often with the universe itself. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/22/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I back in every time because:

1) you're supposed to.

2) big truck. If you drive in, sometimes you have a hard time backing out when the cars parked around you have changed.

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:25 p.m.

How to park like a boss. Just saying.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/24 1:44 p.m.

I did today. Returned from jury duty mid morning so I intentionally drove to the furthest section of the lot and parked on the line next to my coworker who always parks away from everyone in the corner spot. I drove past at least 10 empty spaces to do so. I hope he doesn't realize it's my vehicle and complains about it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/24 2:00 p.m.

I read this on my lunch break. Heading back in now. 

Since they sodded the islands last month, I have to leave a bit more room for the long coupe doors. 

M16ta
M16ta New Reader
2/22/24 2:13 p.m.

Parked next to a cart well when I was younger, to save the freshly repainted bitchin' Camaro I had at the time from acquiring any door dings.  Passenger princess back then immediately flung her door open, right into the cart well...

Just a few years ago, new to me truck, paper plates on it still, found a great spot at the very front of a row.  Had the half moon "you can't park here" on one side, and a janky old Lincoln or something like that in the other spot.  Hesitated for a second, but convinced myself that I wouldn't be long, and how often do you get the spot right up front?!  Came out to the janky old boat being gone, and a massive, half-dollar sized dent in the side of my new to me truck.  Like, if you would hit it with a ball peen hammer, it may have been a shallower dent.  Daily reminder to myself that no matter what I drive, be picky.

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 2:36 p.m.

From earlier today. Got the good spot.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/22/24 9:03 p.m.

Back when i had a gym membership I was always surprised by how many gym rats parked right by the doors. 

You would think people who enjoy sweating would appreciate a walk through the parking lot. 

2/22/24 9:12 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Not a gym rat, but I usually park at the far end of the lot. Either from driving something reasonably nice that I don't want to get dinged or driving my truck (fullsize, extended cab with no backup camera) and it's just easier to park where nobody's around. I've noticed that I frequently get inside just as fast or faster than the folks driving around to find a close spot.

🐂💩
🐂💩 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/24 9:33 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

I did today. Returned from jury duty mid morning so I intentionally drove to the furthest section of the lot and parked on the line next to my coworker who always parks away from everyone in the corner spot. I drove past at least 10 empty spaces to do so. I hope he doesn't realize it's my vehicle and complains about it.

When I was at my first base in the AF we had an E-4 that would park his brand new Mustang in two spots at the dorm as close to the entrance as he could.  One day I backed in right beside him putting my passenger door inches from his drivers door.  He was pissed that he had to climb in from his passenger door but he didn't do that again.

2/22/24 10:13 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Tried to edit this, but no joy. Either on editing or annoying my coworker. He had not left the building before I went home this evening so he didn't notice what I did. I'll have to try again...

But, I can edit this post!

Kylini
Kylini Dork
2/23/24 5:13 p.m.

Did someone mention Prius parking?

They did the worst job in the best spot...

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/23/24 6:13 p.m.

The parking spaces under the trees at my office are extra wide and pie shaped so they're even wider where other people open their doors.

I always park in the Red "X" space and my boss's, boss's, boss always parks in the White "X" space (BTW, he drives a sweet Rivian pickup).

Even though I have a 42 mile commute we pull into the parking lot together almost 50% of the time which was the case this morning.

As we walked to the building together I mentioned my commute distance and my 50% observation and he said "that's my statistician".

TIL that the C Suite guy actually knows what I do.

David S. Wallens
2/23/24 6:43 p.m.
Kylini said:

Did someone mention Prius parking?

They did the worst job in the best spot...

They could have scored and A+ and instead failed. 🤡

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/29/24 7:52 a.m.

In reply to johnleo12332 :

This AI or fake reply crap is annoying already.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KlSg1LjnO8jxkdic92HYNBmcHjAjeiAlrgDrfxeE00VSlOgZ49BazYYpBpXfHwFR