1 ... 404 405 406
NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/23/24 11:58 a.m.

Nevada Northern, located in Ely, NV, is also quite remote too. I remember that the city itself even claimed that "Nobody ends up in Ely without wanting to be there." Not really a city you stumble across.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/23/24 12:00 p.m.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/23/24 12:58 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Man, that's a jam-packed weekend. You could pull it off, but I'd worry about having time to enjoy the experience. And you won't have a chance to see anything else, which would be a shame; there's lots of great stuff to see out there, and it's so different from what we're used to back East.

Beyond that, I'd fly into Denver rather than Albuquerque - it's not much further, and there are a lot more flights in case you need to make adjustments. Plus there's some great roads in between your destinations and the airport that way.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/23/24 1:19 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Well, that was the plan 5 years ago, but at the time I was making quite a bit less money and had less vacation time, so I was trying to spend less money on car rentals and hotel reservations, plus I would only use two vacation days (I was going on Memorial Day weekend and would fly out Friday morning and back Monday morning and have Tuesday as a buffer day). Now I probably could relax the schedule some. Or even take the California Zephyr back from Denver to Chicago and then take the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Utica. That was kind of my rough plan for going to Nevada Norther; fly into Salt Lake City, then take the CZ to Chicago, stop there and head up to IRM, and then take the LSL to Utica.

1 ... 404 405 406

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fez8jCclXyJ6R9j2T9TLCoTrbWPyFYqrDmWI9aDBbZJjX9J6y2CF27mvNjXVDVO8