preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/22 6:16 a.m.

Don't forget the proper training:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/16/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

Much like with cars, I'd worry less about the model on a used truck, and look at the specific one in question. Find a good local used fork truck dealer that will work with you to fit your needs and budget.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 8:32 a.m.

Interesting this old thread popped up. I'm going to look at a Clark 3000 pound lift this afternoon for the office. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/16/22 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I'm sorry but I'll need more information to be helpful. Clark is either the best or the worst forklift out there depends on the model. The ones made in Battlecreek Michigan are absolutely the best.  The ones made in Kentucky are the worst Those made in Korea aren't very durable or cheap to own. Then just before the end Clark was buying whatever they could get cheap.  
    It's a classic story at Harvard on how to take the industry leader and destroy it.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Holy smokes. That was hilarious. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 8:40 a.m.

I ended up buying a Cat. Like most cats, it spends most of its time sleeping but it sure is handy when it comes to getting 2000 pounds out of the back of a freight truck. 

20220126_091730.jpg

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/31/23 6:09 a.m.

In reply to skipandtry :

Especially with regard  to used.  When I was selling to national and major accounts  some used forklifts as much as 40 years old would be excellent . Needing little more than  cosmetic work to make them productive again in less demanding locations.  ( such as occasional use). 
     Others would come in as pure junk worthy of only being scraped. The driver, the service and the application determined which was which.  
  Most forklifts are cushion tire ( solid rubber)  traction on anything other than a smooth surface is terrible. For outdoor use you'll want pneumatic tires.  Then there are battery and Lp. 
     Heavy use of LP forklifts indoors tends to give everyone symptoms of Carbon monoxide  poisoning symptoms.  Rare or occasional brief use  can be tolerated.   
     Battery powered forklifts tend to need less servicing and longer life.  
   Never get a used forklift with any frame or structural damage.  Tires splayed out, dents, damage,  or cracks in anything other than sheet metal is a warning of abuse.   Age has little to do with it.  5 years old and they should be scrapped. One company used to regularly replace the cast iron counterweight.  Damaged because drivers used to use a structural building post as the brake in backing rather than bothering to turn their head and look. They also used to ram the load in a line with a weight on the throttle gradually moving the whole conveyor slowly forward while they got off and played cards. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LqVbrOsa3lA8FlIuyRzIPTdpYzOQkrdTsJO6J0BOdQDVhjCfbKiO4NF4KdFMlNrR