1 2 3 4 5
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/12/22 6:16 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

You just planned a road trip for me. I'm only 3-4 hours from Portland, so I think a tour is in order. 

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/12/22 6:21 p.m.

I stopped adding tonic to my gin about 15 years ago, it was just too much sugar.  I'm not a fan of artifitial sweetners, so these days it's just gin on the rocks or gin and soda with a splash of grapefruit.  The latter is a great breakfast/brunch drink. 

As for gin brands, Tanqueray (either original or Rangpur) for mixing, Botanist for on the rocks.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 6:30 p.m.

Tonic water is supposed to be good for muscle aches, which is my excuse for mixing Aviation and whatever tonic water I can find.

A slight aside from jynnan tonnyx, Malört and tonic is really, really good.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/22 6:33 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

You just planned a road trip for me. I'm only 3-4 hours from Portland, so I think a tour is in order. 

Ha, glad to help. Pizza place in question: https://pizzathief.com/

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/12/22 6:37 p.m.

It's relatively expensive gin, but Nikka coffey gin is by far my favorite.  Note: it doesn't taste like coffey, it's from a coffey still. Nikka + seltzer + a tiny bit of lime juice. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
9/12/22 6:37 p.m.

I've never gotten into the classic gins, but I do enjoy Bloom gin with seltzer and sometimes a dash of bitters. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/12/22 6:38 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Just so you know, the juniper makes it all taste like soap.

I'm a G&T fan. 

Ftfy

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/22 6:47 p.m.
calteg said:

It's relatively expensive gin, but Nikka coffey gin is by far my favorite.  Note: it doesn't taste like coffey, it's from a coffey still. Nikka + seltzer + a tiny bit of lime juice. 

Do they make a whiskey? The name sounds really familiar.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/22 7:07 p.m.

The only gin's I drink are in Dirty Martinis but it's either Beefeater or a alarmingly cheap one whose name escapes me but I'll look when I'm home

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/12/22 7:56 p.m.

A topic near and dear to my liver. First, the tonic: I've tried most of the ones mentioned, and tend to default to Fever Tree Mediterranean. I really didn't like the Q that so many seem to prefer - don't recall exactly why, as it was a while ago. Schweppes is good as an alternate. Small containers are a must.

Now, gin. For everyday, I go for Bombay (not Sapphire - too watery for G&Ts, but good for martinis) or Citadelle (French, and a really nice largely traditional flavor profile). For special occasions, I've tried a bunch but a few stand-outs are Drumshanbo (Irish), Sipsmith, Salcombe (both English), Roku, and Etsu (both Japanese). Probably a few others I'm forgetting, but definitely London Dry or Plymouth style gins over New Western varieties.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/12/22 8:31 p.m.

Boords is the gin I was talking about. Definitely cheap but surprisingly great for dirty Martinis.

Also you said whiskey is only good alone. You should try a Godfather, scotch yes but stupendous, or a good Old Fashioned. They will change your mind

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/22 8:49 p.m.

Bombay all the way.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/12/22 8:55 p.m.

Main points: 

-small bottles/cans of tonic. Use a big one and you lose the fizz. When I rarely drink one at a bar I ask for a new bottle- often the tenders will nod knowingly.  

-gin that smells good will taste good. I'm a big fan of botanicals. Hendricks is just good. Uncle Val's is another. But you can make a ton of different tasting G&T's with different gins.  

-I haven't had Q but fever tree changed the drink for me. Schweppes is good and very clean, but FT is next level. I will investigate Q. The tonic.  

-try different limes- we have a calamondin lime tree- little orange guys. And they give it a far less harsh limey flavor.  

first point is most important. Cold, fresh, small containers of tonic. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/12/22 11:04 p.m.

This is what I have currently, Gilbey's.  Before I posted I looked up a review to see if the snobs consider it crap.  

This site laid out these words, " I don’t think I would guess the price by the nose. It’s fresh and generally quite positive." That seems kind and favorable.  Then in the summary chapter it gives these words, " Gilbey’s is acceptable and gets the job done."  Yes, I'm not sure if "gets the job done" is high praise?  

It very much reminds me of the Colt 45  moto/slogon of, "it works every time." 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/22 7:16 a.m.

I have not had one in a long time. I use to enjoy Hendricks Gin. Tasted great and no morning head the following day. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/13/22 7:49 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
calteg said:

Do they make a whiskey? The name sounds really familiar.

Yes. Nikka is a Japanese distillery most well known for their Whiskies.

They have a Coffey Whisky (mixed grain, I want to say heavily corn based) and Coffey Malt.

The 'Nikka from the Barrel' is an excellent malt whisky. I'm bummed that they discontinued their budget line of Taketsuru Pure Malt, and only have a fancy expensive version. It was a great drink-a-day whisky.

My cheap good drink-a-day is now Paul John Nirvana. $30 Indian single malt. Sweet and mild. Sorta like Monkey Shoulder, but with mango and flan notes.

Speaking of Q Tonic. The Q Ginger Beer and Nirvana is fantastic. The Q Ginger has a bit of chili pepper in it that really gives it some zing.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/13/22 7:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

This is what I have currently, Gilbey's.  Before I posted I looked up a review to see if the snobs consider it crap.  

This site laid out these words, " I don’t think I would guess the price by the nose. It’s fresh and generally quite positive." That seems kind and favorable.  Then in the summary chapter it gives these words, " Gilbey’s is acceptable and gets the job done."  Yes, I'm not sure if "gets the job done" is high praise?  

Yes. That is a positive review. That is the equivalent of "does what it says on the box".

It's just saying that it is a solid well gin. You're not going to sip it, or make a martini, or anything like that. But a gin and tonic will be an enjoyable - if not elevated - experience.

"Yaris. It's a car."

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/13/22 10:08 a.m.

Reading this I'm tempted to start a thread on Bloody Marys...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/13/22 10:09 a.m.
stroker said:

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
9/13/22 10:12 a.m.

Gin is too civilized.

Give me a good rum!  

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/22 10:29 a.m.

I'll have to try the Q tonic. I quite like Fever Tree, and if I recall correctly the two are priced about the same here...

I'm boring on the gin front and default to Tanqueray. I do like the Freeland, but not enough to pay for it regularly.

Small bottles are so easy, but some of the tonic concentrates to mix with soda water are quite nice, and you naturally get a little more control there.

Naturally I have a soft spot for the Ransom Old Tom gin, but generally prefer more conventional gin.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/13/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

They do. It tastes like band aides unfortunately. I tried the whiskey first, hated it and had written the brand off entirely. Then a bar tender I trust mentioned the gin and I fell in love with it. Austin Reserve gin is quite good as well (and local to me).

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/22 10:41 a.m.
stroker said:

I'll join in on that also. Starting to think I might have a problem. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/13/22 10:43 a.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

I'll have to try the Q tonic. I quite like Fever Tree, and if I recall correctly the two are priced about the same here...

I'm boring on the gin front and default to Tanqueray. I do like the Freeland, but not enough to pay for it regularly.

Small bottles are so easy, but some of the tonic concentrates to mix with soda water are quite nice, and you naturally get a little more control there.

Naturally I have a soft spot for the Ransom Old Tom gin, but generally prefer more conventional gin.

I always buy the small bottles of the tonic, and I, too, have really enjoyed the fever tree stuff, especially as it's pretty low sugar. I will try the Q soon to test. Maybe that means I need to have two back to back.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/13/22 11:01 a.m.

The site that reviewed my gin also reviews tonic water. Sort by rating and Fever Tree is very highly rated followed by Q products.  Schweppes Bitter Lemon and Schweppes Tonic (US) rate surprisingly high.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OKCLUWGbzcOqKUZ9D8CrBrVJXcpmd4gq8q6An66ZIm7dPcfqp6DN1CwG7Q7H6GQH