1 ... 5 6 7 8

This blows my mind:

2024 Chevy Silverado 1500

The fact that you can buy a full size, single cab, short bed, 4wd pickup in 2024. And for about $40k.

I'm not a GM fan at all but I gotta admit that this is a pretty compelling package.

Since it's GM, what's the catch? There is always a catch.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
7/7/24 3:24 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

The catch is actually finding one at a dealer, most likely have to order.

I keep looking at these 2.7T Silverados. I'm perfectly OK with the WT trim level as long as it has cruise control and cloth seats. I've been finding new 2024s for $38k-$43k. Most of them are white but I've found a few red and blue ones too.

One thing I didn't realize is that the 2022+ 2.7Ts got upgraded. They now make 310 HP and 430 Lb Ft. That is pretty healthy.

I'll take a blue, single cab, short bed, 4wd please smiley

EricM
EricM UltraDork
7/28/24 3:53 a.m.

Yesterday got a cel for shift solinoid. 

I am 2 hours from home towing the camping trailer. 

Second cel and only 8k miles...  the truck is starting to lose its luster for me.

In reply to EricM :

You have the 8 speed, correct? I was under the impression that the 8 speed was a pretty solid transmission? Most of the transmission complaints I have read about are about the 10 speed. 

Nick, what are your thoughts?

gimpstang
gimpstang Reader
7/28/24 4:41 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

This blows my mind:

2024 Chevy Silverado 1500

The fact that you can buy a full size, single cab, short bed, 4wd pickup in 2024. And for about $40k.

I'm not a GM fan at all but I gotta admit that this is a pretty compelling package.

Since it's GM, what's the catch? There is always a catch.

The catch is it's 40 grand ...  for a truck 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
7/28/24 5:54 p.m.

I  have the 8 speed,.

I was able to reset the cel by unplugging the battery.

Monday it will go on and get all the tsb stuff checked by the dealership service department 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
8/18/24 1:01 p.m.

Add "uses some oil" to the list.

50% oil life on the dash info center.  I checked the dipstick and it was about a quart low.  Low as in off the bottom of the acceptable range portion of the stick.  Added 1 quart.

So, golly, someone I know said that their father (so third hand information) was having trouble with oil consumption.  I can now stay after 3500 miles that there may be something to that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 5:23 p.m.
EricM said:

50% oil life on the dash info center.  I checked the dipstick and it was about a quart low.  Low as in off the bottom of the acceptable range portion of the stick.  Added 1 quart.

So, golly, someone I know said that their father (so third hand information) was having trouble with oil consumption.  I can now stay after 3500 miles that there may be something to that.

A quart of oil in 3500 miles is not oil consumption, it is perfectly normal operation.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/18/24 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I was thinking the same thing. High pressure turbo application, too

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

You can tell there's youngsters here who haven't owned a car that always had a 5 liter container of Quaker State in the trunk.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/24 8:29 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
EricM said:

A quart of oil in 3500 miles is not oil consumption, it is perfectly normal operation.

Correct. GM spec for oil consumption is a half quart every 1000 miles.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/24 8:31 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

Nick, what are your thoughts?

I am not trained in the ol' shift machines, so I don't really know. I know 8 speeds were notorious for torque converter clutch shudders (I've flushed dozens of 'em) but that's about it.

In reply to NickD :

Does flushing them fix the shudder? Or does the shudder come back after awhile?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 8:36 p.m.

I've done a few with the magic Mobil 1 spec atf, and they haven't complained.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/18/24 8:39 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Peabody :

You can tell there's youngsters here who haven't owned a car that always had a 5 liter container of Quaker State in the trunk.

Or Nugold if it was really bad. 

What is this magic Mobil 1 ?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/18/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

A specific spec with, I presume, a bunch of friction modifiers to keep the converter clutch from shuddering.  Kinda like changing the diff oil in an old Honda CRV to make the awd operate smoothly.  Or new Quadratrac fluid for your 1975 Jeep...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/24 8:54 p.m.

HP tuners and tuning the lockup out of the first 4 gears does wonders for the longevity on stock 6L and 8L transmissions. GM is about as good at sourcing quality torque converters as they are designing AFM lifters. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/18/24 8:54 p.m.

Usually fixes them. I've driven some with some violent torque converter shudders, like it feels like the guts are falling out of the transmission going down the road, and they are just fine after a flush. 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
8/18/24 10:33 p.m.

My 4Runner used ZERO oil per thousand miles, that is my frame of reference 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/18/24 10:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Peabody :

I had an '84 Oldsmobile Cutlass V6 w/worn valve seals where I added one quart of oil on Monday morning or 125 miles.  

I learned what "spark plug anti-foulers" were when I kept showing up at Trak Auto to buy spark plugs.  

If motivated I could fully accelerate onto the highway blowing clouds of black smoke like I was rolling coal.  I was young and an idiot and I would never do that today. 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
8/18/24 10:46 p.m.
NickD said:
Streetwiseguy said:
EricM said:

Correct. GM spec for oil consumption is a half quart every 1000 miles.

Ok, got it.  I'll just check the dip stick regularly.

Thanks

Helo735
Helo735 New Reader
9/11/24 8:44 a.m.

93k mile update on mine. 

Just some maintenance items wanting done: front brakes (still got 30% but rotors are warped), spark plugs, tires, a new fuel door assembly, and fluid flushes. It probably needs rear shocks. They're not leaking, but I've done a LOT of heavy towing, and the last time I hauled the camper, it felt a little squishy. Could have also been the crap Dunlops I put on it. 

Oil consumption has not been alarming to me. Maybe half a quart between changes. It does consume a bit more when towing heavy; I used two quarts from Ohio to Utah both trips, around 1900 miles one way. The unloaded trips to Ohio showed no consumption. 

I work at a Ford dealer, and keep eyeballing the new F150 with the Coyote....but I can't get over how well this Silverado has treated us. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/24 10:02 a.m.

I may have missed it but what are people getting MPG wise? Run premium fuel? Also can these run e85 factory?

Thanks

EricM
EricM UltraDork
9/11/24 7:33 p.m.

I'm getting 23mpg mixed when not towing .

The owners manual says to use 85 octane.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUqadHEipDs2IKrzxh0nbCkri0IhCwnZ4l8CZ2WZoJCQRSGUo0MSmzWly9dLgDSX