1 2 3 4
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/23 11:15 a.m.

In a way it's good to see how many of you fight this battle also. My best friend and build partner suffers from depression, and basically counters it by being really active, always building, always learning, which I find admirable. I'm more lazy indecision

As for me, I've had two extremes -  on one end is like staring into the abyss. It's a brutal existential crisis where I literally cannot find a reason to leave the bed. If I had suicidal tendencies (for whatever reason I do not) I'd probably just end it all. The cure for this which makes me misty thinking about it, is my wifes love. Her caring is like a counter-gravitational push that ultimately gets me back to my feet.

The other end is almost worse. It's low level and seeps into my life like the air becoming progressively more viscous - but you forget that it's there and think that the air was meant to be this thick. The cure for that? Mainly what my friend does -  take a walk, work in the yard, go for a drive, spend time with my animals, interact with other people. I won't do drugs. Haven't liked the ones that I've tried.

Keep talking. Good stuff here.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/23 1:22 p.m.

Most of my depression stems from others and not being heard. My brother and I were talking about it the other day and he mentioned that his wife was reading a book called "Good boundaries and goodbyes". I haven't read the book but the title resonated with my feelings. There are people who, no matter how good their intentions, constantly drag you down. Some people can tune these personalities out but I seem to be very sensitive to them. Unfortunately, the only cure I've found is to cut those people out of my life. Each time I've gone through the entire mourning process as if they had died, because in my mind they had. In the end I've come out better for it though.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
4/28/23 1:45 p.m.

Thanks to the person who resurrected this thread. It reminded me that for a while I've been way past the point where I needed counseling and so I finally just now made the call. Part of the delay has been I've been too busy making sure everyone else is okay and haven't been taking the time to make sure that I'm okay. I normally manage my depression with running and hobbies, but an injury has kept me sidelined for months while other distractions are keeping me from my hobbies. My mom passed away last month and now there's the added weight of dealing with her estate, so I'm pretty much maxed out now. Im actually looking forward to my appointment next week.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/28/23 9:56 p.m.

Yes.  It sounds like a good time to get the ball rolling.

Life is kinda like an aircraft - you need to put your oxygen mask on first before you try to help others.  Do the appointment and breathe deep.

Then come back and tell us all about it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ngjl9bjih2D3WiYVXPI8ioFcIexfoZlZqts9hqf0QbN7YcKNZtalqyzXdmlibAZG