1 ... 3 4 5 6
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/29/12 9:04 a.m.
rotard wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: My wife is from Mississippi. Go to any college in MS and you will be surrounded by hot chicks everywhere you turn. That is where I got mine. But...do not under any circumstances expect this to happen at a Mississippi Popeye's or K-Mart.
SC is the same way: go to Clemson, USC, or College of Charleston, and there are hotties everywhere.

Hot chicks are nice. But not the only criteria to judge a state, a college etc by.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/29/12 9:17 a.m.

"Tulsa, Oklahoma, due to a large presence of Christian beliefs and establishments (such as Oral Roberts University) and its symbolic Prayer Tower. It is also one of the few urban areas in the United States where over 60% of the population attends church."

Definitely not something talked about other than with friends who think the same.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/29/12 9:22 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
rotard wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: My wife is from Mississippi. Go to any college in MS and you will be surrounded by hot chicks everywhere you turn. That is where I got mine. But...do not under any circumstances expect this to happen at a Mississippi Popeye's or K-Mart.
SC is the same way: go to Clemson, USC, or College of Charleston, and there are hotties everywhere.
Hot chicks are nice. But not the only criteria to judge a state, a college etc by.

Hey, I lived in Orangeburg for awhile....never again, haha.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/29/12 11:02 a.m.

In reply to rotard:

You mean 'Ernchberg.'

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
6/29/12 3:57 p.m.
rotard wrote: Hey, I lived in Orangeburg for awhile....never again, haha.

Hey, I grew up in Orangeburg. Only time I go back is visit the cemetery and stoke up on some Earl Dukes BBQ.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/12 7:08 p.m.
Jake wrote:
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to mad_machine: Buddhist? Sweet. They don't have those here in Alabama. It sounds like a great religion, though. Seriously. If Jesus was alive today, he'd probably be a buddhist.
I know at least one Buddhist quite well. When he converted (lapsed Catholic to Buddhist), I just had a hard time understanding why or how he’d adopt that as a religion, knowing he’s probably setting himself up for a lifetime of proselytizing from well-meaning Christian busybodies/fundamentalists. Still kind of do, but then again I am a flying-under-the-radar atheist/agnostic/deist. I’d just prefer to be left alone, so I don’t make a big deal out of it- probably about like he does.

It's amazing how many christians from all walks of life think I made a big mistake. I think if I had gone to any other christian denomination, they would not have bothered me at all.

Funny thing is.. one of my friends is a Muslim. Not an Iman, but pretty high up in the heiracy of his Mosque.. he was totally cool with it, as were my Jewish friends

rotard
rotard Dork
6/30/12 9:12 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Hey, I grew up in Orangeburg. Only time I go back is visit the cemetery and stoke up on some Earl Dukes BBQ.

The upstate is sooo much better. I'm not just saying that BC I'm from Clemson, either.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/30/12 10:06 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Please realize that many of us who do not believe in the "supernatural" often use the term "Fundamentalist" in an attempt to respect our friends who are Christian/Muslim/whatever else. It is fully evident that most theists don't act like the morons from Westboro Baptist at a funeral, or Suicide Bomber Central at the World Trade Center, or Aum Shinrikyo in the Tokyo subway. Yeah, most religious people don't do stuff like that..but some people *do*. That's why there needs to be a word to describe the freaks that so many of you say are misrepresenting your various traditions, so that people like me can remember not to paint you all with the same brush. For me, the word "fundamentalist" works. YMMV.

I accept that you may be trying to be respectful, but I guess I am trying to express that it isn't working.

Regardless of how it may or may not be intended, it always sounds like a synonym for "Christian Wackos".

I appreciate your effort, but may I suggest that the label is completely unnecessary?

This thread would have worked just fine if it was titled, "These people are nuts", or "Wow".

Instead, the need to label comes across as offensive in both the article and this thread. The article clearly links the words "fundamentalist" and "Christian", as well as mocking the publisher (identified as "Christian"), the state that chose to utilize the material, and even broader groups (searches for this article and related information will easily reveal titles like "Home Fooled", etc.

If I called people "colored", or "negro" I'd be called out on it, and rightfully so.

There is no need to lump together people who you do not understand.

I am not a fundamentalist, nor a religious man (which is something that very few people around here have the slightest bit of comprehension of). I am a Christian, and I don't usually vote Republican. I agree with most of what that article is trying to say, but strongly disagree with the manner in which they have chosen to say it.

Oh, and I like beer.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/30/12 11:15 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:

Never had any Earl Duke's, but Shealey's in Batesburg has some mighty fine vinegar pepper based. In Columbia, Maurice Bessinger is probably the most racist SOB on the planet but he do know his mustard based BBQ.

Don't none of y'all come around here with that ketchup and brown sugar based crap, real men don't use cake frosting on pork.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/30/12 12:49 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Don't none of y'all come around here with that ketchup and brown sugar based crap, real men don't use cake frosting on pork.

This old North Carolina boy is soooo stealing that from you.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
6/30/12 8:42 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Instead, the need to label comes across as offensive in both the article and this thread. The article clearly links the words "fundamentalist" and "Christian", as well as mocking the publisher (identified as "Christian"), the state that chose to utilize the material, and even broader groups (searches for this article and related information will easily reveal titles like "Home Fooled", etc. If I called people "colored", or "negro" I'd be called out on it, and rightfully so. There is no need to lump together people who you do not understand.

Isn't the point of labeling these people as something like "fundamentalist" a way of differentiating them from people, like yourself, who not so forceful with your beliefs? "Colored" or "negro" apply to all black people. "Fundamentalist" does not apply to all Christians. It's more like "ghetto", or "thug".

How would you make it clear that you are differentiating the actions of more extreme (but not bat-E36 M3 wacko bomber crazy) religious people from more calm ones who are less convinced that everyone needs to believe exactly what they do?

Oh, and I like beer.

Yes. This. Here.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
6/30/12 8:43 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Don't none of y'all come around here with that ketchup and brown sugar based crap, real men don't use cake frosting on pork.
This old North Carolina boy is soooo stealing that from you.

This one too

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
6/30/12 10:52 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: In reply to Jake: Just checked your profile and saw that you are in Warrior. So you know.

I live in Hueytown so I also know all about it.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/6/12 8:49 a.m.

When you walk into the Creation Museum, one of the first things you see is an exhibit of a doe-eyed human child crouched next to a velociraptor dinosaur. The two seem not at all surprised that their epochs have collided. Homo sapiens and velociraptors missed each other by a good 65 million years, according to most scientists, but in the world of the Creation Museum, humans and dinosaurs were created on the same day 6,000 years ago, coexisting peacefully in the Garden of Eden. A thousand years later, a 600-year-old man ushered them onto Noah's ark.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/6/12 1:07 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
7/6/12 1:22 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: And they strike again - Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

It's all a Joo conthpircy, I tells ya! --Daffy Duck

mad_machine
7/6/12 5:52 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: And they strike again - Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

you know.. I can be a smart ass... but honestly, I am speechless

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
7/6/12 5:59 p.m.

We all know what they meant. Makes you wonder why they didn't just write Christian into the Constitution.

mad_machine
7/6/12 6:05 p.m.

in many ways our founding fathers were more wise than we give them credit for...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
7/6/12 6:11 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: in many ways our founding fathers were more wise than we give them credit for...

Wait, you're not saying they...

Those sneaky guys!

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
7/6/12 6:46 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: So America is making our children dumb as well as turning them into Bob Costas. Fantastic.
Considering that church attendance is down all across the world except for the US... Somebody is either doing something right or wrong (depending on your perspective) Personally, I think religion has it's place. However, I believe it has it's place for everyone individually. Belief is a deeply personal thing, I wish people would keep it that way

This! I'm perfectly fine with religious people as long as you keep it out of my face, out of my laws, and absolutely do not try to persecute other religions because yours is the "chosen one" Edit: And people who lack religion

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/6/12 7:08 p.m.
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) wrote: This! I'm perfectly fine with religious people as long as you keep it out of my face, out of my laws, and absolutely do not try to persecute other religions because yours is the "chosen one" Edit: And people who lack religion

Right there with you.

Ancient crowd control FTW!!!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/6/12 7:11 p.m.

Closed minded mouth breathers are found in every walk of life, unfortunately.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/6/12 7:15 p.m.

Lots of interesting thoughts here. Many folks here appear very jaded by Christians. Not sure exactly why. Sure, there are well publicized dinosaur silliness and the westboro nonsense, but it's all very extreme.

Fundamentalism has nothing to do with being extreme.

Fundamentalist means you adhere to the fundamentals. Meaning, as far as Christianity goes, believing the Bible, in that it's sufficiency and it's inerrancy.

I do. So I am, technically, a fundamentalist.

I do not believe all gay people will automatically burn in hell.

I don't understand how the dinosaurs worked into things (nor do I see why many people try to use dinosaurs to disprove religion).

I do not often vote republican.

I do not believe that our laws should outlaw sins.

I'm even relatively certain that I agree with a lot of you in a lot of big areas.

Let's stay friendly with one another, eh?

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
7/6/12 7:28 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Lots of interesting thoughts here. Many folks here appear very jaded by Christians. Not sure exactly why. Sure, there are well publicized dinosaur silliness and the westboro nonsense, but it's all very extreme. Fundamentalism has nothing to do with being extreme. Fundamentalist means you adhere to the fundamentals. Meaning, as far as Christianity goes, believing the Bible, in that it's sufficiency and it's inerrancy. I do. So I am, technically, a fundamentalist. I do not believe all gay people will automatically burn in hell. I don't understand how the dinosaurs worked into things (nor do I see why many people try to use dinosaurs to disprove religion). I do not often vote republican. I do not believe that our laws should outlaw sins. I'm even relatively certain that I agree with a lot of you in a lot of big areas. Let's stay friendly with one another, eh?

You are doing it right!

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b3iM0iGA9AfG1zcbZfNklWntYnO61gvKVbeXUkP7QpWKatC5DhsAk7VLTVM9UwwA