1 2 3
motomoron
motomoron Dork
6/20/13 11:44 a.m.

But name a bad sounding inline 6...

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/13 11:55 a.m.
motomoron wrote: There's a couple kinds of cars that just don't sound good to me, no matter what. - Any Subaru. Doesn't matter which one, and I've been on-track at NASA TT/UTCC with the grarliest most fire-breathingest Subes in existence. They all just sound flat and drone-ey. - SCCA Spec Racer Fords. The most un-sexy exhaust note of all race classes. At Summit point I always pit close to start-finish along the front straight, and the SRF field sounds like a sort-of-fast-moving flock of mooing cows.

I just noticed this about the SRFs this last weekend. It was really disappointing. I mean, they're Proper Race Cars, right? The sound reminds me of rental karts; a sort of flat blatting that scarcely sounds like acceleration... But I've sort of had them on the brain, as the big local school does a lot of arrive-and-drive stuff with them. I figure when I'm ready to do some wheel to wheel there couldn't be a much better way to try it out.

Which leads to an observation not related at all to exhaust notes: Even if it's more cost-effective to rent a seat and enjoy all the time that frees up, it doesn't keep you busy, and thus prevent you from spending the money on other pastimes.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/20/13 12:03 p.m.

In reply to motomoron: I actually don't care for the note of the s54 until it is truely straight piped........idk why I think that though.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/20/13 12:56 p.m.
motomoron wrote: But name a bad sounding inline 6...

Jeep with a blowmaster.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/13 1:09 p.m.

Cummins.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/20/13 1:39 p.m.

Fart cans and straight pipes...
Sounds like part of a missing verse to "Stickshifts and Safety Belts"

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/20/13 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

That one was too easy......name a good sounding I-6 diesel. (Shouldn't be hard)

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/20/13 2:41 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

A big Detroit Diesel 2 stroke in an old school Kenworth.

Will
Will Dork
6/20/13 4:01 p.m.

Mopar Slant Six.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
6/20/13 4:05 p.m.

I think the /6 can sound pretty good once it gets a decent exhaust, and with Dutra Duals or headers they're supposed to sound really nice.

I've never personally heard either anything like that though. My /6 Savoy ran stock stuff and it wasn't too impressive, I'll agree with that.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/20/13 4:16 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: In reply to yamaha: A big Detroit Diesel 2 stroke in an old school Kenworth.

Ding ding ding, we have a Weiner. In a peterbuilt is also acceptable.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/13 4:50 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Knurled: That one was too easy......name a good sounding I-6 diesel.

Does it have to be running to count?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/20/13 6:13 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to Knurled: That one was too easy......name a good sounding I-6 diesel.
Does it have to be running to count?

....and, now for a completely different opinion:

"There's something about the yowl of a straight six that stirs the blood" - Richard Hammond, Top Gear, Season 1 Episode 6
Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
6/20/13 6:36 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I think the /6 can sound pretty good once it gets a decent exhaust, and with Dutra Duals or headers they're supposed to sound really nice. I've never personally heard either anything like that though. My /6 Savoy ran stock stuff and it wasn't too impressive, I'll agree with that.

ZZ Top Manic Mechanic, 0:06 and 2:29 toward the end. Yes that is Billy G's first car, a Valiant slant six.

Manic Mechanic

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
6/20/13 7:10 p.m.

I dunno, I thought my 5.9 12 valve Cummins sounded great. 4" MBRP system, 5" tip, and a straight through muffler. I was downright disappointed when I put a 4" Magnaflow system on my 7.3 Powerstroke and it was almost stock sounding, even with a similar muffler. The Cummins just sounded so much better.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/20/13 7:13 p.m.
Will wrote:
Mopar Slant Six.

LIAR! BLASPHEMER!!! BURN HIM! BANINATE HIM!!!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/20/13 7:16 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Two cars with the best sounding stock exhausts: Lots-o pops and gurgles.

Agreed. The exhaust on the SRT that I test drove new almost made me forget that the car was yellow - and that the sales guy and sales MANAGER were berkeleying retarded.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/20/13 9:31 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: I dunno, I thought my 5.9 12 valve Cummins sounded great. 4" MBRP system, 5" tip, and a straight through muffler. I was downright disappointed when I put a 4" Magnaflow system on my 7.3 Powerstroke and it was almost stock sounding, even with a similar muffler. The Cummins just sounded so much better.

I tend to agree. Mine had a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back when I bought it. I added a straight-through muffler after my mechanic said something had to be there to pass PA inspection. I swear it did nothing. A coworker said he could hear me accelerating a quarter mile away and said I really needed to add that muffler... then I told I already had... That truck was loud.

...unfortunately, that was about the only good thing about it...

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/20/13 11:06 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

I hate about everything Cummins.........that's about the nicest thing I can say there. Was your 7.3L a full turbo back? At some point they had some type of catalyst looking setup on them.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
6/21/13 9:00 a.m.
Will wrote:
Mopar Slant Six.

Lies and slander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3YIvbj3h4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzODTFqLTU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW4FsmgoHU4

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
6/21/13 9:37 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Two cars with the best sounding stock exhausts: Lots-o pops and gurgles.

So does a stock N/A Neon with a "Camaro Style" Thrush welded muffler on it.

Glasspacks and straight pipes belong on tractors and old hot rods...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/21/13 12:55 p.m.
ransom wrote: I just noticed this about the SRFs this last weekend. It was really disappointing. I mean, they're Proper Race Cars, right? The sound reminds me of rental karts; a sort of flat blatting that scarcely sounds like acceleration... But I've sort of had them on the brain, as the big local school does a lot of arrive-and-drive stuff with them. I figure when I'm ready to do some wheel to wheel there couldn't be a much better way to try it out.

I think it's partly because they use Supertrapp mufflers, which have never sounded good to me. SRFs do sound better when your driving them, though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yK8H3sGTlxmTXhHQYEg31T187ROenw7iItPRxqTy0l84KCMmkczdv0SJV4x0rh3E