David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/13 12:53 p.m.

Those who know me know that I rarely take a break--and even when away from the office I still have my laptop with me. Well, just got back from a few days in New York, and the laptop wasn't invited. The reason for the trip? Fine art? Family? The city's wonderful attractions?

How about metal--Testament live in concert. I caught both area shows, and nice to see them headline. Just a killer, brutal showing. The second one was filmed for an upcoming DVD. Look for me: I'm the guy in the black T-shirt.

Opening acts were 4arm (okay), Flotsam & Jetsam (solid) and Overkill. Overkill's not really my cup of tea--just don't like the singer's voice--and they had to cancel their appearance at the second show due to the lead singer's pneumonia.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/13 12:56 p.m.

I have just two Overkill songs on my phone - Horrorscope and Skullkrusher.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/19/13 1:00 p.m.

In a manner of speaking sure... sometimes even to shape it's future.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/19/13 6:27 p.m.

Overkill dropped off the tour. i was thinking about possibly seeing them in Minneapoils this weekend, but i had to buy a car..

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/19/13 6:32 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In a manner of speaking sure... sometimes even to shape it's future.

You need a quick change took post.

David S. Wallens
2/19/13 6:39 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: Overkill dropped off the tour. i was thinking about possibly seeing them in Minneapoils this weekend, but i had to buy a car..

Yeah, I saw that. I went for Testament, though. The rest was just gravy.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/19/13 7:01 p.m.

Nice, I missed them this weekend when they were in MA. Testament always puts on a killer show.

And yes, I do take days off to go see metal bands. The New England Metal and Hardcore Festival is spanning 3 days this year, and I'm hopefully hitting up the 1st day, which is a Friday. Here is the lineup:

Anthrax performing Among The Living in its entirety, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, Exodus, Municipal Waste, Black Breath, Holy Grail, VYGR, Dead By Wednesday, Multilation Rites, Trap Them, Death Before Dishonor, Xibalba, The Mongoloids, Power Trip, Expire, Twitching Tongues, Suburban Scum, Rude Awakening, The Greenery, Disgrace, Antagonist AD, The Greenery, Battlecross.

I'm pretty much going to see Anthrax, and the rest is a bonus. Most of the bands on that day, with the exception of Exodus, Municipal Waste, and Holy Grail, are not that great IMHO.

David S. Wallens
2/19/13 7:42 p.m.

Next on our list is the Metal Alliance tour: Anthrax, Exodus, Municipal Waste and a few others.

And then, some GWAR. Somewhere in there I'm seeing Dick Dale, too.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/13 7:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Next on our list is the Metal Alliance tour: Anthrax, Exodus, Municipal Waste and a few others. And then, some GWAR. Somewhere in there I'm seeing Dick Dale, too.

One of these is not like the others.....

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
2/19/13 8:17 p.m.

As a matter of fact I am taking a vacation day this Friday to see an Italian Gothic/Doom band called The Foreshadowing. First ever US tour. They are supporting black metal acts Marduk & Moonspell, not too interested but may stick around for them. Also seeing Royal Thunder, Pallbearer, and Ancient VVisdom supporting Enslaved this Thursday.

After that maybe see Nile in March then a whole month till the Metal Alliance tour hit the NEMHF in Worcester, MA.

David S. Wallens
2/19/13 9:03 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Next on our list is the Metal Alliance tour: Anthrax, Exodus, Municipal Waste and a few others. And then, some GWAR. Somewhere in there I'm seeing Dick Dale, too.

Dick Dale? Hey, if there was no Dick Dale, there might not have been metal. He planted the seed.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/19/13 9:41 p.m.
petegossett wrote:

yeah, GWAR is a bit out there..

do you remember the old Beavis and Butthead episode where they were going to a concert that featured Metallica, Megadeth, SLAYER, and Color Me Badd? how epic would that show be?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/13 9:48 p.m.

I used three vacation days to rebuild a minibike.

http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/grm/71-honda-ct70-mini-trail-vintage-pit-bike-update/1645/page1/

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/13 9:34 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In a manner of speaking sure... sometimes even to shape it's future.
You need a quick change took post.

You, sir, are not berkeleying kidding. It is on the top of my "next time I have $300 and my race car is completely finished and there is nothing around the house that needs doing..." list.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/20/13 6:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
petegossett wrote:
Dick Dale? Hey, if there was no Dick Dale, there might not have been metal. He planted the seed.

First 100 Watt amp. He kept blowing the lower wattage ones up, so Fender built him a 100 watter. That's LOUD, folks. A cranked 100 Watt amp, regardless of genre, is LOUD.

David S. Wallens
2/20/13 6:40 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
petegossett wrote:
yeah, GWAR is a bit out there.. do you remember the old Beavis and Butthead episode where they were going to a concert that featured Metallica, Megadeth, SLAYER, and Color Me Badd? how epic would that show be?

I'd say that GWAR is metal. And it involves gallons of blood, an added bonus.

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Color Me Badd? That would be, um, interesting. Might as well throw in some NKOTB while you're at it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KIccBksaKEhQPJbqv14xRSpP3vmrvp3371k018xgvZmanoudFBNjuFybXErgrbBZ