1 2
GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/27/09 3:49 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
16vCorey wrote:
GlennS wrote: According to WSJ via jalopnik http://jalopnik.com/5390953/report-the-not+so+all+new-chrysler-dodge-jeep-and-alfa-lineup?skyline=true&s=x Killing: Pt cruiser, avenger, sebring, Caliber, Nitro, Avenger, Grand Caravan, Commander Compass, Patriot Bringing: Mito, Milano (replacing 147), New Mid-Size Sedan, 8C Competizione Redesigning 300
Damn, they're killing the Avenger TWICE!
I would if I had the chance.

Its like a zombie, you always kill it a second time just to be sure.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/27/09 4:04 p.m.

Let's just hope they bring Chrylser's quality up

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33494204

Check out Chrysler on this list.

Props to Ford, BTW

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
10/27/09 4:07 p.m.

May I pleeze kill the Caliber?

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 4:17 p.m.

Part of the problem of Fiat taking over Chrysler is that Fiat never had a rep for quality in this country. As Chrysler has slipped lower and lower in this reguard, I cannot see Fiat making any real money at this venture and in all likely hood closing the whole sh-bang down in a few years. Maybe keep some of the dealer network around to sell Fiats and Alfa's. But, Chrysler Corp is probably history.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 4:22 p.m.

Actually, I see them keeping the truck (the only thing they wanted and the reason for the new Ram brand), as well as Viper, Challenger and the world market engine. Everything else is crap.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 4:25 p.m.

They will probably keep Jeep also

to big a name to loose

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/27/09 4:33 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: Part of the problem of Fiat taking over Chrysler is that Fiat never had a rep for quality in this country. As Chrysler has slipped lower and lower in this reguard, I cannot see Fiat making any real money at this venture and in all likely hood closing the whole sh-bang down in a few years. Maybe keep some of the dealer network around to sell Fiats and Alfa's. But, Chrysler Corp is probably history.

I think the 500 is going to be a raging success.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 4:38 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: They will probably keep Jeep also to big a name to loose

But only two models. STR4ngler and the Fiftygrand Chairokee

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/27/09 4:50 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
Kia_racer wrote: They will probably keep Jeep also to big a name to loose
But only two models. STR4ngler and the Fiftygrand Chairokee

And? Beats having winners like the Compass and the Patriot in the lineup with 'em. The Grand Cherokee is getting a redesign at least.

gamby wrote:
Kia_racer wrote: Part of the problem of Fiat taking over Chrysler is that Fiat never had a rep for quality in this country. As Chrysler has slipped lower and lower in this reguard, I cannot see Fiat making any real money at this venture and in all likely hood closing the whole sh-bang down in a few years. Maybe keep some of the dealer network around to sell Fiats and Alfa's. But, Chrysler Corp is probably history.
I think the 500 is going to be a raging success.

Agreed. The 500 is aimed squarely at the 18-35 demographic, many of which have never even heard of Fiat, never mind its quaility issues. I've asked a few guys around my age what they thought about the 500 and the overwhelming response was, "Huh? What's a Fiat?"

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 5:03 p.m.

Just like the Mini. 90% of the US had no idea what they were until BMW brought over the new one.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/27/09 5:08 p.m.
Kia_racer wrote: Just like the Mini. 90% of the US had no idea what they were until BMW brought over the new one.

Exactly Now, a car w/ the appeal/funk factor of the Mini that costs a few grand less??? Home run.

Quality control isn't even an issue in that comparison, because 1st gen Minis were generally a nightmare in terms of little problems--owners just overlooked that because of the fun factor. (we can excuse it in a German product--can we in an American/Italian product???)

I remember an R&T ownership survey of the Mini that said buying one out of warranty was essentially crazy. Yet, the Mini was a success. I hope the 500 can pull the same thing off. I think they will--especially if an Abarth version comes.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
10/28/09 11:09 p.m.

Fiat, please, please please just don't take away the few awesome machines that Chrysler manages to squeeze out.

The Challenger 1320, for example. It probably won't enter production, but we need to let this kind of stuff happen still.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
10/28/09 11:28 p.m.

The talk about converting the Wrangler into an independent suspension, undie-wetting, mall-crawling RAV-4 clone makes me want to spew

Thought for the day

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LwHKrSxm6alwodnL6wFOLXZ7K5sNvXSliH3OqCASSEypPkmj98ASZtIRNTkyG6IA