This is cool.  You're going awesome stuff

Thanks!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/24 6:38 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/30/24 9:01 p.m.

Got to the range myself tonight with the kid!

That's fun! A few things: 

The leather grip slid up the bow. I need to glue it. 

The grip isn't grippy. My hand slides. 

It's hard to not slam the tail of the arrow into the wide bow. 

I needed a brace. Wow my forearm got ugly. 

More to come!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/14/24 8:23 p.m.

No pictures tonight, but I'm getting better! I got a best score of 31 with five arrows at meters. What fun!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/15/24 9:29 a.m.
budget_bandit said:

In reply to tuna55 :

i'm intrigued by your shoes in this picture...are they made of some PVC-esque material?

Leather.

They are Groundies brand barefoot type shoes. They were originally a very light suede blue, but I got black paint on them accidently, and so I repaint them every so often.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/15/24 9:30 a.m.

I used barge cement to lock the grip to the bow, and that worked great. I shot the best right after getting back from the bathroom, and my hand was still damp. It stuck to the leather better. How do I make the leather more sticky?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/21/24 9:24 p.m.

I enjoyed the range again with my son tonight, it was really fun but I did pretty poorly. The biggest difference really is that I can't grip the grip. I need to figure out a way to make that leather more grippable. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/21/24 10:02 p.m.

How about some sort of resin, like may be used for baseball? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/19/24 9:43 a.m.

I had to increase the brace distance to 8", which definitely woke up the bow a bit, even though the draw is still right around 40 lb. Then the string serving came off entirely.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
6/19/24 1:01 p.m.

Like seeing a Locost sitting between a Corvette and a Porsche in the paddock at a track day... The contrast in simplicity is a thing of beauty!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/19/24 1:45 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Like seeing a Locost sitting between a Corvette and a Porsche in the paddock at a track day... The contrast in simplicity is a thing of beauty!

Ha! Great analogy. I really like it. I figured a few things out, but the kid won't video me. With this wide of a bow handle, I cant my stance nearly to 45 degrees. That combined with the increased brace actually makes the thing shoot pretty sweetly. The coach even tried it last week. Time, nearly, to get the kid started on his. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/25/24 8:58 p.m.

I "fixed" the unraveling string serving. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/26/24 2:56 p.m.

I've been using the bow with a new purchased string. I got the nock point figured out,a nd my draw location dialed to move the aim point.

Now -everything- I fire ends up in a wide horizontal line. The arrows don't deviate by more than a couple of inches up and down, but the line is like two feet wide. I have no idea what's happening.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
9/26/24 3:27 p.m.

I've seen arrow stiffness mentioned as needing to be lower for these off-center shooting bows. Could the arrows be too stiff for your bow?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qhq7CeDzIg42yjGSaXA3w9XSsBUZcVOmmX67Ry6uZ5ow2vpaotR1xIvBnf0iqwc5