1 2 3 4 5 6
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/26/12 1:01 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
scardeal wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: don't ask the people in the thinkin' parts of LA to fund it.
Oxymoron right there.
I'm from Louisiana...
My fiance is from Louisiana too. Being in Alabama I have to make jokes about other states to make me feel a little better about AL.

I think that's just a generic Southern thing. Constantly sticking each other in the ribs about it. When I moved from NC to MS, my old friends asked me how it was..I told them I'd been looking for girls from AL on purpose.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/12 1:28 p.m.

This whole thing just pisses me off. I think I am going to go do a big smokey burnout and see if I feel better.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/26/12 1:58 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: *snip* for readers sake. My fiance is from Louisiana too. Being in Alabama I have to make jokes about other states to make me feel a little better about AL.
I think that's just a generic Southern thing. Constantly sticking each other in the ribs about it. When I moved from NC to MS, my old friends asked me how it was..I told them I'd been looking for girls from AL *on purpose*.

I'm comfortable in Louisiana's superiority to every other state. I don't feel the need to put all 49 lesser states down to feel comfortable about being from Louisiana.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/26/12 1:59 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: This whole thing just pisses me off. I think I am going to go do a big smokey burnout and see if I feel better.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/26/12 4:31 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
scardeal wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: don't ask the people in the thinkin' parts of LA to fund it.
Oxymoron right there.
I'm from Louisiana...
My fiance is from Louisiana too. Being in Alabama I have to make jokes about other states to make me feel a little better about AL.

Thank dog for Mississippi.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/26/12 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

My wife is from Mississippi. Go to any college in MS and you will be surrounded by hot chicks everywhere you turn. That is where I got mine. But...do not under any circumstances expect this to happen at a Mississippi Popeye's or K-Mart.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/26/12 4:43 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: My wife is from Mississippi. Go to any college in MS and you will be surrounded by hot chicks everywhere you turn. That is where I got mine. But...do not under any circumstances expect this to happen at a Mississippi Popeye's or K-Mart.

SC is the same way: go to Clemson, USC, or College of Charleston, and there are hotties everywhere.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
6/26/12 4:51 p.m.

I'm from Alabama, but immigrated to Texas. Much better here.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
6/26/12 5:20 p.m.
rotard wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: My wife is from Mississippi. Go to any college in MS and you will be surrounded by hot chicks everywhere you turn. That is where I got mine. But...do not under any circumstances expect this to happen at a Mississippi Popeye's or K-Mart.
SC is the same way: go to Clemson, USC, or College of Charleston, and there are hotties everywhere.

Every state has their "hot chick" college, their "party" college, and their "dork" college(except Mississippi).

rotard
rotard Dork
6/26/12 5:40 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
rotard wrote:
Every state has their "hot chick" college, their "party" college, and their "dork" college(except Mississippi).

Pretty much every college here is "hot chick" college.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/12 7:24 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: So America is making our children dumb as well as turning them into Bob Costas. Fantastic.

Considering that church attendance is down all across the world except for the US... Somebody is either doing something right or wrong (depending on your perspective)

Personally, I think religion has it's place. However, I believe it has it's place for everyone individually. Belief is a deeply personal thing, I wish people would keep it that way

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
6/26/12 11:11 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Personally, I think religion has it's place.

Absolutely, it is community, and it TECHNICALLY is based (in almost all forms) on treating others well. Not all of it mind you, but most of it.

I'm practically not-catholic, and I don't know what I believe in anymore. I do think about it quite a bit though. I know I have 100% "faith" in science though (including evolution), so take that for what it's worth.

friedgreencorrado
6/27/12 1:29 a.m.
scardeal wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: *snip* for readers sake. My fiance is from Louisiana too. Being in Alabama I have to make jokes about other states to make me feel a little better about AL.
I think that's just a generic Southern thing. Constantly sticking each other in the ribs about it. When I moved from NC to MS, my old friends asked me how it was..I told them I'd been looking for girls from AL *on purpose*.
I'm comfortable in Louisiana's superiority to every other state. I don't feel the need to put all 49 lesser states down to feel comfortable about being from Louisiana.

My parents (father, "was", mother "is") from Louisiana. I still have an affection for the July 4 blessing of the Shrimp Fleet in Lake Arthur, Mardi Gras in New Iberia (my uncle's place before he died overseas), and a bunch of other things that I can't remember right now.

My best memories are hunting waterfowl at Lacassine as a kid. My dad & uncle decided a kid needed something bigger than a .410 in order to learn respect for a gun.."Santa" brought me a 20ga Remington 870 one year. Duck & goose for Christmas dinner 12 mos. later!

"Sportsman's Paradise"...yeah, I believe it. At least, it was true when I was a kid..

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/27/12 7:45 a.m.

Religion at its base, a platform to teach right and wrong with fictional stories, at some point became so ingrained the fiction was no longer seen as fiction and the powers that control the message and subsequently the people want to keep it that way so they can keep the power.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
6/27/12 8:33 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I disagree. When confronted by evidence that contradicts "Intelligent Design", there's not much of a change in the claims of the people who support the hypothesis, even when it comes from someone who actually shares their belief in god/s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg&feature=player_embedded

Very good video.

The biggest thing I took away is that I do not see a reason for science and religion to be at odds with each other. It is possible to be highly scientific and devoutly religious at the same time.

Also, very interesting to see him respond to some of the major ID critiques of evolution (e.g. Irreducibly complex systems, and transitional species). He points out several instances where evolutionary theorists have said, "If evolutionary theory is correct, this will have to be this way. If it isn't, our theory is wrong," (like the human/ape chromosome thing) and later findings show it to be correct.

I also loved, "Which proves above all else that paleontologists will argue over anything."

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
6/27/12 9:53 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to MadScientistMatt: Well, with Noah's Ark, the sediment and fossil records don't support the whole worldwide flood thing. If you want to argue it was a localized flood or something of that nature, you might be right, but that would suggest the bible isn't literal. If you want to argue that parts of the bible are metaphorical, well, great.

A literal reading of the original text, from what I've heard, could either go with something along the lines of "The water was 20 feet over the tops of the mountains, and all the earth was covered" or "The water was 20 feet over the tops of the ziggerauts (temples in the old Middle East) and all the ground was covered." The latter version could fit either a local or global flood. And besides which, it's kind of hard to tell just how far the flood goes on when you're stuck on a boat in the middle of the pouring rain.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
6/28/12 4:20 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to mad_machine: Buddhist? Sweet. They don't have those here in Alabama. It sounds like a great religion, though. Seriously. If Jesus was alive today, he'd probably be a buddhist.

I know at least one Buddhist quite well. When he converted (lapsed Catholic to Buddhist), I just had a hard time understanding why or how he’d adopt that as a religion, knowing he’s probably setting himself up for a lifetime of proselytizing from well-meaning Christian busybodies/fundamentalists. Still kind of do, but then again I am a flying-under-the-radar atheist/agnostic/deist. I’d just prefer to be left alone, so I don’t make a big deal out of it- probably about like he does.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/28/12 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Jake:

I have friends who I know don't really have any interest in religion. Call them atheist, agnostic or whatever. They lie and say they are trying to decide on a church, say they've been away on the weekends, whatever excuse they can think of. What they won't say is that they have no interest in going to church. You can't say that here. They'd be ostracized. And they'd be proselytized to relentlessly. Probably in that order.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
6/28/12 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Jake:

Just checked your profile and saw that you are in Warrior. So you know.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/28/12 4:49 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Jake: I have friends who I know don't really have any interest in religion. Call them atheist, agnostic or whatever. They lie and say they are trying to decide on a church, say they've been away on the weekends, whatever excuse they can think of. What they won't say is that they have no interest in going to church. You can't say that here. They'd be ostracized. And they'd be proselytized to relentlessly. Probably in that order.

True story at least with bit older people in Alabama. My age group doesn't seem to care much.

friedgreencorrado
6/28/12 4:58 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Jake: I have friends who I know don't really have any interest in religion. Call them atheist, agnostic or whatever. They lie and say they are trying to decide on a church, say they've been away on the weekends, whatever excuse they can think of. What they won't say is that they have no interest in going to church. You can't say that here. They'd be ostracized. And they'd be proselytized to relentlessly. Probably in that order.

IRL, another atheist once asked me if I was "out". I told him, "Only in hipster neighborhoods." (Atlanta Metro)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/12 10:48 p.m.

It's a 29 page booklet published in 1989, not a science textbook.

If someone is using this as a science textbook, they have a much bigger problem. They might want to consider something newer than 23 years old, and a little bigger than a comic book.

I've been reviewing public school science textbooks annually for over 20 years. There are much bigger issues in almost all of them.

Don't kid yourselves. They ALL have agendas and misinformation in them. Just a matter of whose bias you want to agree with.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/28/12 10:59 p.m.

There is no religion called "Fundamentalism".

It is a phrase that was associated with a Protestant movement from the early 1900's that doesn't describe any real group of beliefs today. It might mean strict adherence to theological tenets of Islam, Hindu, or some Protestant Christian faiths.

Maybe they should choose their words more carefully.

friedgreencorrado
6/29/12 2:25 a.m.
SVreX wrote: There is no religion called "Fundamentalism". It is a phrase that was associated with a Protestant movement from the early 1900's that doesn't describe any real group of beliefs today. It might mean strict adherence to theological tenets of Islam, Hindu, or some Protestant Christian faiths. Maybe they should choose their words more carefully.

Please realize that many of us who do not believe in the "supernatural" often use the term "Fundamentalist" in an attempt to respect our friends who are Christian/Muslim/whatever else.

It is fully evident that most theists don't act like the morons from Westboro Baptist at a funeral, or Suicide Bomber Central at the World Trade Center, or Aum Shinrikyo in the Tokyo subway.

Yeah, most religious people don't do stuff like that..but some people do. That's why there needs to be a word to describe the freaks that so many of you say are misrepresenting your various traditions, so that people like me can remember not to paint you all with the same brush. For me, the word "fundamentalist" works. YMMV.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
6/29/12 5:56 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Yeah, most religious people don't do stuff like that..but some people *do*. That's why there needs to be a word to describe the freaks that so many of you say are misrepresenting your various traditions, so that people like me can remember not to paint you all with the same brush. For me, the word "fundamentalist" works. YMMV.

The people you listed I would call "extremists". They really really really do not represent the majority.

But there are also those people who are maybe not the normal for their group, but are within no more than 2 standard deviations. People like, who mentioned above, will ostracize and vehemently try to convert someone who doesn't agree with them. We need a word for them too, which "fundamentalists" works okay for.

A lot of them are good people, they just... I don't know... lack the imagination to realize that there might be a way other than their own and that it is possible to be a good person without holding the exact same creed they do.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qaa7mMeVshanvW8PfvKVB9BihZjjNfc8y84UDwa3ykBZOK6pxAZkwFuyOvth4mFY