1 2 3
2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
6/7/09 6:59 p.m.

there was a geo listed for sale around here, except they listed it as a G.O.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
6/7/09 8:24 p.m.
Carson wrote:
RedS13Coupe wrote:
P71 wrote: * Rotory engine
I don't get it?
RotAry Speaking of...I've seen "4 Cyl Rotary" A few times. Also, I've seen a lot used lots advertise "V4 Civic." Or any number of inline four engined cars.

AHHHH, speeling has never been my strong point...

M030
M030 Reader
6/7/09 9:21 p.m.

I won't bid on a BMW or Porsche on eBay if the seller describes it as having a "V6"

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/8/09 9:53 a.m.
M030 wrote: I won't bid on a BMW or Porsche on eBay if the seller describes it as having a "V6"

That would be about half of them, around here.

My personal favorite is phonetic spelling of the French exclamation - "voila".

There are variants, but it is usually something like "walla".

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/8/09 10:24 a.m.

Vye-OH-la!

;)

Once in a (seemingly ancient by now) local car advertisement publication I saw a recurring ad for a racing kart with a blue pwinted engine.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/09 10:33 a.m.

how about the italian favorite... the ALPHA Romeo

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/09 11:42 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: how about the italian favorite... the ALPHA RomeRo

Edited for correctness...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/8/09 12:24 p.m.
M030 wrote: I won't bid on a BMW or Porsche on eBay if the seller describes it as having a "V6"

Heck, even the BMW dealers here say V6 in their newspaper ads. I wonder if the person at the newspaper who takes the ads over the phone has a data entry program on their computer that defaults to V6.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/8/09 1:37 p.m.

Makes me want to give the guy selling the 3-series with the "strate six" a break.

No, not really.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
6/8/09 7:53 p.m.

There was a radio ad by BMW of Canada recently, where the announcer used the word asterix.

How unprofessional is that?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/8/09 10:09 p.m.
suprf1y wrote: There was a radio ad by BMW of Canada recently, where the announcer used the word asterix. How unprofessional is that?

Maybe he's a fan of the comic book?

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
6/9/09 1:59 p.m.
72SuperBrian wrote: In English, the apostrophe shows ownership or replaces the letter "i"

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment: that's not entirely true.

phoenix13
phoenix13
9/18/09 10:30 a.m.
2.0dohc wrote: there was a geo listed for sale around here, except they listed it as a G.O.

That has got to be my favorite.

As mentioned by Toyman01 and wherethefmi, as bothersome as misspellings may be, when it comes to buying an item online, they can help you save some money potentially.

There are misspelling search tools like typojoe.com that allow you to enter in a keyword and then will automatically generate possible misspellings of the word(s) and take you to ebay to show you any resulting listings.

There are supposedly people who earn a living finding misspelled items, buying them at a discount, and reselling them for a profit. Not sure if you can make a living doing it, but you may find some excellent deals.

I'd say this strategy would work better with 'Buy It Now's rather than auctions, but if you find an auction, you could always just send the seller an offer, you never know.

To have an advantage when trying this method, you need to know as soon as an item is listed that you may be interested in, to get a jump on all other potential buyers.

http://www.ebuyersedge.com will allow you to save searches you're interested in (both misspellings and 'normal'), and send you an email when an item is listed matching one of your searches.

EBay also gives you this option (for 'normal' searches anyway), but they only send out one email per day max, per saved search. Ebuyersedge checks as often as every 5 minute for a saved search, sending out an email immediately upon finding an item.

cwh
cwh Dork
9/18/09 11:15 a.m.

Not e-bay, but I have a customer in Antigua that send me e-mails that are almost incomprehensible- this morning- " Hi good moring chick (my name is Chuck)can you give me call plz thank you". Last Wed- "You what live the locks of now." He must be an example of the education system there.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/18/09 12:08 p.m.

My issues revolve around sentence structure typically.

"The alternator needs replaced"

The motor need fixed"

YOU ARE MISSING VITAL WORDS!

I had this conversation with an otherwise intelligent individual, in person, and he didn't believe that "... needs fixed" was incorrect.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/18/09 12:29 p.m.
Duke wrote: I always wonder how you can spell the name of the car wrong when it is spelled correctly several places on the freaking car itself. My number one automotive wording peeve has to be "breaks" instead of brakes", though.

Are you sure that is a misspelling? Lots of cars are on there because they "breaks" all the time.

cwh
cwh Dork
9/18/09 12:36 p.m.

Where I come from, eastern Ohio, "The car needs worshed" is common accepted practise. Helps me figure out where they are from. You'ns is another one. Big dummies don't know that the proper plural of "you" is really "Ya'll"

Jay
Jay Dork
9/18/09 12:39 p.m.

"For sell"
"Priced to sale"

Sorry, but it's not very hard to tell those words apart! Geez.

NVHEngr
NVHEngr New Reader
9/18/09 1:05 p.m.

Could someone please translate this mess?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1364395486.html

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/18/09 1:20 p.m.

Miner rust and he'll trade for a Camero! Wow! Great deal!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/09 9:18 p.m.

Lot's of different ways to find Saab Sonett misspelled on e-Bay.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/18/09 10:34 p.m.
cwh wrote: Where I come from, eastern Ohio, "The car needs worshed" is common accepted practise. Helps me figure out where they are from. You'ns is another one. Big dummies don't know that the proper plural of "you" is really "Ya'll"

Let the Southern Boy help..I've always spelled it "y'all", since it's actually the contraction of "you all". Of course, IIRC the `proper' phrase should be "all of you" in the first place.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/18/09 10:41 p.m.

In reply to NVHEngr:

PIONNER 4TEEN was NASA's first space probe to a trailer park.

http://msl.jpl.nasa.gov/Programs/pioneer.html

I guess I should lighten up on the trailer park jokes, now that I'm flirting with buying a "manufactured home"...

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
9/18/09 10:55 p.m.

It doesn't irritate me, but it sure makes me question buying it. Like when one kept calling their rig a "Geep." It's one of the few vehicles that has big raised letters spelling it out on the hood, plus the steering wheel, key, fenders and rear end. Tell me how you can't spell that.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
9/18/09 11:46 p.m.

"poke the bear" moment in 5,4,3,2.....

Jeep is actually slightly misleading. Orriginal service vehicles were known as GPs (General Purpose), and soldiers called them "jeeps".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
59jRgtN6DtwmspG6eQ8WnFVRPSwqKGcpvxtFzI0ifeQLC361CwdL54Pbk3K8BnOi