914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/18/11 10:43 a.m.

Might have to go next week, how's the weather? Interesting things to see?

Dan

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/18/11 11:45 a.m.

Ft. Polk looks great in the rear view mirror, as does the rest of The Swampland.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
1/18/11 12:34 p.m.

I just spent 5 days in Alexandria. The fishing was good as was the duck hunting.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/11 1:29 p.m.

I spent 2.5 years there thanks to the US Army. As the good DR. said it looks best in the rear view mirror.

With that being said, stop at Jack's All Ya' Need , kind of a interesting local store. Also stop in to Catfish Junction, eat some Aligator and throw peanut shells on the floor.

If you are going to be on the Post and have a car Artillery Road can be a fun ride. Back when I was stationed there (early 90's) the MPs did not patrol out there and it was fun to go bombing around.

If I think of anything else I will post it up.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
1/18/11 1:49 p.m.

The weather's pretty decent this time of year, fairly mild. Unfortunately, the MPs DO patrol Artillery Road now, so be careful. Leesville is a dump, but as mentioned, Alexandria isn't too bad. The Waffle House on base is good though (we don't have those out here on the west coast).

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/19/11 5:59 a.m.

I hate Waffle house, I know it's un-American.

They had a check fire there, that is firing a cannon someone hollers stop and you stop shooting. Oh wait, there's one in the chamber. The gun is hot so if you don't get it out in five minutes the round gets "unstable". They tried pulling the big bullet out with a tool but broke it so they called the EOD guys.

Standard procedure is to put some C4 in the muzzle end, fill it with water, cap off the muzzle and light off the C4. Now it's unstuck. Problem is there are three different stories on how much C4 is needed. I have to go and inspect the bore to see if it's bulged or bent.

I'm hoping for a morning flight, a quick peek and be home by 9.

Murphy usually has other plans.

Dan

carzan
carzan HalfDork
1/19/11 6:13 a.m.

At least it's not summer. Ain't as many skeeters out trying to carry you off.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/19/11 7:58 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:
I must say, you have an interesting job.
Of course, that much travel for a 5 minute look seems like a tough schedule.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
1/19/11 8:29 a.m.

Not too long ago my son had to fly to Venice Italy for a 5 min service call. Repair a door contact on a cruise ship money room. I kind of like that kind of work.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/19/11 10:05 a.m.

Just got word: Fly out on Tuesday, on the ground Wednesday, fly back Thursday.

Got a food recommendation?

Dan

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/19/11 10:59 a.m.

The one (and only) good thing about The Swampland is that it is almost impossible to get a bad meal there.

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
1/19/11 11:30 a.m.

The Diamond Grill in downtown Alexandria is outstanding. Cecil's in DeRidder is good too. At least you don't have to go to Arkansas. What a E36 M3hole.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/19/11 2:02 p.m.
spriteracer wrote: At least you don't have to go to Arkansas. What a E36 M3hole.

Shhh. I think Hess is listening.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Adm5vWXQndOTHTAspJYYqdShVsoKrrlnVMHQF1Lphp3xwD6sfxVhTVnhSdSd6Jvz