1 2 3
ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/5/14 11:48 a.m.

What do u guys think would be a better first car? The BMW e10 1976 2002, e28 1986 535i or the e30 1989 325is. What do u guys think is better?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/5/14 11:48 a.m.

First car for what?

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/5/14 11:56 a.m.
mndsm wrote: First car for what?

My first car. Which one do u think would be better for my first car?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/5/14 11:57 a.m.

I think the best first car is the one that is cheap to insure, reliable, and doesn't make you cry blood when you wreck it, because there's an 83% chance you will wreck it.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/5/14 11:58 a.m.

E30 out of that list, no doubt.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/14 12:04 p.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote:
My first car. Which one do u think would be better for my first car?

the 325is, its newer and likely to be in better shape, parts availability is potentially better and it has a secondary life as a spec racer once you've used up the drivetrain or had some mild wrecks in it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/14 12:12 p.m.

If by 76 2002 you mean 2005 Cobalt, then yes. That one.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/5/14 12:14 p.m.

I thought he said mid 90's corolla. Out of that list, I'd go with the e30, you're going to want something cheap to repair, at the bottom of the depreciation curve, and easy to work on with parts available, because no matter how good you think you are, you're gonna berkeley that car up somehow. Everyone does.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/5/14 12:25 p.m.

I think his point was what are you going to be doing with this car? Is it your daily "I must get to work every day or lose my job" car, an autox car, just a car you'll drive sometimes but not really need to rely on, have ability to fix, have a budget, etc...??

The newest of those cars you posted is 25 years old, the oldest being nearly 40. Not sure you'd want to rely on a car that old if it's a must run. Corolla, Civic may be a better choice. If I had to pick one of yours, I'd go with the nicest example of the two "newer" ones you listed....very likely the E30.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/5/14 12:28 p.m.
ToxicTurtl3 wrote: BMW e10 1976 2002, e28 1986 535i or the e30 1989 325is

If that's your shopping list then it sounds like you are not really looking for a first car that's safe, reliable, comfortable and cheap to own -- which is what we usually recommend for new drivers.

Personally, I would want my kid's first car to have good MPG, cold A/C, ABS, airbags, and a good safety rating. On the other hand, my first car was a $250 death trap, so I've seen this one from both sides.

If you are looking for a classic car with character and street cred that will be a fantastic platform for learning to wrench on, repair and restore, go with the 2002. However the 2002 is also probably the least safe, least comfortable and least reliable option.

The 325is will be the fastest and best handling car of that bunch. A bone-stock 325is will be plenty fun and instructive when driven at an autocross or track day with the BMW club. It's just a fantastic platform for learning the basics of performance driving. It's also the most likely car to encourage you take chances on the street and wreck it. Trust me, I've done it more than once

I also like the 535i choice. A solid E28 will have more room for your friends and will be less likely to encourage you to drive like a hoon.

The most important part of choosing any older BMW though is to make sure you're buying a good car. Find a car in good shape that's driven often, whose owner has spent the money to maintain it and the receipts to prove it. Buying a neglected car because it's really cheap may seem like a good idea at first, but trust me, basketcase old BMWs aren't worth the heartache.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/5/14 12:34 p.m.

The e30 or the e28, but either way find the best one you can afford - it's always cheaper in the long run to buy a car after someone else has made all the necessary repairs. The e10 is a sweet little car but it's not going to have the power or features of the newer BMWs.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/5/14 1:10 p.m.

Toyota Corolla or Cobalt gets my vote out of everything mentioned here.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
8/5/14 1:16 p.m.

I got a 1988 e30 325 convertible for my 16th birthday and I proceeded to drive it 30 miles down I95 to and from school every day. The roof leaked and it got bad mileage and I loved it to death. You won't really know that it takes more work than a newer car because you won't have had a newer car.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/5/14 1:54 p.m.

Used rental beast is the best first car to get.

Safe and reliable. Second car once your initial crash is done can be a fun one.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/5/14 2:10 p.m.

Was I the only one who didn't crash their first car? Granted, my dad crashed my first car. But still.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/14 2:23 p.m.
mtn wrote: Was I the only one who didn't crash their first car? Granted, my dad crashed my first car. But still.

nope, i've still got mine 18 years later

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/5/14 2:25 p.m.

I didn't crash my first car either, someone did hit me in my step mom's Lincoln though a week after I got my license

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/5/14 2:45 p.m.

1st car - I crashed it
2nd car - I crashed it then my brother crashed it
3rd car - I crashed it
4th car - Was crashed from behind at a light
5th car - I crashed it
8th car - Sold it to my brother who crashed it

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/14 3:01 p.m.

I technically didn't crash my first car, just my second (still had the first, it was broken, which is why I was driving the other turbo-dodge I had and not the CSX).

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
8/5/14 3:14 p.m.

I crashed both of my first cars. Only one was my fault, though.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/5/14 3:18 p.m.
nderwater wrote: 1st car - I crashed it 2nd car - I crashed it then my brother crashed it 3rd car - I crashed it 4th car - Was crashed from behind at a light 5th car - I crashed it 8th car - Sold it to my brother who crashed it

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/5/14 3:20 p.m.
mtn wrote: Was I the only one who didn't crash their first car? Granted, my dad crashed my first car. But still.

I have never wrecked a car. Someone did wreck me once.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
8/5/14 3:45 p.m.

I was thinking the 2002 Becuase it's a really cool car I didn't know that it was uncomfortable though. The car I end up getting would be used to just get me from school and back every day and probably out with friends every once in a while. The 535i would be good for that cuz it's a 4-door. The 325is just looks fun to drive . There's one other car that I just recently saw when it drove past me, it's the 535is. I have no clue what year but why would be better to drive as a daily driver, the 535i or 535is?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/14 3:51 p.m.

Go for whatever car you think is cool and can afford.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/5/14 3:53 p.m.

I'd go with the cheapest out of those in good daily driving condition.

I suspect it won't be the E30, as they're getting absurdly expensive. I don't know that i'd say they're at the bottom of their depreciation curve. They aren't getting cheaper, that's for sure, but that's been the case for a couple years now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ePLM1EGZNM01igo6heo62kLxaveeHBTd3os2hqOye9qJ8TJ7JuXSSuW3JixV9nvE