1 2 3 4
java230
java230 Dork
10/19/16 10:25 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: I see they say high test gas. Do they also say alcohol free gas?
They recommend 89 octane or better, but don't specifically recommend against ethanol. The Stihl 2-cycle oil (which is very highly recommended) is a semi-synthetic oil with fuel stabilizers, which I would guess takes care of the ethanol problem. The fuel Liberty put in the tank was red in color. I have no idea why- the Stihl 2-cycle oil is blue like all the others.

The red is because its Tax free off highway gas. Its dyed.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
10/19/16 11:25 a.m.

In reply to java230:

Ah, OK. I thought they only did that with diesel.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
5/22/21 11:34 a.m.

I broke my chain sharpener. Amazon sold me Stihl's file. It's set up so while it does the tooth, it also does height adjust on the rakers. After my neighbor tried it out, he got one too. This feller used to keep half a dozen chains on the wall, and used a  bench mount off-the-bar sharpener. This file setup he says, sharpens better, in a tiny fraction of the time. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/21 2:52 p.m.

Stihl.  The one.

Personally, I have 2 Husqvarna saws that were given to me.  A Rancher 50  and a newer version of the same.

The Rancher 50 is very hard to start and it might be down on compression.  The newer version runs fine.  If I do wear it out, I will buy a Stihl to replace it.

And for what it is worth, sharpening a chain IS an exact science.  Which I have not mastered yet.  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/21 2:58 p.m.
java230 said:
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: I see they say high test gas. Do they also say alcohol free gas?
They recommend 89 octane or better, but don't specifically recommend against ethanol. The Stihl 2-cycle oil (which is very highly recommended) is a semi-synthetic oil with fuel stabilizers, which I would guess takes care of the ethanol problem. The fuel Liberty put in the tank was red in color. I have no idea why- the Stihl 2-cycle oil is blue like all the others.

The red is because its Tax free off highway gas. Its dyed.

Ummm, no.  It is red from the two stoke oil that is mixed in.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/22/21 6:38 p.m.

Zombie thread alert!

Update: 5 years later, the MS250 is still running great!  Used it to dice up a giant, multi-trunked Ash tree last year, and fell a large oak.  All turned into firewood.  I did burn up a bar, and have bought a few spare chains, but the saw itself it a hoss. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/21 11:37 p.m.

My favorite saw is stihl 026 (260, 261) series. Its a great pro-saw at 50cc. Just don't put anything bigger than a 20" bar on it. I believe you can still get them with a traditional, computer free carb.

If I could only have one saw, the Stihl 46 series (80cc) is my choice. But granted I'm accustomed to pro saws, and I used to work in the woods, from redwoods to sierras.

Seen alot of people have trouble starting saws. Usually when they pull it on full-choke after it fires the first time. After the first pop, half/choke and no problems. Or when they try to full-choke a hot saw.

If I was to buy another saw for around the house I'd probably get the milwaukee m18. Another vote for chaps. And C-A-T (combat application tourniquet).

When it comes to Stihl vs Husqvarna pro saws, it's really just a choice of preference as the choke/throttle lock is different between each. 

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 New Reader
5/23/21 12:12 a.m.

Decidedly necro thread... but having ran Stihl & Husky they have a couple basic differences at the same level. Stihls seem to have better torque, will rev down and still drag chain. Huskys tend to be lacking on the bottom end but have good punch in the mid/top where the chain is more efficient anyway. Newer Huskys feel like a "ported" saw right out of the box. 

Apples to oranges maybe... well both orange... anyway at the "pro" level saws its hard to get a bad one. We heat with wood, I have a Husqvarna 550xp that I like very much and a Stihl ms170 equally so. Husky is for felling/chopping trunks, Stihl is for limbing and odd jobs. With good sharp chains and keeping them out of the dirt everything goes really well.

Echo and Jonsared also have decent followings so whichever is the main brand at your local dealer if you want to go with a non Lowes/HD version. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/21 11:00 a.m.

I've used Poulan Pro series saws for awhile. They are a bit cheaper than the cheapest Stihl but have a bigger engine and more power(supposedly)

The one my dad brought lasted him 15 years but needs a carb rebuild now, that ain't bad

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/24/21 7:44 a.m.

No, I don't.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQ9zq8hFEKqmapfeKrzuu8nsoIvBy6qSXD448tQjgapiEy0RLfIPP60tTDkUxURU