1 2
SCIONTCTUNER
SCIONTCTUNER New Reader
10/27/09 12:01 p.m.

The Italian carmaker expects to reintroduce Alfa Romeo to the US market and add many models that work in Europe. Many old US models will be phased out.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 12:20 p.m.

I thought that FIAT had already fazed out their old US models.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
10/27/09 12:29 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: I thought that FIAT had already fazed out their old US models.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 12:32 p.m.

Thank you, thank you very much. I will be here all week.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/27/09 12:37 p.m.

According to WSJ via jalopnik

http://jalopnik.com/5390953/report-the-not+so+all+new-chrysler-dodge-jeep-and-alfa-lineup?skyline=true&s=x

Killing:

Pt cruiser, avenger, sebring, Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Grand Caravan, Commander Compass, Patriot

Bringing: Mito, Milano (replacing 147), New Mid-Size Sedan, 8C Competizione

Redesigning 300

SirCharles
SirCharles None
10/27/09 12:46 p.m.

This will be interesting to see.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 1:17 p.m.

I don't get the Grand Caravan thing. It is as popular in Europe as it is here and they do seem to roll off the lots in the states.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/27/09 1:23 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I don't get the Grand Caravan thing. It is as popular in Europe as it is here and they do seem to roll off the lots in the states.

+1. At least in GA. Friend of a friend buys them at auction and flips them to thee messicans. Makes $1k - $2k each. Says he's sold 80 of them this year.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/27/09 1:30 p.m.

So this mayhaps will be for sale in the US?

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 1:34 p.m.

I can understand Alfa's or even Lancia's being sold as Chrysler's, but a Fiat 500? that sounds like they don't understand how Chrysler has tried to position it self as an upmarket car. I would think that they would sell the 500 as a Dodge or even keep the Fiat badge.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 1:35 p.m.

I miss my old 69 Fiat 124 Sport Spider.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/27/09 2:10 p.m.
captainzib wrote: So this mayhaps will be for sale in the US?

If you are just talking about the 500, Fiat has said it's the first car they will begin selling here.

No idea on whether or not the Abarth model will be available.

-Rob

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/27/09 2:18 p.m.

Nobody except the GSA is going to miss any of the other cars on the kill list, but canceling the Grand Caravan is just stupid.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/09 2:20 p.m.

I hope the abarth version makes it, but I doubt it will. We never seem to get the really good stuff from Japan or Europe. I wouldn't be able to buy one anyhow, but many others will want it.

Carson
Carson Dork
10/27/09 2:23 p.m.

They're keeping the Town and Country minivan and canceling the Grand Caravan. No need for a condensed company to sell the same vehicle under two different names.

Makes sense in my eyes.

I honestly don't know the major differences between the T&C and GC but maybe they'll offer different trim levels in the T&C to keep the options the same as a current GC.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/27/09 2:30 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: I can understand Alfa's or even Lancia's being sold as Chrysler's, but a Fiat 500? that sounds like they don't understand how Chrysler has tried to position it self as an upmarket car. I would think that they would sell the 500 as a Dodge or even keep the Fiat badge.

There is speculation in the rumor mill that dodge might be on the way out with the Ram becoming its own brand.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 2:39 p.m.

There is speculation in the rumor mill that dodge might be on the way out with the Ram becoming its own brand

That would kinda bother me. I grew up with a Dad that drove Dodges (first car I remember was a 66 Charger) My Mom always drove imports. (She used to have a big Healey)

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
10/27/09 2:42 p.m.
Carson wrote: I honestly don't know the major differences between the T&C and GC but maybe they'll offer different trim levels in the T&C to keep the options the same as a current GC.

Pretty much trim as you said, think Chevy truck vs. GMC. Dodges also try to appear "sportier" vs. the T&C "classy"

From a proud owner of a Caravan AND a Town & Country

Jake
Jake HalfDork
10/27/09 2:45 p.m.

In a related story, auto mechanics by the name of "Tony" are expected to return to work in droves later this year...

John Brown
10/27/09 3:19 p.m.

We've got an Alfredo that works here

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/09 3:20 p.m.

Chysler hasn't had much interesting in the FWD market for years except the ACR and a few turbo K-chassis's. Looks like the RWD is safe.

WilD
WilD Reader
10/27/09 3:29 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: I can understand Alfa's or even Lancia's being sold as Chrysler's,

I don't understand why anyone would try to sell anything as a Chrysler. Kill it with fire!

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/27/09 3:32 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I hope the abarth version makes it, but I doubt it will.

Unless something changed between now and when I made this post, it's already been confirmed the US will be getting a 500 Abarth:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/w00t1-we-be-getting-the-abarth-and-alfas/11685/page1/

Note I said "a 500 Abarth" because there were no details on whether or not there would be any changes to the Euro-spec 500 for the US market. I hope the USDM Abarth doesn't change much from the Euro-spec Abarth; it's getting rave reviews.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/27/09 3:33 p.m.
GlennS wrote: According to WSJ via jalopnik http://jalopnik.com/5390953/report-the-not+so+all+new-chrysler-dodge-jeep-and-alfa-lineup?skyline=true&s=x Killing: Pt cruiser, avenger, sebring, Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Grand Caravan, Commander Compass, Patriot Bringing: Mito, Milano (replacing 147), New Mid-Size Sedan, 8C Competizione Redesigning 300

Damn, they're killing the Avenger TWICE!

John Brown
10/27/09 3:34 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
GlennS wrote: According to WSJ via jalopnik http://jalopnik.com/5390953/report-the-not+so+all+new-chrysler-dodge-jeep-and-alfa-lineup?skyline=true&s=x Killing: Pt cruiser, avenger, sebring, Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Grand Caravan, Commander Compass, Patriot Bringing: Mito, Milano (replacing 147), New Mid-Size Sedan, 8C Competizione Redesigning 300
Damn, they're killing the Avenger TWICE!

I would if I had the chance.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OFmMNAeayOmf7OYxsIhXYZlw5Fksi9BXzz7dIIjhHFBlLjtW03ua66EOEjJ75ISN