1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/22/24 8:48 p.m.
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/22/24 9:11 p.m.

There is the Great Lakes big rig nationals in northern Michigan in spring. 1320video has been there a few times.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/24 10:09 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

There is the Great Lakes big rig nationals in northern Michigan in spring. 1320video has been there a few times.

That's what he posted!

Rodeo du Camion in Notre Dame du Nord in Quebec is the big one here with them racing up the hill in town every year. It's a giant party all weekend to go along with it, the rest of the year there is pretty much nothing there. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/24 10:40 p.m.

It's 100% ok to think this is cool and fine and the guys rolling coal should have their trucks crushed by the Feds. 

Change my view!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/24 1:09 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Motorsports aren't subject to emissions compliance.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/23/24 6:12 a.m.

I've seen enough videos from truck and tractor pulls where they toss engine parts (or in some cases the entire engine) out through the hood, so I'd be a little leery of spectating that close to the track.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/23/24 6:14 a.m.

These trucks also may be meeting the emissions standards for when they were produced.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/24 8:57 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I've seen enough videos from truck and tractor pulls where they toss engine parts (or in some cases the entire engine) out through the hood, so I'd be a little leery of spectating that close to the track.

Somewhere in that video (it's a long video, I didn't watch all of it) a turbo or two comes apart.  I don't know where it was found, but the mangled turbine wheel was held up for the camera.  One can imagine it's a fairly violent failure.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/24 9:00 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

It's 100% ok to think this is cool and fine and the guys rolling coal should have their trucks crushed by the Feds. 

Change my view!

I don't honestly think you can take this view unless you are equally willing to crush all the Miatas and other zippy little brap-mobiles with non-compliant exhaust mods.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/23/24 9:01 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

That and the fact that you would get absolutely covered in black soot.  No thanks.

Impressive machines though.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/23/24 9:06 a.m.

The crowd is WAY too close to all that violence.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/23/24 9:07 a.m.

Man that goes hard.

Do you think you could buy/build something similar for $2000? wink

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/24 9:10 a.m.

It's not my sort of racing, but it's still kind of cool to see. That takes some monster horsepower and torque numbers. But I am baffled by the amount of them blowing black smoke the whole way down, since that's horsepower you can see but can't use. Obviously when spooling the turbo at the line, you should see some smoke, but smoking the whole way is just bad tuning. I also find it interesting when 1320Video hops in to ride in some and there's like 5 people in the cab, including a few riding in the sleeper bunk, with no one belted in or wearing helmets.

7/23/24 9:23 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I wonder if running that rich is for temperature control.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/24 9:30 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

That is an interesting point, maybe to keep EGTs down? Or they're just trying to add to the spectacle?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/23/24 9:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

Change my view!

I don't honestly think you can take this view unless you are equally willing to crush all the Miatas and other zippy little brap-mobiles with non-compliant exhaust mods.

That would be logically consistent. But it also ignores that diesels emit a ton more bad stuff than gasoline engines. There are valid reasons why regulators have focused more of their penalties on diesel emissions violations than gasoline.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/24 9:38 a.m.
STM317 said:
1988RedT2 said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

Change my view!

That would be logically consistent. But it also ignores that diesels emit a ton more bad stuff than gasoline engines. There are valid reasons why regulators have focused more of their penalties on diesel emissions violations than gasoline.

True enough if you take it on a case-by-case basis, but which is more prevalent?  It's probably going to vary from region to region, but I'd argue that brap-mobiles outnumber coal rollers.  My point really is that people who live in glass houses ought not to throw stones.

7/23/24 9:49 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/24 10:12 a.m.

Trying to keep this thread from completely falling apart, man, some of those trucks make some wacky noises when they're spooling the turbos on the line. They sound like ray guns. 

7/23/24 10:14 a.m.

I know. The power is impressive. I'd like to see that in person.

Edit: I would like to know how they get them to shift that fast.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/24 10:15 a.m.
NickD said:

It's not my sort of racing, but it's still kind of cool to see. That takes some monster horsepower and torque numbers. But I am baffled by the amount of them blowing black smoke the whole way down, since that's horsepower you can see but can't use. Obviously when spooling the turbo at the line, you should see some smoke, but smoking the whole way is just bad tuning. 

This is not exactly true. While a clean, clear exhaust will be most efficient, it is not necessarily the most powerful. Up to a point, you will make more power on a diesel going richer and visibly smokey, but you won't get as much power per unit of added fuel. And yes, a lot of it will go unburned if you are smoking, but not all of it. In competition you don't care, you want all the power no matter how much fuel it costs. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/23/24 10:21 a.m.

I posted about this is around 2006ish when I was asked to consult on one of these trucks during my time at holset. Soooo. I'm old. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/24 10:37 a.m.
maschinenbau said:
NickD said:

It's not my sort of racing, but it's still kind of cool to see. That takes some monster horsepower and torque numbers. But I am baffled by the amount of them blowing black smoke the whole way down, since that's horsepower you can see but can't use. Obviously when spooling the turbo at the line, you should see some smoke, but smoking the whole way is just bad tuning. 

This is not exactly true. While a clean, clear exhaust will be most efficient, it is not necessarily the most powerful. Up to a point, you will make more power on a diesel going richer and visibly smokey, but you won't get as much power per unit of added fuel. And yes, a lot of it will go unburned if you are smoking, but not all of it. In competition you don't care, you want all the power no matter how much fuel it costs. 

Interesting. I've just always heard Gale Banks saying that there's no reason for powerful diesels to be smoking all the time.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/24 10:43 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Powerful STREET diesels sure, especially with computer controlled injectors and common rail. But when you're putting 1000 to 3000+ hp down, probably using big custom mechanical injection pumps because what else can support that, apparently it's a different story. If top-tier competition pulling tractors didn't need to smoke to win, they wouldn't. 

BTW anyone who hasn't watched pro tractor pulling needs to find an event immediately. It is pretty incredible, even if you hate coal rollers (I do too).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/23/24 3:47 p.m.

Safety third? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OXvWaFW4l9in4dIdVGqjkAF0G1Ev7rlf4fGp2ymV2b3RXSFKSgwbEUZzi8X3ZGwl