triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
5/17/15 7:43 p.m.

On Friday, I received a letter from Hyundai that "due to numerous complaints of road noise", they would replace the Hankooks on my 2015 Genesis with Michelins for free. The problem, if there is one, is the Hankooks are speed rated for 150mph and the Michelins are rated at 130mph. Here's the rub. Hyundai has stated that due to the speed ratings of the Michelins they would have to change the speed limiter on the computer. Not sure I want to do that. Any thoughts on this? I've got almost 18,000 miles on the tires and I rotate them every other oil change.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
5/17/15 10:00 p.m.

Have you ever gone over 130mph in your car? My guess is if you ever need to go over 130, it will be worth it to remove the limiter. In the meantime, enjoy the tires.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/17/15 10:46 p.m.

I admire Hyundai even more for this. Offering to replace tires free of charge due to customer complaints is very exceptional. Of course you are free to not have them replaced and keep your limiter where it is, which is exactly what I would do. But most people who buy new cars are not worried about speed limiters.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/18/15 6:24 a.m.

assuming you could run the car at the Texas Mile … what realistic top speed could you get ? and when (other than on track, assuming you plan to track it) would 130 mph not be enough speed for anything you're going to do ?

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
5/18/15 6:49 a.m.

Thanks for all the good comments. I've would never even come close to those types of speeds as I believe my top speed so far has been 85. To be honest I've not had an issue with the road noise or any other problems with the tires. I guess as was more concerned what long term affects if any would come of this. I'm thinking probably nothing. But yes I was pleasantly surprised to receive this offer from Hyundai.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/18/15 8:23 a.m.

I'd keep the hankooks. Neve know when you may need to make a run for it!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/15 9:40 a.m.

ah yes.. tyre noise.. the thing you hear when new cars are so dead silent

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
5/18/15 3:55 p.m.

Go pick up the new tires in a different vehicle? They probably won't let you, but it's worth asking.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/18/15 4:16 p.m.

Hyundai, 150mph... what?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/18/15 5:16 p.m.

Most road noise is caused by the road surface.

Just drive on new then old asphalt.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/15 11:10 a.m.

Just put the car on bloxks and bring them the rims and the registration or go in and see if they will give you the tires (with your registration in hand). OR pay a little more (10$-15$ per tire) and get ones that are speed rated the same. Even if it costs you $100 more I would get a set of new Michelins for $100.

1300zuk
1300zuk New Reader
5/19/15 8:56 p.m.

Just ask your dealer nicely if they won't reflash it. It's also highly likely your dealer will forget to reflash it since the tire tech is not usually the guy with the Scan tool.

This is what I would do, take it in for tires, depin the obd 2 port so it doesn't have can communication. See if they notice. Worst case is you won't get a speeding ticket over 130.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xv0kgX7qYh9RwpeIe1PYIxD9dMvLc0NQw0Uus3hnUgQ1VsrzCO4EVRA0K7RQ2wYt