1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/12/10 4:40 p.m.

Sandwich north of the Mason-Dixon.

Charring some eggplant tonight got me thinking, what's a good sandwich?

I dredge 1/2" thick slices of eggplant through basil flavored oil and burn both sides on the grille. I do this to red peppers also. Roll out pizza dough, lay on eggplant, peppers, garlic and mozorrela, fresh chopped basil, it's a pie!

Got me thinking about your favorite sandwich.

I dredge eggplant in oil, burn it and put it between toasted Italian bread with a slab of Mozorella, a few leaves of fresh basil from the garden, perhaps tomato and it's a meal.

My all time favorite is the Sunday morning fix.
Toast, lots of mayonnaise, thinly sliced Bermuda onioin, tomato, ground black pepper, chesse sometimes; the comics and a pot of coffee. By the time I'm finished, she's rousing, I'm going back to bed.

However I will never turn down a good peanut butter and bacon ....

Dan

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/12/10 4:46 p.m.

For me, nothing can replace a patty melt on Rye with grilled onion. Pick your favorite cheese; I'll take mine with American or Widmer. Variations of the same are also really really good, thats just the way I like mine.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/12/10 4:51 p.m.

So many tough choices, sammiches may be the greatest achievement in culinary history.

A Rueben with good ingredients is hard to beat.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/10 4:51 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: A Rueben with good ingredients is hard to beat.

this

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
11/12/10 4:55 p.m.

Turkey, bacon, avocado

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
11/12/10 5:16 p.m.

BLT/Ruben

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/12/10 5:22 p.m.

Leftover turkey from thanksgiving, a loaf of bread, and a jar or Miracle Whip or mayo.

Brian

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
11/12/10 5:42 p.m.

Hot pastrami on rye...with mustard.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
11/12/10 5:44 p.m.

Good 'ol PB 'n J

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/12/10 5:54 p.m.

I got a few:

A good ol Reuben on marble rye, but I like slaw vs kraut...warm corned beef and cold slaw go great together

pulled pork bbq with slay and mustard on a burger bun is tough to beat

I enjoy a good grilled cheese n bacon, cuz anything with bacon > anything else

a slab of goetta or meatloaf (whichever is in a leftovers tub in the fridge), fried until crispy, with lettuce, mayo, horseradish, onion, maybe banana peppers if Im feeling randy, and some good sharp cheddar on thick cut sourdough. A side of sea salt and vineagar chips and a frosty cold Mt Carmel pale ale. Im in heaven...

Pumpkin Escobar
11/12/10 5:55 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Turkey, bacon, avocado

that makes an excellent sandwich!!! serve it up slightly grilled to crisp up the bread and add some lettuce for crunch!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/12/10 5:56 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Turkey, bacon, avocado

That's a good sammich!

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
11/12/10 6:04 p.m.

This is torture! At least 2 more hours before I will be home to make a sammich...

Anybody else like the Jack In The Box grilled deli sammiches? Might have to make a pit stop on the way home.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/12/10 6:07 p.m.
Pumpkin Escobar wrote: a slab of goetta or meatloaf (whichever is in a leftovers tub in the fridge), fried until crispy, with lettuce, mayo, horseradish, onion, maybe banana peppers if Im feeling randy, and some good sharp cheddar on thick cut sourdough. A side of sea salt and vineagar chips and a frosty cold Mt Carmel pale ale. Im in heaven...

There is an Irish pub here in town that makes a meatload sammich on marbled rye, with red onion-onion rings, ketchup.

I used it and a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest to ease my hangover last weekend.

Pumpkin Escobar
11/12/10 6:10 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Pumpkin Escobar wrote: a slab of goetta or meatloaf (whichever is in a leftovers tub in the fridge), fried until crispy, with lettuce, mayo, horseradish, onion, maybe banana peppers if Im feeling randy, and some good sharp cheddar on thick cut sourdough. A side of sea salt and vineagar chips and a frosty cold Mt Carmel pale ale. Im in heaven...
There is an Irish pub here in town that makes a meatload sammich on marbled rye, with red onion-onion rings, ketchup. I used it and a Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest to ease my hangover last weekend.

sounds delightful

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
11/12/10 6:21 p.m.
Pumpkin Escobar wrote: A good ol Reuben on marble rye, but I like slaw vs kraut...warm corned beef and cold slaw go great together

While I'm sure it's delicious, it's no longer a Reuben. There's a local restaurant that adds mustard

My list (in no order) - Reuben - Cold meatloaf on pumpernickle with a mild spicy mustard - Thanksgiving (turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry on a roll) - A fresh picked tomato (still warm from the sun) on white with a smear of mayo and a dash of pepper. - South St (Get a loaf of freshly baked italian bread, walk up the block to the cheese shop and get some fresh mozzarella, walk next door to the meat shop and get some genoa. Rip off a chunk of bread, add some genoa and some mozz)

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/12/10 6:30 p.m.

I make everything into a sandwich - drives the family nuts.

I can make pasta into a sandwich. The best is St Patricks day and I don't want to eat 5# of corned beef; so I make cabbage and rye bread sandwiches.

Once again; the family hates this.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/12/10 6:38 p.m.

^When I was younger, I used to make sandwiches with potato chips.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
11/12/10 6:50 p.m.
Pumpkin Escobar wrote: a slab of goetta

You must live close to cincy....... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, goetta.

Brian

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/12/10 7:08 p.m.

Thick sliced cold tomato, Hellman's mayonnaise, salt and pepper on white bread. Yeah it's simple but damn it's good.

Dan, onions on the sammich and then back to bed for frolic? Hope you brush your fangs first.

alex
alex SuperDork
11/12/10 7:09 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^When I was younger, I used to make sandwiches with potato chips.

You mean with the chips as 'bread' or the filling?

When I'm forced to eat terrible bland supermarket or c-store sandwiches out of desperation, I'll throw some flavorful chips in there for a little texture and a pop of flavor.

And if we're talking sandwiches, let us not forget the all-time King, the mighty hamburger! We've started running one as a special that's made of a house-ground blend of shortrib and brisket. It cooks like Kobe beef (almost instantaneously seared), and it's more flavorful. Absolute beef heaven.

Racedreamer
Racedreamer New Reader
11/12/10 7:26 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Thick sliced cold tomato, Hellman's mayonnaise, salt and pepper on white bread. Yeah it's simple but damn it's good. Dan, onions on the sammich and then back to bed for frolic? Hope you brush your fangs first.

They're even good soggy. As a kid mom would pack tomato samiches in the morning for 6 kids and head to the beach. by the time lunch rolled around they were nice and soggy.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/12/10 8:26 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

Also known as sangweedge by the (it might be a Toronto thing) Italian community

There was a thread about this awhile ago. I didn't realize that I started it

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/i-love-sandwiches/18808/page1/

My favourite

Toasted bun, good quality ham, chipotle peppers, and lots of avocado.

You can't believe how well it all goes together.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/12/10 8:36 p.m.

I made my all time favorite sandwich for supper tonight. Good hot Italian sausage cooked on the grill, sliced onions and red and orange bell peppers and portobello mushrooms, also cooked on the grill, big hoagy roll, toasted on the grill. Brings back old memories of Italian Catholic Festivals in Lowelville Ohio. Mmmmmm, happy dinner!!

pitbull113
pitbull113 New Reader
11/12/10 8:41 p.m.

rare roast beef,lettuce tomato and potato or macaroni salad on a hero/sub roll.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGbnqd1ilgjcNyap0VXD7t9esoKE4a4Xi7zLMOwnF1VepqudXO3k24aqCuiWaQLY