1 2 3 4 ... 7
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/8/16 9:00 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: We had early voting for the first time in Minnesota so I did it a couple days ago, figuring I'd beat the rush. No such luck, the line was a mile long and it took an hour. If that's any sign, voter turnout is going to be really heavy.

Here in Ohio (well, my polling location) there were long lines for early voting and no line at all at 8:30am voting day.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/16 9:11 a.m.

SWMBO and I walked to our polling location (the one time where living two doors down from the local HS works in our favor...) before I left for work. Last time I voted (non-Presidential year) there was essentially no line for my precinct- this year we had to wait about 10 minutes. Looks like the majority of my co-workers have 'I Voted' stickers on. We were kind of surprised to learn that the polls close at 6pm- we discussed it on the walk home that it seemed like that would make it difficult for people who worked a normal job with a bit of overtime and worked a ways away from home (which a number of people do).

I really wish Election Day was a holiday- both so more people would vote and because it looks like it's going to be one of the last moderately warm days for a while and I want to get some work done on the Jeep.

Am looking forward to after work today- there's a yuuuuuge election sign at an intersection near my house I hope to grab (yay free coroplast day!), and SWMBO is going to be spending the evening watching scary movies at a friend's house (to quote her, "I don't like scary movies, but it's less scary that what will be on every TV station...") so I can have whatever I want for dinner and go to town on the Jeep.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/8/16 9:12 a.m.

May not make it in time. Getting a very late start leaving the shop. Have to be at work before voting started and likely won't be off until after it's done.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
11/8/16 9:23 a.m.

voted, a mild controversy and shouting match, where I vote, but otherwise no big deal.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/8/16 9:29 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: We had early voting for the first time in Minnesota so I did it a couple days ago, figuring I'd beat the rush. No such luck, the line was a mile long and it took an hour. If that's any sign, voter turnout is going to be really heavy.
Here in Ohio (well, my polling location) there were long lines for early voting and no line at all at 8:30am voting day.

I got to my polling location at 7am hoping the college students would still be asleep (it is just north of campus) but it still took me 50 minutes to get through the line.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/16 9:32 a.m.

Got there at 10 am, no line, was done in 5 minutes. Gotta love working from home!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/16 9:45 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: We were kind of surprised to learn that the polls close at 6pm- we discussed it on the walk home that it seemed like that would make it difficult for people who worked a normal job with a bit of overtime and worked a ways away from home (which a number of people do).

Wow, that seems unnaturally early. Here in DE, polls open at 7:00a and if you're in line by 8:00p, you get to vote, no matter how long it takes.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/8/16 9:51 a.m.

In line for 10 mins, I was the 260th person to vote at our precinct.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/8/16 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Duke: Ky law says the polls shall be open from 6 am to 6 pm, if you are in line at 6 pm you get to vote no matter what.

The weird thing about Ky is that our counties are so tiny because the law said you had to be able to ride your horse from anywhere in the county to the county seat, vote, and return home in a single day. The result is a moderately small state with an absurd number of counties (120).

Ashyukun
11/8/16 9:55 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: We were kind of surprised to learn that the polls close at 6pm- we discussed it on the walk home that it seemed like that would make it difficult for people who worked a normal job with a bit of overtime and worked a ways away from home (which a number of people do).
Wow, that seems unnaturally early. Here in DE, polls open at 7:00a and if you're in line by 8:00p, you get to vote, no matter how long it takes.

The polls here opened at 6am and close at 6pm- but like everyplace AFAIK if you're in line when the polls close you get to cast your ballot. It surprised me too as I had thought they didn't close until 8pm or so.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/16 9:59 a.m.

I voted. I was surprised to see that my polling place had many signs, flyers and pamphlets for one particular candidate, but not the other. That's the first time I had seen that.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
11/8/16 10:06 a.m.

Is is safe to start stealing the coroplast yet? I've got 100 "Posted No Hunting" posters to put up on my property and I'm not interested in paying for wood.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/8/16 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

It's your civic duty to clean up the litter

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/16 10:12 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Is is safe to start stealing the coroplast yet? I've got 100 "Posted No Hunting" posters to put up on my property and I'm not interested in paying for wood.

I'd wait until midnight just to be sure.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/16 10:15 a.m.

Absentee vote, every year.

No lines and I cannot be affected by last minute advertisement since I voted 3 weeks ago!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/16 10:15 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I voted. I was surprised to see that my polling place had many signs, flyers and pamphlets for one particular candidate, but not the other. That's the first time I had seen that.

I thought that was illegal!?!? Within 500 feet or something.

Ashyukun
11/8/16 10:18 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: Is is safe to start stealing the coroplast yet? I've got 100 "Posted No Hunting" posters to put up on my property and I'm not interested in paying for wood.
I'd wait until midnight just to be sure.

I plan to wait until after the polls close- IOW right about when I'll be heading home from work. There's a MASSIVE like 4' x 3' sign on an easement at an intersection a short ways from my house that I'm really hoping to snag- could make LOTS of fun stuff out of that.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/8/16 10:20 a.m.

Sorry to disagree with the echo chamber in here, but I side with Mike Rowe on the voting issue.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/mike-rowe-dirty-jobs-vote-right/2016/10/28/id/755867/

Ashyukun
11/8/16 10:20 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: I voted. I was surprised to see that my polling place had many signs, flyers and pamphlets for one particular candidate, but not the other. That's the first time I had seen that.

I thought it was only 100 feet, but I don't pay a lot of attention. There weren't any candidate signs on the school property where our polling place was which was fine by me- it helps that the school atrium where the polling is done is a good ways from the main road & entrance to the school.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/8/16 10:22 a.m.

I love free material--what would/should I do with the coroplast if I get some?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/8/16 10:24 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
aircooled wrote:
I thought it was only 100 feet, but I don't pay a lot of attention. There weren't any candidate signs on the school property where our polling place was which was fine by me- it helps that the school atrium where the polling is done is a good ways from the main road & entrance to the school.

There were a bunch at my polling place, but there was also a very straight line that they did not cross. I suspect someone measured it specifically. No presidential ones, all local.

Our local elections are very easy--until a certain politician is no longer in power, I will vote against said politicians party in everything local, period. Normally I'd admonish such tactics, but jeebers is it bad here.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/16 10:31 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
Duke wrote:
The polls here opened at 6am and close at 6pm- but like everyplace AFAIK if you're in line when the polls close you get to cast your ballot. It surprised me too as I had thought they didn't close until 8pm or so.

Yea, a 6pm closing time would definitely make things difficult for me. Fortunately, PA is 7am to 8pm as well. Planning to go after work tonight.

SWMBO's mom reported some trouble with the polling machine at her location a little ways east of Pittsburgh. She kept trying to pick "candidate A" in one of the down ballot races, the machine kept insisting on "candidate B." Eventually it got sorted and corrected, but she was evidently not the only one there to have a problem. Hopefully just a very localized fluke, the last thing this election needs is legitimacy brought to the claims that it's "rigged" (at least in the most overt and direct sense.)

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/8/16 10:31 a.m.

Mid day vote in a small town. In and out in 5 minutes.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
11/8/16 10:38 a.m.

My mom is working as a polling place official in my hometown. I did it a few times when I was younger, it was a tough gig then. Can't imagine how tough it is today. Please thank the workers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/16 10:52 a.m.

just got back from voting. Relatively painless, but the place was mobbed

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WYWc0cqSuUXY2IyI1hWAyUZRKSH8FUYC2060CoELptmSfchjU4L3Y4ydFdQmEpeq